Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,861 of 1,945
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #1,862 of 1,945
Assuming maybe you didn't, but you didn't try any of your Raal headphones to compare between the AIC and the VM-1a did you? I'm been mulling over an AIC purchase and with the Immanis eventually on the way, I'm wondering if it's the smart way to go.

The Immanis through the VM-1a compared to the transformer box/Felix Envy at Axpona was quite noticeably better. Thinking about tracking a VM-1a down, but would really prefer an all in one unit I can replace my two amp system with.

If not, what mainly have you been listening to with it?

dude, check your WhatsApp! I posted a link to a vm1a yesterday!

friend brought an immanis to the house for a short while. but it was brand new and far from the 100 hr recommended running in time (according to the dealer). that immanis sounded a bit off to me; didn't seem like what I heard at canjam. so I didn't have the urge to play around with it much.

anyways i did test between AIC rear speaker out and vm1a with the sr1b. though it is very nice out of the AIC, I still prefer the vm1a; midrange is similar, but top end is sweeter and lush, and low end is more dynamic. also like the fact u can change between UL, T and P modes on the vm1a depending on mood.

and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,863 of 1,945
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,864 of 1,945
and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to monoblocks, then to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.
That’s a long and winding road 😁

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,865 of 1,945
I would say the market speaks for itself.

There are plenty of dcs and msb used dacs on the market but not much playback design dacs. There is also a multiple month wait for the PBD dacs, last I heard was if ordering now, you get it in august.

It gives a smooth/analog but yet detailed presentation that makes you easily lost in the music.

It is either my fave or 2nd fave piece of gear in my chain with the rowland 555 amp being fave or 2nd fave.

I am totally in honey moon phase with the rowland 555s.... absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,866 of 1,945
dude, check your WhatsApp! I posted a link to a vm1a yesterday!

I told you I was bad at keeping up on that thing! lol. But thank you!

friend brought an immanis to the house for a short while. but it was brand new and far from the 100 hr recommended running in time (according to the dealer). that immanis sounded a bit off to me; didn't seem like what I heard at canjam. so I didn't have the urge to play around with it much.

anyways i did test between AIC rear speaker out and vm1a with the sr1b. though it is very nice out of the AIC, I still prefer the vm1a; midrange is similar, but top end is sweeter and lush, and low end is more dynamic. also like the fact u can change between UL, T and P modes on the vm1a depending on mood.

and when using via AIC speaker taps, my speaker cables go to monoblocks, then to a zynsonix adaptor box, and finally to the ti1b box out to the sr1b.

Very helpful. I figured that may be the case. Good to know. I'm sure broken in, it's probably pretty good out of the AIC as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #1,867 of 1,945
I made a mistake. Sorry, because I was not there that day. Susvara through speaker taps, RAAL connected to transformer through front XLR. You can listen to both on AIC simultaneously.
If the Sus was connected to the speaker taps, I imagine another cable was used to connect to the Susvara cable? If this occurred, it could make a difference at this level. Still, I already know the Immanus is great.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,868 of 1,945
Has anyone compared the Brimar 12AU7 with the G73r? I’m really interested in any sound differences you've noticed. I currently have a Telefunken G73-r Red Label and a Mullard M8136 Shark teeth. The G73-r is excellent overall—very transparent and quick—but the vocals/midrange feel a bit dry. My Mullard isn't as bright, which seems odd since others describe their Mullard's sound as thick and sweet. This makes me wonder if there's significant variability in sound even among tubes of the same model from Mullard. Thanks for any insights!

Additionally, using my 1266, I’ve noticed that both high and low gains have their pros and cons, and I'm thinking of moving to speaker outputs next.

S__7118860.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #1,869 of 1,945
Has anyone compared the Brimar 12AU7 with the G73r? I’m really interested in any sound differences you've noticed. I currently have a Telefunken G73-r Red Label and a Mullard M8136 Shark teeth. The G73-r is excellent overall—very transparent and quick—but the vocals/midrange feel a bit dry. My Mullard isn't as bright, which seems odd since others describe their Mullard's sound as thick and sweet. This makes me wonder if there's significant variability in sound even among tubes of the same model from Mullard. Thanks for any insights!

Additionally, using my 1266, I’ve noticed that both high and low gains have their pros and cons, and I'm thinking of moving to speaker outputs next.
Speaker taps is the way

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #1,870 of 1,945

There are definitely changes in sound with the different plate designs etc over the years. IMO the best Mullards are 1950s and 60s, esp the long plates. 70s are are very good too. The easiest to find an cheapest are 80s short/box plate military manufacture, and they are are not as good, but they still sound like Mullards.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #1,872 of 1,945
There are definitely changes in sound with the different plate designs etc over the years. IMO the best Mullards are 1950s and 60s, esp the long plates. 70s are are very good too. The easiest to find an cheapest are 80s short/box plate military manufacture, and they are are not as good, but they still sound like Mullards.

I also used 1960s M8136 from Mitcham factory (KB/D) and got a few of more of those for back up. For me, it’s just the perfect blend of texture/body/weight and musicality while still offering all the technicalities I need for enjoyment.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,873 of 1,945
I'm trying to figure out if the Riviera AIC-10 amplifier has any specific input level limitations, as I can't find detailed specifications on this. Does anyone know the maximum input levels for the AIC-10 to avoid clipping?

May 18, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,874 of 1,945
I have a busy weekend ahead of me. My family is gone, no obligations. And the past week DHL, UPS etc lined up in my street, now I have quite a pipeline of new items:
First of all my Aqua LinQ streamer arrived!! Very excited about that.

G73-R from Vietnam, I finally bit.

New Ethernet cable and ferrites. Some people say it is worth a try.

Last but not least, a wall socket from Schnerzinger. Haha. I have no idea what this is all about :)

So far the LinQ is an absolute beast. Replacing my dear old Auralic Aries streamer, the sound is superb!! What a treat. Through speakers I can listen louder, room modes and reverb seem to have been diminished quite a bit. By a streamer, don’t know that is possible really.
Happy listening

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #1,875 of 1,945
Riviera AIC-10 sound tests

My equipment for the tests

• Qobuz Hi-Res – Roon
  • Innuos Zenith mkIII streamer
  • Chord MScaler + Dave DAC
  • Abyss TC with superconductor cable
  • Focal Utopia with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable
  • Various other cables which I will spare you this time…

Going bananas

Apparently, this is one of those things you shouldn’t try at home and certainly not without parental supervision… however, curiosity was too strong and I did a little experiment which was already mentioned here by the always resourceful @simorag

Connecting the Abyss TC to the Riviera speakers’ output with banana connectors is a sure way to get to heaven! BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO BLOW UP YOUR HEADSET BY KEEPING VOLUME DOWN.

Speakers output basically gives a larger and deeper soundstage without fundamentally impacting the transparency and overall tonal balance.

Remember that I am talking here about shades, small details and differences, and I that I need somehow to magnify my perceptions in order to describe them (that’s what hi-fi is all about right?). There are no “night and day”, earth shattering experiences in my world!

All the tests below have been done through speakers output for the Abyss TC and through 6.35 headset output for the Utopia comparing each to the Dave output, which for me is a reference of transparency and fidelity to the source.

Mullard ECC82: long plate, D getter, Blackburn, 1958

A much sought after, UK manufactured tube. This is the most euphonic tube I have.

Abyss

The Riviera paints a very big, 3D sonic landscape, with a sweet, involving, relaxing, slightly warm sound signature. But make no mistake, it remains very dynamic and impactful.

Compared to the Dave output, the Riviera has a good dynamic range, it puts a bit of emphasis on mids and lows, highs are a bit rolled off. It is a bit less transparent but still doing very well and it has more “body". The soundstage is amazing, much larger, taller and deeper.

Perfect for orchestral music, with effective, “tactile” reproduction of the different sections of instruments.

On small jazz groups or chamber music, instruments are larger, with fuller bass and more impact. The tonal balance is a touch darker. The loss of transparency is slightly more noticeable on direct comparison. Spatial clues are much better. I just love how it reproduces the tone of a bass clarinet, or the low keys of a closely mic’ed piano. Female voices are gorgeous, not hyper detailed but very engaging.

In short, if you want to be seduced by the music and forget about the rest, this is your tube.

Utopia (Lazuli reference)

The Riviera/Utopia combo is fun and decidedly tilted towards a mids-lows. Strong impactful bass, larger scene and instruments.

In short: not very accurate for acoustic music but great for pop, rock, bass heavy music types.

La Radiotechnique 12AU7WA: O getter, 14 mm plate, military use, 1950s

This is a well-balanced tube by the French subsidiary of Philips.

Abyss

The Riviera is airy, punchy, precise but never shrill, with instruments clearly placed in a large scene.

The reproduction of acoustic double bass is fantastic: I feel the vibration and slap of a big tensed string. Bass go very deep if needed, remaining structured, defined. Percussions are equally impressive, fast when appropriate, resonant. I can easily imagine the leather being hit.

Voices are very precise, less sweet than with the Mullard, more realistic (which can be good or bad depending on the recording). Strings and in particular violins are pleasantly reproduced with detailed but controlled highs.

Compared to the Dave output, the Riviera has a very similar tonality, transparency is almost on par, but it sounds more effortless, more impactful, instruments are less edgy and better defined (double bass for example). Highs are very, very slightly rolled off: I can detect that only with a careful comparison and it results in a less fatiguing listening experience. The scene is larger, taller, deeper but less than with the Mullard.

In short: if you want a pleasantly dynamic and realistic listening experience, this is your tube.

Utopia (Lazuli reference)

As many have reported here, the Utopia-Lazuli-Mscaler-Dave setup is hard to beat, which is way I was very curious to hear how the Riviera would do. And the Dave has certainly more than enough power to drive the Utopia.

Compared to the Dave, the Riviera sounds very very similar, same tonality and almost same transparency (which is rather amazing), slightly better and larger 3D effect, slightly bigger instruments, more weight to the notes and better controlled highs.

Conclusion: the Riviera in low gain makes the Dave output redundant. I would never buy it alone for the Focal but it is amazing to see how it matches and improves over this setup.

Dario / Radiotechnique 12AU7, 1956

This is the tube I am using these days and I love it. It’s another RT model, built differently. I was surprised to see how it flares up for second when turning on the amp!

It is very close to the RT above. In my notes I wrote vivid, detailed, dynamic, impactful. I think is adds a touch to the mid-range in a nice way. The Utopia benefits even more, along the lines of what I wrote above.

Conclusions: even less famed, very affordable tubes can be great finds!

NEW! Mullard CV491 k61, Blackburn, 1956

This looks identical to the Mullard ECC82 reviewed above, I cannot see the getter though. It was built for use by the UK military. I wonder whether it has different construction features, or it simply passed a more thorough quality test compared to the ECC82.

They sound the same and have the same impressive 3D scene, a great tube!

NEW! Fivre 12AU7 “412”, 1954

These two Fivre (see below) are a mystery to me and unfortunately there is very little information about codes, years, production sites etc. Their construction share many similarities (plate structure, micas, style of codes printed and etched on the bottom) but also some differences (grey and black plates, connection of the getter to the mica). Sound wise they are opposite!

The “412” is warm and dynamic, not dissimilar from a Mullard. There some small differences especially in the spatial representation but I am not able to pin them down. I would put them in the same basket. Recommended.

NEW! Fivre 12AU7 “575” 1950s

The “575” is a katana 😉, by far the most transparent and detailed tube I own.

Abyss TC

The Riviera is transformed in a super Dave: fast, detailed, transparent. Scene is a bit wider and larger via speakers line, the Dave alone seems a bit flatter. I do not notice any roll off of highs, violins are detailed, female voices are very realistic and they can present some hiss if that’s in the recording. Bass is not more present compared to the Dave but more controlled and very well defined. The overall presentation perhaps lacks a touch of “weight” that balanced tubes like the RT provide.

Conclusions: a very peculiar tube that requires careful choice of albums to be enjoyed with the TC. On well recorded, warm tracks it shines; a few times I had the weird feeling that the Riviera was more transparent than the Dave (is it actually possible?).

Utopia Danacable LR

That’s an easier pairing due to the warmer tone of the Utopia. The tonal balance is very similar to the one with the Dave, the transparency is on par. The Riviera is better especially with a slightly larger and deeper scene and bigger instruments.

More tube fun in the future 😉

IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg
Apologies for my ignorance, Hoe exactly do you connect your headphones to the Speaker out puts???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back