Opinions: IEM for competitive gaming?
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 39
They are incredible accurate soundstage wise. I know a few other gamers that only play competitive FPS and bought the custom version of these. They are very good, very good. Type ej07m review gaming in YouTube
That guy haas been around the block when it comes to iems and gaming

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 39
They are incredible accurate soundstage wise. I know a few other gamers that only play competitive FPS and bought the custom version of these. They are very good, very good. Type ej07m review gaming in YouTube
I could see that being the case. My exploits at CanJam London are in official thread but I found my ones to be the most accurate sound out of everything I compared them to (64 Audio, Campfire Audio, ThieAudio, etc.).

The EJ07M was similar, but the 09 had greater HF if I remember correctly hence it suited my needs better. Very promising for gaming then...

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #18 of 39
Being spoilt by the soundstage on full size cans such as the Sennheiser HD800S and Fostex TH900, I'm wanting to hear opinions about whether anything comes close in the world of IEMs? Z says the Ikko OH10 has a tremendously wide soundstage, but I'd love some direct comparisons between the widest in-ears and the widest over-ears.
Wide soundstages are bad for most competitive games, you want the sound of the enemy on the other side of the door to be close and easy for your ear to *sense* *with bass* where they are exactly so you time your shots better. It's why the most successful gamers use shiddy earpods or discontinued sennheiser buds. It's not about SQ, Its about sound "texture" and "vibrancy" for instincts.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 39
I just had a thought... Do you know what he uses to run his IEMs?

I am in the market for a DAC for the XBOX One X (i.e. TOSLINK in, no mic needed), reasonably urgently as I am taking with me on holiday next week...

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 39
Get you a Chord Mojo 2 or a used Chord Mojo. You will be good gaming and portable use.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am only looking to spend around £150 at present (maybe £300 if the HD800S absolutely needs a stack), so the Mojo 2 will not work at present unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 39
Wouldn't the THX onyx work for this? I find that THX linear stuff has the best soundstages for consistency
I believe not as the poxy box of X-ness does not support audio over USB, only TOSLINK. 🤦 Hence I will happily move over to PC gaming if I can back into it.

I have posted some other DAC/amp options I discovered yesterday in the other thread as I do not want to hijack this one... 😅

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 39
I believe not as the poxy box of X-ness does not support audio over USB, only TOSLINK. 🤦 Hence I will happily move over to PC gaming if I can back into it.

I have posted some other DAC/amp options I discovered yesterday in the other thread as I do not want to hijack this one... 😅
Imho, there's no reason nowadays to not hook a controller into a PC for a month, use it as a console, then realize Mouse and Key is better... now you throw away your controller and cry a week later when you realize you can't sit back and relax with a controller anymore and your wrists hurt, but then wipe off your tears knowing that studies show your PC reflexes are 10 times better than a console players.

But also I'm just imho avoiding anything not THX linear amplification certified since it seems stuff that isn't has weird soundstages.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 39
Imho, there's no reason nowadays to not hook a controller into a PC for a month, use it as a console, then realize Mouse and Key is better... now you throw away your controller and cry a week later when you realize you can't sit back and relax with a controller anymore and your wrists hurt, but then wipe off your tears knowing that studies show your PC reflexes are 10 times better than a console players.

But also I'm just imho avoiding anything not THX linear amplification certified since it seems stuff that isn't has weird soundstages.
My excuse is that the last PC I built (7± years ago?) was a Gigabyte Brix because my PC requirements were simply to give access to the Drobo that contains my music collection... It cannot "game". 🤭

I completely agree with you though and I have always known that PC gaming is better, apart from the initial outlay. But IMO PC gaming is far more mature, so when I got the OG XBOX it was because it provided the games I used to favour and had the time to play...

Life has very different responsibilities
for me now (a very demanding but enjoyable job, extremely limited free time, etc.), so if I can rediscover an interest in gaming that fits in with them, then I will happily build a gaming PC and swap formats next year.

But for this to happen, I need to have a good run at gaming on the console I have not touched in a few years, using my preferred IEMs and headphones, hence I am looking for a cheap (TOSLINK) DAC to allow for this.

This is also why I have booked my first holiday next week in almost 4 years; I am travelling away and locking myself in with no responsibilities but gaming for a week...

As a side point though, if my other journey with high-end home cinema systems taught me anything, THX certification gives an ok benchmark, but it can be surpassed by a huge margin. You can get far more refinement if you know what to look for. Trust your ears, not a licencing fee that some manufacturers choose to pay to reproduce "loud sounds with minimal distortion" (in essence that is all THX is). Sound quality has far more to it than performance at THX 0...

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 39
I just had a thought... Do you know what he uses to run his IEMs?

I am in the market for a DAC for the XBOX One X (i.e. TOSLINK in, no mic needed), reasonably urgently as I am taking with me on holiday next week...
I don't know it's a great question. He streams from time to time I'll ask him next time I see him online!!!

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 39
I don't know it's a great question. He streams from time to time I'll ask him next time I see him online!!!
I watched some more of his videos and he mentioned a high-end Topping stack as he wants to future proof himself for power hungry headphones...

The video could be outdated though so it will be interesting to hear what he says.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 39
My excuse is that the last PC I built (7± years ago?) was a Gigabyte Brix because my PC requirements were simply to give access to the Drobo that contains my music collection... It cannot "game". 🤭

I completely agree with you though and I have always known that PC gaming is better, apart from the initial outlay. But IMO PC gaming is far more mature, so when I got the OG XBOX it was because it provided the games I used to favour and had the time to play...

Life has very different responsibilities
for me now (a very demanding but enjoyable job, extremely limited free time, etc.), so if I can rediscover an interest in gaming that fits in with them, then I will happily build a gaming PC and swap formats next year.

But for this to happen, I need to have a good run at gaming on the console I have not touched in a few years, using my preferred IEMs and headphones, hence I am looking for a cheap (TOSLINK) DAC to allow for this.

This is also why I have booked my first holiday next week in almost 4 years; I am travelling away and locking myself in with no responsibilities but gaming for a week...

As a side point though, if my other journey with high-end home cinema systems taught me anything, THX certification gives an ok benchmark, but it can be surpassed by a huge margin. You can get far more refinement if you know what to look for. Trust your ears, not a licencing fee that some manufacturers choose to pay to reproduce "loud sounds with minimal distortion" (in essence that is all THX is). Sound quality has far more to it than performance at THX 0...
I understand that THX isn't always what sounds best to your ear, but I thought it was "linear amplification" meaning that it's certain the amplification doesn't colour the signal from the Dac?

I'm gonna have to study more into this. My experience so far is with A Fiio Q3 (THX + AKM dac), THX Onyx (THX + ESS Sabre), Schiit Stack, BTR5 and a few other random sources.

While the BTR5 does sound significantly better, the only thing I look for is whether or not stuff sounds like its moving accurately in the soundscape, using binaural clips and games for testing (since games have a visual to confirm the auditory queues), and the two THX units so far have been far more consistent and rhey

Oct 26, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 39
I understand that THX isn't always what sounds best to your ear, but I thought it was "linear amplification" meaning that it's certain the amplification doesn't colour the signal from the Dac?

I'm gonna have to study more into this. My experience so far is with A Fiio Q3 (THX + AKM dac), THX Onyx (THX + ESS Sabre), Schiit Stack, BTR5 and a few other random sources.

While the BTR5 does sound significantly better, the only thing I look for is whether or not stuff sounds like its moving accurately in the soundscape, using binaural clips and games for testing (since games have a visual to confirm the auditory queues), and the two THX units so far have been far more consistent and rhey
Being a gaming thread, it is safe to say that your primary usage has different priorities to mine, and it sounds like it benefits this use case.

What I was alluding to as more of a blanket statement covering everything, especially in this industry, is that the sales figures focus on what gets a product out of the door, not necessarily the best sound quality you can find... I eventually found that there is often better out there than the branded stuff, which is not as widely advertised.

e.g. My last THX system was thrilling to listen to, but when I eventually replaced my speakers with customs, I found that the non-THX replacements improved on subtle nuance and other elements that were hidden behind the thrilling punch of the THX-badged kit.

FWIW though, I have heard only good things about the Onyx. And as you rightly found, adhering to a set standard means you will benefit from consistency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back