RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,427 of 1,817
The Magna is not simply 66.6% of an Immanis. It is a unique top of line headphone worthy of consideration in its own right.
Thanks @MokhaMark!

Iā€™ve been considering the Magna for the weight more than cost saving.
Iā€™m now convinced that I at least need to listen to both and determine what model is more my cup of tea!!!

You have confirmed the strengths of the Magna and I appreciate you taking the time to post your early Clif Note impressions!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #1,428 of 1,817
Thanks @MokhaMark!

Iā€™ve been considering the Magna for the weight more than cost saving or at least listening to both.

You have confirmed the strengths of the Magna and I appreciate you taking the time to post your early Clif Note impressions!
I am happy to contribute.

The Immanis (as I weighed them last month) are separated by 100 grams. I do not remember ever having the sensation that the Immanis was comparatively heavy feeling, for what that is worth.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #1,429 of 1,817
From your description it sounds like CA-1a on steroids šŸ‘šŸ¼
That is how I described the Magna, I kept the CA-1a. The Immanis reminded me of the SR1a, which I sold.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #1,430 of 1,817
I am happy to contribute.

The Immanis (as I weighed them last month) are separated by 100 grams. I do not remember ever having the sensation that the Immanis was comparatively heavy feeling, for what that is worth.
I didn't see a partnering amp listed but thought I saw what looks like a RAAL VM-1a in the background in your photo. Is this correct?

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #1,431 of 1,817
I didn't see a partnering amp listed but thought I saw what looks like a RAAL VM-1a in the background in your photo. Is this correct?
I saw that it was the VM-1a in a prior photo but it looked like it had a red coloured cover. I have the same cover, but it is black.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #1,433 of 1,817
I've got to admit, this really perplexed me.
What really bugged me was the volume on the Bliss when listening to the Immanis.
Could you go into a bit more detail on what you mean here? I've found the Bliss drives the SR1b just fine, and the Immanis is supposed to need only a third of that power. How could it possibly not achieve a satisfactory volume?

If anything, I was worried it might blow out the ribbons by accident, based on some of Alex's comments earlier.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #1,434 of 1,817
one may like a different sound signature but no way the bliss doesnt have the power to drive Immanis

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,435 of 1,817
I've got to admit, this really perplexed me.

Could you go into a bit more detail on what you mean here? I've found the Bliss drives the SR1b just fine, and the Immanis is supposed to need only a third of that power. How could it possibly not achieve a satisfactory volume?

If anything, I was worried it might blow out the ribbons by accident, based on some of Alex's comments earlier.

I was listening in Low Z and my volume was at -5 on the Bliss. this did not seem normal to my ears and listening experience. when I listen to the same song/ same album on the Armageddon with the same XLR connection, my volume is between 9 and 10 o'clock - this was what I experienced at can jam and what I was trying to achieve with the Bliss at home. on the Armageddon's 24 step attenuator, this would be at # 8. this is enough volume for me with recordings such Macy Gray's Stripped (DR 13) and Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio A Shade of Blue.

I am aware that when listening at too high volume, the ribbon may start to "distort" and you will hear strange sounds instead of the music. I did not get that when listening on the Bliss and on the Armageddon.

I have lived with the Bliss for nearly a year and I am aware of how much volume I would need with certain cans. my personal opinion was why I needed to crank the Bliss all the way to -5 to achieve the volume I wanted and even then I felt something was just not right for me. that feeling went away when I listened on the Armageddon.

To me, musical enjoyment is a feeling. it is not so much the gear but the feeling you get when you are listening music. it is either there with certain equipment or it is not. In my personal experience, I was just trying to replicate that feeling at home with the Bliss. To my personal ears, I am able to achieve this feeling with the Immanis and the Armageddon.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #1,436 of 1,817
I was listening in Low Z and my volume was at -5 on the Bliss. this did not seem normal to my ears and listening experience. when I listen to the same song/ same album on the Armageddon with the same XLR connection, my volume is between 9 and 10 o'clock - this was what I experienced at can jam and what I was trying to achieve with the Bliss at home. on the Armageddon's 24 step attenuator, this would be at # 8. this is enough volume for me with recordings such Macy Gray's Stripped (DR 13) and Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio A Shade of Blue.

I am aware that when listening at too high volume, the ribbon may start to "distort" and you will hear strange sounds instead of the music. I did not get that when listening on the Bliss and on the Armageddon.

I have lived with the Bliss for nearly a year and I am aware of how much volume I would need with certain cans. my personal opinion was why I needed to crank the Bliss all the way to -5 to achieve the volume I wanted and even then I felt something was just not right for me. that feeling went away when I listened on the Armageddon.

To me, musical enjoyment is a feeling. it is not so much the gear but the feeling you get when you are listening music. it is either there with certain equipment or it is not. In my personal experience, I was just trying to replicate that feeling at home with the Bliss. To my personal ears, I am able to achieve this feeling with the Immanis and the Armageddon.
Do you also have a Susvara? On the Susvara, depending on the recording I can go to -5 for the correct volume. Usually around this level with the RCA input and -10 or so if connected via XLR to the May DAC.

Anyway just sounds like you are not crazy about the Bliss with it.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #1,437 of 1,817

Thanks for the clarification. To me, -5 means I've got another 15 steps of headroom, so that's perfectly fine for me.

It's funny, for me on the Bliss I'm running most headphones somewhere between -10 and 0, regardless of their supposedly big differences in drivability. Diana MR is supposed to be easy to drive, for example, and it's still usually at -8 or so. I just figured it was a voltage vs. current thing, though I really don't know. At any rate, Susvara and Tungsten both sound good on it to me even if they don't have much head-room. Seems like Immanis is going to behave like anything else.

You've put my mind at ease.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #1,438 of 1,817
Do you also have a Susvara? On the Susvara, depending on the recording I can go to -5 for the correct volume. Usually around this level with the RCA input and -10 or so if connected via XLR to the May DAC.

Anyway just sounds like you are not crazy about the Bliss with it.
No I do not have the Susvara, yet. I hope to get it sometime in the future. After listening to what the MK465 can do for cans such as the Susvara, I'm inspired :dt880smile:

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,439 of 1,817
Thanks for the clarification. To me, -5 means I've got another 15 steps of headroom, so that's perfectly fine for me.

It's funny, for me on the Bliss I'm running most headphones somewhere between -10 and 0, regardless of their supposedly big differences in drivability. Diana MR is supposed to be easy to drive, for example, and it's still usually at -8 or so. I just figured it was a voltage vs. current thing, though I really don't know. At any rate, Susvara and Tungsten both sound good on it to me even if they don't have much head-room. Seems like Immanis is going to behave like anything else.

You've put my mind at ease.
Bliss goes to +12 so there's 17 steps of headroom generally speaking, but the steps are not exactly linear. I was listening to some music for example tonight, at -30 was a bit too quiet for the recording, turned it up by 5 steps (to -25, could have been fine by just -2 or -3, I just like jumps of 5) and it felt like 10dB at least.

I haven't tried a Susvara on my system but I've read peoples impressions on the Susvara in the past, some were saying they have it on -15 for example or even I think someone was running it at like -30 as well and people were shocked at the persons sensitivity to sound.

But then again, it depends on recording as well, to me it seems we're dropping off the loudness wars because so much content now is much quieter and I have to crank it up more.

Well anyhow, I could always upgrade in the future, obviously, Bliss is not the most powerful, and I also still have the Volot which has 16W of power and a TON of gain

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #1,440 of 1,817
Bliss goes to +12 so there's 17 steps of headroom generally speaking, but the steps are not exactly linear. I was listening to some music for example tonight, at -30 was a bit too quiet for the recording, turned it up by 5 steps (to -25, could have been fine by just -2 or -3, I just like jumps of 5) and it felt like 10dB at least.

I haven't tried a Susvara on my system but I've read peoples impressions on the Susvara in the past, some were saying they have it on -15 for example or even I think someone was running it at like -30 as well and people were shocked at the persons sensitivity to sound.

But then again, it depends on recording as well, to me it seems we're dropping off the loudness wars because so much content now is much quieter and I have to crank it up more.

Well anyhow, I could always upgrade in the future, obviously, Bliss is not the most powerful, and I also still have the Volot which has 16W of power and a TON of gain
Iā€™m not sure why thereā€™s a fixation with numbers; it either sounds good to you or it doesnā€™t. Donā€™t forget also the output level of the DAC. The Holo May for example is known to be hot and cannot be controlled other than by a passive attenuator or a pre-amp. Other DACā€™s have a variable output control and can be ā€˜tunedā€™ to whatever amp you use, thus meaning different ā€˜numbersā€™.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back