Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #257 of 569
Not just me, many people didn't know that. I thought Sennheiser sold everything to Sonova incl. the Pro Audio incl.
That also explains why the HD490 pro is a amazing headphone and the HD660/II stinks. :wink:
Are you just a troll? If not.......

LOL!

Leo

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #259 of 569
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #260 of 569
May I ask you what is your favourite HP in thas price class? Your review sound quite negative, so I would like to understand what Hp is a good one, I would like to try it and understand your critics
I'd still take HD600 or even HD560S over it

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #261 of 569
I'd still take HD600 or even HD560S over it
Appreciate your recommendation. I will get a HD600 and try it out.

May I ask you for specific parts of songs where you see the difference and critics most clear?

I noted down in word some information and songs I collected the last months for me to test. And in all categories the HD 490 Pro is much much better for me than the HD 599 and Bose QC 35II (with cable). Feel free to alter the listing with your songs or parts. Thank you!

1. Timbre
    • Description: Refers to the unique color, tone, or quality of a sound, helping in differentiating between different instruments or voices, even when they're playing the same note.
    • Song: "Hotel California" (Live Acoustic) - Eagles
    • Album: "Hell Freezes Over" (1994)
    • Particular Part: The guitar solo near the end.

Song for Timbre (Vocals): "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
    • Album: "Grace" (1994)
    • Particular Part: Listen to the first verse and chorus. Jeff Buckley's vocal nuances, including his shifts in dynamics and tone, provide a rich opportunity to experience and judge the timbre of his voice. His voice has a unique texture that stands out, especially when he transitions from softer, more mellow tones to powerful, emotive peaks in the chorus.
  2. Frequency Response
    • Description: The range of bass, mids, and treble. A balanced frequency response delivers an accurate representation of the music.
    • Song: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
    • Album: "A Night at the Opera" (1975)
    • Particular Part: Throughout the song, there's a wide range of frequencies.
  3. Bass Quality
    • Description: Involves the clarity and precision of bass sounds. Good bass should be deep and not muddy.
    • Song: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
    • Album: "Thriller" (1982)
    • Particular Part: The opening bassline.
  4. Midrange Clarity
    • Description: Midrange is crucial for vocals and instruments to sound natural and detailed.
    • Song: "Someone Like You" - Adele
    • Album: "21" (2011)
    • Particular Part: Adele's vocals in the chorus.
  5. Treble Clarity
    • Description: Involves the higher frequencies. Clear treble enhances detail and crispness of sounds.
    • Song: "Spring" from "The Four Seasons" - Vivaldi, performed by Itzhak Perlman
    • Album: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons (1982)
    • Particular Part: The opening movement.
  6. Soundstage
    • Description: Gives a sense of how far the sound feels like it's coming from, contributing to a three-dimensional audio experience.
    • Song: „Hold On“ Binaural - Amber Rubarth
    • Album: "Sessions from the 17th Ward" (2012)
    • Particular Part: The entire track.
  7. Imaging
    • Description: Refers to how well the headphones can pinpoint the location of sounds in a stereo space.
    • Song: "Money" - Pink Floyd
    • Album: "The Dark Side of the Moon" (1973)
    • Particular Part: The intro with the cash register sounds.
  8. Dynamics
    • Description: The ability to reproduce variances in loudness. Dynamic headphones can make soft sounds quiet and loud sounds powerful.
    • Song: "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel
    • Album: "Sounds of Silence" (1966)
    • Particular Part: Throughout the song.
  9. Detail Retrieval
    • Description: How well subtle details in the music are revealed by the headphones.
    • Song: "Flamenco Sketches" - Miles Davis
    • Album: "Kind of Blue" (1959)
  10. Harmonic Distortion
    • Description: Unwanted changes or additions to the sound. Lower distortion means the sound is more true to the original recording.
    • Song: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
    • Album: "Led Zeppelin IV" (1971)
    • Particular Part: The guitar solo.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #263 of 569
4pin.jpg

Is the above the correct 4-pin Mini-XLR cable attachment for the 490 pro?

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #264 of 569
Appreciate your recommendation. I will get a HD600 and try it out.

May I ask you for specific parts of songs where you see the difference and critics most clear?

I noted down in word some information and songs I collected the last months for me to test. And in all categories the HD 490 Pro is much much better for me than the HD 599 and Bose QC 35II (with cable). Feel free to alter the listing with your songs or parts. Thank you!

1. Timbre
    • Description: Refers to the unique color, tone, or quality of a sound, helping in differentiating between different instruments or voices, even when they're playing the same note.
    • Song: "Hotel California" (Live Acoustic) - Eagles
    • Album: "Hell Freezes Over" (1994)
    • Particular Part: The guitar solo near the end.

Song for Timbre (Vocals): "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
    • Album: "Grace" (1994)
    • Particular Part: Listen to the first verse and chorus. Jeff Buckley's vocal nuances, including his shifts in dynamics and tone, provide a rich opportunity to experience and judge the timbre of his voice. His voice has a unique texture that stands out, especially when he transitions from softer, more mellow tones to powerful, emotive peaks in the chorus.
  2. Frequency Response
    • Description: The range of bass, mids, and treble. A balanced frequency response delivers an accurate representation of the music.
    • Song: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
    • Album: "A Night at the Opera" (1975)
    • Particular Part: Throughout the song, there's a wide range of frequencies.
  3. Bass Quality
    • Description: Involves the clarity and precision of bass sounds. Good bass should be deep and not muddy.
    • Song: "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson
    • Album: "Thriller" (1982)
    • Particular Part: The opening bassline.
  4. Midrange Clarity
    • Description: Midrange is crucial for vocals and instruments to sound natural and detailed.
    • Song: "Someone Like You" - Adele
    • Album: "21" (2011)
    • Particular Part: Adele's vocals in the chorus.
  5. Treble Clarity
    • Description: Involves the higher frequencies. Clear treble enhances detail and crispness of sounds.
    • Song: "Spring" from "The Four Seasons" - Vivaldi, performed by Itzhak Perlman
    • Album: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons (1982)
    • Particular Part: The opening movement.
  6. Soundstage
    • Description: Gives a sense of how far the sound feels like it's coming from, contributing to a three-dimensional audio experience.
    • Song: „Hold On“ Binaural - Amber Rubarth
    • Album: "Sessions from the 17th Ward" (2012)
  7. Imaging
    • Description: Refers to how well the headphones can pinpoint the location of sounds in a stereo space.
    • Song: "Money" - Pink Floyd
    • Album: "The Dark Side of the Moon" (1973)
    • Particular Part: The intro with the cash register sounds.
  8. Dynamics
    • Description: The ability to reproduce variances in loudness. Dynamic headphones can make soft sounds quiet and loud sounds powerful.
    • Song: "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel
    • Album: "Sounds of Silence" (1966)
    • Particular Part: Throughout the song.
  9. Detail Retrieval
    • Description: How well subtle details in the music are revealed by the headphones.
    • Song: "Flamenco Sketches" - Miles Davis
    • Album: "Kind of Blue" (1959)
  10. Harmonic Distortion
    • Description: Unwanted changes or additions to the sound. Lower distortion means the sound is more true to the original recording.
    • Song: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
    • Album: "Led Zeppelin IV" (1971)
    • Particular Part: The guitar solo.
I'm surprised but looks like Neumann ndh-30 passed most of your tests to my ears.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #265 of 569
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #266 of 569
Although the impedance is lower at 130 ohm than the 6 series HPs, and the sensitivity is fairly high at 105 dB on the 490, i find it really benefits from powerful application. This is also one of those HPs that the more you turn up the volume the fuller the sound becomes. 490 likes power

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #267 of 569
It is so weird that there are two wholly separate Sennheisers! I don't understand what they were thinking when the deal was made. They could have at least changed the family's business to Sennheiser Pro or something.

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #268 of 569
It is so weird that there are two wholly separate Sennheisers! I don't understand what they were thinking when the deal was made. They could have at least changed the family's business to Sennheiser Pro or something.

Its also weird that Sennheiser Pro would release a headphone that would appear to be in direct competition with one of its own brands headphones - the Neumann NDH30 - and with essentially the same driver…

(That’s not to say I’m not happy about it though - if the new 490 Pro sounds as good as the NDH30 without the form-factor errr ‘eccentricities’ of the Neumann, I will be in!)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #269 of 569
Its also weird that Sennheiser Pro would release a headphone that would appear to be in direct competition with one of its own brands headphones - the Neumann NDH30 - and with essentially the same driver…
Maybe odd for Sennheiser, but the ChiFi IEM companies tend to eat their own about every six months. For example, Moondrop releases the Starfield. Sells a ton at $105. Then it releases the Aria, which sounds arguably as good or better as the Starfield, for $20 less. Then it releases a Starfield 2 and an Aria 2 ...

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #270 of 569

Fresh Reviews rates these very highly for competitive gaming.

He got it right. He's using a strong amp and his ears work lol so not surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back