Okto dac8 Stereo Thread
Dec 21, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #31 of 66
Hello guys, what is the difference between "pro" and "stereo" version for sound quality and features ? Are Okto Research dac8 delta sigma dac and embedded with MQA and DSD ? Is it an all in one solution with the amp ? Is it a neutral and transparent amp and if so, how is the SINAD and performance, power for the amp section of the dac 8 pro ?

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #32 of 66
I was wondering the same if there is a difference between pro and stereo versions other than the chassis. I reached out to order one so I will ask that question when (if) they respond. I don't there is an amp in the dac (other than headphone) so it's not an all in one. It can be a Roon end point if you include the Raspberry pie option and that I believe can be configured with MQA etc.

Anyone else take delivery on one of these recently?

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #33 of 66
None of them have any amplifier, both are delta sigma dac:s
You can see the specs on theire web-site.
Well they are different in functionality and there is difference in performance. The stereo is a regular 2 channel version and have two pairs of XLR outputs, the Pro has 8 chanels and 4 AES/EBU digital inputs and one USB.
The stereo have better SINAD.
The stereo version is a normal consumer dac and it has 2 optical toslink, 2 coaxial, AES/EBU and two USB inputs.
Well its two great dacs but it's big difference in what options you have in connecting them to your system.
Both of them have only got analog XLR - outputs (no regular RCA).
And you are lucky, none of them do MQA. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #34 of 66
None of them have any amplifier, both are delta sigma dac:s
You can see the specs on theire web-site.
Well they are different in functionality and there is difference in performance. The stereo is a regular 2 channel version and have two pairs of XLR outputs, the Pro has 8 chanels and 4 AES/EBU digital inputs and one USB.
The stereo have better SINAD.
The stereo version is a normal consumer dac and it has 2 optical toslink, 2 coaxial, AES/EBU and two USB inputs.
Well its two great dacs but it's big difference in what options you have in connecting them to your system.
Both of them have only got analog XLR - outputs (no regular RCA).
And you are lucky, none of them do MQA. 😉
Hey, why are we luck when none of them do MQA ?

This thread is so underrated.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #35 of 66
Hey, why are we luck when none of them do MQA ?

This thread is so underrated.
It's just my opinion. I have been reading a lot about MQA, what it does and the licensing. I have heard it with my ears, not bad not good. I don't need it and the whole licensing part. Well I don't belive it's anything good. Again thats just my opinion. There are plenty of other threads about MQA, this is not one of them. 🙃😉

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #36 of 66
It's just my opinion. I have been reading a lot about MQA, what it does and the licensing. I have heard it with my ears, not bad not good. I don't need it and the whole licensing part. Well I don't belive it's anything good. Again thats just my opinion. There are plenty of other threads about MQA, this is not one of them. 🙃😉
100% agree. But then again, if you want best of everything MQA is another feature for Tidal. Then again, will add the extra cost. But if this is your end game dac, I would not mind paying extra royalty fee for MQA. Then again, I cannot afford. Too poor at the moment.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #37 of 66
100% agree. But then again, if you want best of everything MQA is another feature for Tidal. Then again, will add the extra cost. But if this is your end game dac, I would not mind paying extra royalty fee for MQA. Then again, I cannot afford. Too poor at the moment.
Well in my opinion MQA has anything to do with high end audio, its lossy compression. If I want the best of the best when it comes to audio formats I go for high resulotion PCM or DSD.

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #38 of 66
Well in my opinion MQA has anything to do with high end audio, its lossy compression. If I want the best of the best when it comes to audio formats I go for high resulotion PCM or DSD.
I have to hear it first. Like real A/B. Though having MQA is another option as part of the feature. PCM is flac and wav right ?

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 66
I have to hear it first. Like real A/B. Though having MQA is another option as part of the feature. PCM is flac and wav right ?
More like the other way around. Waw and flac contains (L)PCM information. Regular dacs normaly support different resolution PCM or DSD bitstreams (and some newer ones MQA).
If you want the best quality from a regular streaming service I would look for Qobuz, that provide real lossless high resulotion flac-files or just stream files from local NAS, but then you need to build your own library.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 66
More like the other way around. Waw and flac contains (L)PCM information. Regular dacs normaly support different resolution PCM or DSD bitstreams (and some newer ones MQA).
If you want the best quality from a regular streaming service I would look for Qobuz, that provide real lossless high resulotion flac-files or just stream files from local NAS, but then you need to build your own library.
But I already have Tidial Hifi and Spotify Premium. Sorry what is NAS again ?
Why Quboz FLAC over Tidal FLAC for you ?
Pavel did not reply to my email. Maybe he is busy. He use to be very active in replying emails.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #41 of 66
But I already have Tidial Hifi and Spotify Premium. Sorry what is NAS again ?
Why Quboz FLAC over Tidal FLAC for you ?
Pavel did not reply to my email. Maybe he is busy. He use to be very active in replying emails.
Qobuz streaming service offers true hig res flac-files. Tidal offers MQA lossy compressed flac files. Well Spotify is regular lossy compressed aac now days. If you want the best quality availible for streaming I think Qubuz is better than Tidal because of this.
A NAS is a file server, you buy the hardware and the files you put on it, it's an investment, and it will cost you time and monney to build your own library.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #42 of 66
Qobuz streaming service offers true hig res flac-files. Tidal offers MQA lossy compressed flac files. Well Spotify is regular lossy compressed aac now days. If you want the best quality availible for streaming I think Qubuz is better than Tidal because of this.
A NAS is a file server, you buy the hardware and the files you put on it, it's an investment, and it will cost you time and monney to build your own library.
Yea sure but Qobuz not available here. So Tidal flac files is compressed (excluding MQA).

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #45 of 66
Almost a week with my no streaming dac8 stereo and very happy with it.
I have heard a r2r dac and can’t compare.

Before the dac8 I had a Merason Frerot which was excellent. The Merason was more natural sounding in my opinion. The dac8 is more analytical and clean, without being clinical.

The headphone output is very good. A lot of power. It drives well both Arya stealth and HD660S2. I like it more with HD660S2, more body and more in line with the can style.
When compared to my Pass HPA1 i tend to prefer the Pass being more natural and musical.
Apologies for my lack of better technical judgment but I am a speaker guy and very new to headphones.

What bothers me with the dac8 is the lack of rca output.

I have written to Pavel the founder and engineer of Okto research who said the only way to connect to rca is using transformer cables Lundahl, about 200 euro per cable. I asked several times Pavel if I can expect same quality as usual SE connection or if there would be a degrade in sound but Pavel went missing.

I also asked instructions and pieces to order to stream with the dac8 (I know I have to source a Raspberry PI4) and again no news from Okto.

I’m thinking to return the dac8 considering the lack of feature and the customer service. And perhaps invest in a second hand Holo May KTE which seems to be the first better dac moving up from Okto. Even if Merason Frerot was very good and I could get it back and add the external power supply to it.

In the meantime I would appreciate from any user the details of accessories to buy to add the streaming function to the Okto dac8.
Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back