PS5 Audio Conundrum
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RubberduckzillA

Head-Fier
Right, so I've sold my PS4 PRO in prep for PS5. We all know tempest audio carries through to the controller (likely dog poo quality like ds4), or via USB.

I mainly game on PC, and have a pair of DT 990 PRO 250OHMs for gaming and OPPO PM3s for music. My DAC is a SCHIIT Bifrost Multibit with Unison USB, using a pyst cable, and then that is plugged into a Schiit vali 2 tube amp. Naturally I could not use my good SCHIIT with PS4 dua to uac1 support only. This has left me in a predicament. I used hdmi audio then 3.5mm to rca into the vali 2 with my PS4. This is not possible on PS5. However the PS5 May support uac class 2 devices, in which case the bifrost will work and happy days.

That however may not be the case and it may not support it, so I have a pulse 3d on pre order for £90 (hoping tempest will carry over hdmi eventually), I've also been looking at the penrose, which will apparently have higher dynamic range higher than the mobius. I however naturally have read and expected due to everything you are getting for the price, that the mobius is not great, and has a very tiny soundstage. So the penrose is kind of right at the back of my options at £250.

So right now, I am thinking of praying for uac2 support, and upgrading my dt 990s (which I semi like, they do sound a bit bass heavy and the treble does not seem great, and they sound condensed compared to the OPPO PM3s), to either the akg 712s or dt1990s (which I have heard amazing things about).

I can justify the cost to myself as I will potentially be using them for console and, unlike the penrose which would be PS5 only as I love my schiit stack too much.

I do love planar sound, so the conundrum is kind of in 2. One 712s or 7xx vs 1990s and two how much of a downgrade will the penrose be compared to bifrost>vali2>990.

Looking for input on the sets i've mentioned here and also suggestions. I want 3d audio day 1 on ps5. Wireless is not important for me at all.

I've also heard positives on the 700x front and 900x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back