Petition for a "Video Games Lounge" subforum. - IT'S LIVE
Mar 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #331 of 352

Quote:
I should probably put this in the "latest significant purchases" thread instead, but it's more at home here anyway.

I've had it for a day and am enjoying it quite a bit; it's about time I replaced my original model DS. However, I'll still have to wait until March 23 for Kid Icarus: Uprising's release; that'll probably be the first 3DS-native game I buy for it, eShop stuff aside.

Also, since this is Head-Fi, I should mention that the headphone jack output is much cleaner than on the original DS, thankfully. No hissing or buzzing as far as I can tell. Doesn't mean than it's an audiophile-grade device (can't even play FLAC or other lossless formats, for beginners), but it's a start.

I got one too. Screw the Vita...it's too much money when I already have a PS3 at home. And glad to see you too black too. The Red and Blue models are WAY brighter than online pictures show. Good for kids but not a man.

Hope we get the forum soon! 
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #332 of 352

Quote:
I got one too. Screw the Vita...it's too much money when I already have a PS3 at home. And glad to see you too black too. The Red and Blue models are WAY brighter than online pictures show. Good for kids but not a man.

Hope we get the forum soon! 
tongue.gif

I would've picked up a white one if there were any Ambassador Program-enabled ones in the US, but there weren't, so black seemed like the second-best option.

As for the Vita...I really, REALLY wanted to like it. But between the proprietary accessories (memory cards and even USB cables now), lack of save game management, lack of USB drive mode, really anemic analogs (they have about half the travel from center to edge compared to the 3DS Circle Pad), and other various faults, I couldn't bring myself to buy it even if I could have afforded one. I'll probably get one later anyway, hopefully with a hardware revision to go along with some good games, but that'll be years later.

(And I'm pretty sure they made all those changes with the Vita compared to the PSP to try and stop it from being softmodded/rooted/jailbroken/hacked/etc...if anything, they're just delaying the inevitable and giving us MORE reasons to want custom firmware on the Vita.)

Oh, and as for our new subforum, someone's going to have to make a sticky thread for all the networking IDs and friend codes and whatnot, now that I think about it. Who's going to manage that thread? (Also, if we get enough users, should we break it up per service? For instance, one thread for Steam, one thread for assorted Nintendo friend codes, one thread for XBL, one thread for PSN?)

EDIT: Wait a minute...is it me, or is the (3)DS's "surround" sound option actually binaural? Not sure if it works with headphones, but with the built-in speakers, I notice a distinct QSound-like effect with sounds seeming to be directly beside or even behind my ears.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #333 of 352
The Vita is the BEST system I have owned. As a hardcore game who has owned practically every popular system since Atari, that's saying a lot. The Vita has so much going for it, its ridiculous.

The gripes people have with the memory cards is unfounded, IMHO. Its typical Sony, so it should be expected by now. Hell, I remember buying a 2gb Pro Duo for over $100 back in the day. $30 for 8gb is fine, and its what I bought. So it costs more than SD cards. That's a price we pay for new, protected technology. The prices will go down, as they always do. I don't think the prices are as ridiculous as people make them out to be. 8gb for $30 is a LOT of space, unless you planon buying all retail games as downloads.

The analogs may not be perfect, but they ARE analogs, something the circle pads just can't compare against. All that travel, not enough in the way of actually precise aiming for shooters. They both lack in that department, but I still prefer actual analogs.

The Vita is still in its infancy, and you can bet your money that a lot of features are going to be added to the actual OS.

I'm ecstatic about the Vita, and I use it everyday. Its only going to get better and better. Suite is going to be out soon, so expect even more for the Vita.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #335 of 352

Quote:
Fallout 3 was too open for me, and too much RPG.  I don't like having to meticulously manage my inventory because I picked up hundreds of items that burden my weight.  Mass effect 1 also suffered from that a bit.  Bioware clearly took those complaints to heart, as they streamlined it bigtime in the sequel.

Mass effect also has a nice story, and the universe is ridiculously fleshed out.  The RPG elements are streamlined enough that I enjoy them without them becoming a burden. 

I like Red Dead and GTA because of Rockstar's entertaining writing and cut-scene execution 
smile.gif
.  Also the engine is just much more fun IMO then Bethesdas.  I like to be able to play around with funny physics in sandbox games, falling down hills and getting hit by vehicles and stuff.  In the Bethesda engine you just glide over the land perfectly smooth.

Uah, fallout 1,2,and tactics....just saying.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #336 of 352
Eh, I just can't muster much enthusiasm for the Vita at this point. I see the potential, sure, but until it's actualized it's not particularly relevant in my life. Lumines Electronic Symphony and Touch my Katamari are fun though. Looking forward to the port of Persona 4 (if the powers that be decide to actually bring it over to the US that is).

Like the PSP, I find myself at this point looking forward to ports and re-iterations of pre-established series.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #337 of 352
Portable versions of console games = EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, lol. That and new games of course. Can't wait for Gravity Daze/Rush.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #338 of 352

Quote:
Eh, I just can't muster much enthusiasm for the Vita at this point. I see the potential, sure, but until it's actualized it's not particularly relevant in my life. Lumines Electronic Symphony and Touch my Katamari are fun though. Looking forward to the port of Persona 4 (if the powers that be decide to actually bring it over to the US that is).

Like the PSP, I find myself at this point looking forward to ports and re-iterations of pre-established series.

I Died laughing when I saw that in store....

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #339 of 352

Quote:
The Vita is the BEST system I have owned. As a hardcore game who has owned practically every popular system since Atari, that's saying a lot. The Vita has so much going for it, its ridiculous.
The gripes people have with the memory cards is unfounded, IMHO. Its typical Sony, so it should be expected by now. Hell, I remember buying a 2gb Pro Duo for over $100 back in the day. $30 for 8gb is fine, and its what I bought. So it costs more than SD cards. That's a price we pay for new, protected technology. The prices will go down, as they always do. I don't think the prices are as ridiculous as people make them out to be. 8gb for $30 is a LOT of space, unless you planon buying all retail games as downloads.
The analogs may not be perfect, but they ARE analogs, something the circle pads just can't compare against. All that travel, not enough in the way of actually precise aiming for shooters. They both lack in that department, but I still prefer actual analogs.
The Vita is still in its infancy, and you can bet your money that a lot of features are going to be added to the actual OS.
I'm ecstatic about the Vita, and I use it everyday. Its only going to get better and better. Suite is going to be out soon, so expect even more for the Vita.

The Vita's a technophile's wet dream, that's for sure. Given what the hardware's capable of, I really, REALLY wanted to like it.

The memory card thing may be typical Sony, but that doesn't mean I'll give them a free pass for continuing to do it, especially given the hassles involved with changing memory cards and how expensive they are for the storage without providing ludicrous read/write speeds to justify it. Worse off, even the USB cables are proprietary now, and USB drive mode is apparently gone. Makes it seem worse than the PSP, which you'd expect to be a completely inferior system...and I'm betting that the Vita's still going to get cracked wide open anyway within a few years, and we'll have even more incentives to install custom firmware to get back to the PSP's level of functionality regarding saves, USB storage, and other little things.

The Circle Pads are analog input devices too, so I don't see what advantage the Vita's sticks have, especially when I find them to feel much worse. Also, if 3DS developers were smart (and the likes of Capcom and Konami apparently aren't going by Resident Evil: Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater), they'd use the touchscreen to aim, NOT the Circle Pad Pro, because it's the best thing I've found for aiming on a handheld short of pairing up a Bluetooth computer mouse. They should take a page from Metroid Prime: Hunters and Kid Icarus: Uprising already! As for the Vita, the rear trackpad could work well in much the same way, but I'm not seeing it used that way just yet. Kind of a shame, since I think that rear trackpad is where a lot of the Vita's gaming potential lies, and I don't just mean aiming in shooters. It's an innovative feature that's unusually low-key compared to the rest of the specs...

Finally, I'm sure I'll warm up to the Vita at least a little by the time it's a year old. I certainly didn't like the 3DS all that much at launch either. Modern platforms need some time to get all the firmware bugs out, add some new features (some of which were supposed to be in at launch, but didn't make it in time), bring out the killer apps, and so forth. The Vita's only had about 3 or 4 months, including its time over in Japan, which isn't enough for all of that to get sorted out.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #340 of 352
I'm not sure what your problem with the Vita sticks are. There are not amazing but definitely usable and a massive step up from what we've ever had before on a portable. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #341 of 352
If I didn't state it clearly before, it's that I think they have too little throw from center to edge as is, about half that of the 3DS Circle Pad. Not a whole lot of room to actually make use of the analog aspect, unless you increase leverage by putting thicker caps on the analog sticks. Also, they might feel a bit better if they had concave tops instead of convex ones.

They're still a step up from the PSP analog nub (which was abysmal), but the 3DS Circle Pad basically spoiled me for analog control on a portable, even if it's basically a larger PSP analog nub with smoother movement and MUCH better placement. Damn shame, too, since I really didn't want a kludgy peripheral like the Circle Pad Pro just to have dual analog control on a portable device. (Honestly, what were they thinking with that thing? Should've been built into the 3DS to begin with if it even crossed their mind. I wouldn't mind a size increase if that's what it takes to implement a second Circle Pad on the right with the face buttons below it (think Wii U tablet controller), a second set of shoulder buttons, and best of all, a larger battery for increased runtime!)

To be frank, I'm not sure how people actually prefer the little Vita sticks without enough movement range, but to each their own. In a matter of opinion, there's no wrong or right. It would be less problematic on a PC or console because you can just change input devices, but that's not so easy on a handheld...

Also note that if I'm being a bit harsh on the Vita, it's because I want Sony to learn from their mistakes and bring out something I would gladly play games on. Since it just got released in North America, there's plenty of time to bring things up to speed; after all, I didn't consider the 3DS to be worth it until the firmware updates added more functionality, the price dropped, and killer apps started releasing a year after its launch.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #342 of 352
All this talk of the Vita is making my wallet cringe.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #343 of 352
once the vita gets jail broken count me, as for now sony can keep dreaming with those memory card prices. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #344 of 352
Once the Vita gets custom firmware of its own, I'm definitely getting one. Custom firmware was actually the reason I got a PSP, since it became much more functional as a result. I could even use plugins like MacroFire to tweak and diagnose that analog nub, and knowing the community, they'll restore save game management, USB drive mode, and everything else I can think of. Won't fix the analogs or the expensive memory cards, but it'll still fix a lot of what bugs me with the system as is, I hope.

Even better yet, they'll make it so that I can port my UMD PSP games over to the Vita. Rip 'em on the PSP, put the images on the Vita, run them in its PSP emulator with a better screen and better controls...that's more like it.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #345 of 352
It took me a while, but I managed to find this gaming headset review which I remembered and put it in the forum, as well as the original DT770 headset mod thread. Hope they are useful. I thought they were pretty cool. Now I'm off to catch up with Halo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back