Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #152,221 of 153,883
May 17, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #152,223 of 153,883
"We Bring Good Things To Life" -ge jingle
In this case it just might be true. Who has heard the GE5670w tube and not thought it sounded very good?🤪

May 17, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #152,224 of 153,883

That was good enough to get me hooked on surround sound for movies - even though I only had a 14" crt tv. One day I borrowed a rollup screen and projector from a local arts show (I say borrowed, I was one of the few people involved with a car (artists dontcha know...) so I volunteered to return it) and boom! That was it. Even at SD resolution with a worn out bulb the combo of big screen and big sound was addictive.
For me it was the picture from LaserDisc (I still have some, if anyone wants them).

Seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark with such crystal clarity! One could, if paying attention, even see the reflection of a cobra on the glass used to protect Harrison Ford.

From there, getting the full cinematic experience was a must!

Very similar to the addictive qualities that better Schiit gets one sonically.

May 17, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #152,225 of 153,883
I love this keyboard, I have been through many but I have had that one for five years or so and I use it a lot.🤪
Is that the one with a zinc-metal frame? Excellent keyboard. My Mini-M is a bit better but it was a tough choice...

May 17, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #152,226 of 153,883
In this case it just might be true. Who has heard the GE5670w tube and not thought it sounded very good?🤪
I just inserted a NIB/NOS GE metal 6J5 in the W-1100 jukebox. It's the first AF position in the amplifier.
Crickey! That tube rocks!
GE's all the way.

The finals are a killer sounding pair of GE, clear-top 6L6GC's from 1965.
Man, they are well worn but still sound awesome.

Margarita time.

May 17, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #152,227 of 153,883
Is that the one with a zinc-metal frame? Excellent keyboard. My Mini-M is a bit better but it was a tough choice...
What is the Mini-M?? I am not sure of the frame on this one but I prefer the round keys and click.🤪 I found the mini-M, a take off on the IBM-M, I fixed plenty of those for friends but the key shape is not for me. 😉

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #152,228 of 153,883
What is the Mini-M?? I am not sure of the frame on this one but I prefer the round keys and click.🤪 I found the mini-M, a take off on the IBM-M, I fixed plenty of those for friends but the key shape is not for me. 😉
Mini-M is an old IBM-designed keyboard with the best switches ever made. Not for the faint of heart :)

It's been revived by the company I linked to.

May 17, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #152,229 of 153,883
Texas is the only state I’ve ever been to where I’ve heard people say, “it’s too hot out to use the swimming pool.” 🤷🏻‍♂️😅
k, business opportunity, maybe, Schiit HVAC Division:

Step 1: Solar-powered heat pump to extract heat from pool (pour it into grill?) (so, free cooling, sunnier it is, more free cooling). Awning over pool (heat pump, too, prolly).
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

May 17, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #152,230 of 153,883
... Vali 3 is hitting full stride in full regalia:
IMG_8082.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #152,231 of 153,883
Mini-M is an old IBM-designed keyboard with the best switches ever made. Not for the faint of heart :)

It's been revived by the company I linked to.
Yeah I found it but I was not a fan.🤪 I helped friends who loved the clicking but generally the cables gave out. The key tops were also missing on those I helped with. The IBM that is. I prefer the keys I have.😁

The Mini-M is also built in Lexington KY, not a favorite place for me because of the University of Kentucky lol. Last time I was there I was in a chess tourney and I also bet heavy on Tom Brady over Peyton Manning. Colts were up big so I doubled my bet. Brady pulled it out so I won far more than my tourney winnings. I won my chess games quickly so I could rush to a local bar between games and cover bets. 😉

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #152,233 of 153,883
So check out sweetmarias website. If you buy in 5# bags, you get excellent coffee at around $6-9 a pound. Green beans keep literally forever (practically). So I just roast 1/2 pound of caf, and 1/2 pound of decaf approx every 10 days; keeping the fresh roast in air tight lid containers. Given that the closes replacement already roasted is more like $13-15 a pound, you can do the maths.

Cheaper. More choices. Perfect roast to taste. Fresher. What’s not to like?

I now only ever buy roasted if I have a long run of weather where I can’t use my roaster out on the back screened porch. Roasting makes epic amounts of smoke. You can use it under a kitchen vent hood, but only if it’s a proper one venting directly outside, those over-stove combo microwave/stove fans will NOT cut it.
I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm going to be pedantic (where have we heard that before) but you lose a significant amount of weight in the roasting process. A lot of the time is cooking out the moisture before you can really get to roasting. Maybe 20% or more weight loss during roasting (didn't save my measurements). Including shipping costs it was still cheaper than good commercially roasted beans but not as much of a bargain as it might first seem.
On the other hand there is something about small batch roasting / home roasting that just seems better. I know a roaster and can get beans roasted within the last few days but it never has the life and flavor of home roasted. And of course you can experiment with all sorts of beans and roasts.
I'm using an old stainless steel Back to Basics popcorn popper. I wore out the original cheap pot metal gears and replaced them with hardened steel gears from a hobby supply. Turns much smoother. I've been using it at least 10 years.
And with just a modest cleaning you can also use it for popcorn. With just some soap and a modest scrub there doesn't seem to be any flavor transfer when switching back and forth.
Yes smoke. Winter, outdoor roasting with a heat gun. Rest of the year indoors near a window with a big box fan.

May 17, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #152,234 of 153,883
Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #152,235 of 153,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back