Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,921 of 4,342
I think we have room for a better $5K-ish Sony DAC Headphone Amp (also with a golden pot).

Perhaps we will get it when a second generation of Signature products are released with a successor to the TA headphone amp, but it won't be a successor to the DMP-Z1 because that's not what the DMP-Z1 is suppose to be. The DMP-Z1 is always supposed to be a fully standalone local media player and not a component part to a full system.

Judging by how the Sony Signature Series now have one of each item for a TOTL hi-fi experience except a high end turntable (WM1Z Walkman as high end portable DAP, MDR-Z1R as full size headphone, IER-Z1R as high end in ear, TA-ZH1ES as desktop DAC/amp/pre-amp, DMP-Z1 as stand alone music player, SA-Z1 as TOTL active speaker system in a box) I suppose that day may not actually be that far away?

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,922 of 4,342
Has anybody tried this DMP-Z1 with a Heddphone ?

It looks like power available is falling quite short to move deeply enough an Heddphone => 1500mW@16 ohms is probably sufficient for almost all of usual headphones, but probably not enough in my case. For some DSD 64 or 128, it's definitely not sufficient.

But ... I couldn't find anywhere on the web, if peak output voltage could climb much higher than the 5V used for the 1500mw at 16 Ohms and reach 15V or 18V for some low frequency detailed impacts...which should be sufficient.

So if somebody could try this setup, it would be nice to share some info.
I am using Sony MDR-Z1R with DMP and pretty satisfied with DSD format, even up to DSD256. I don’t have DSD512 track. Also FYI, I turn the volume to around 10 o’clock and it is already loud enough.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #1,923 of 4,342
A fun glamour shot! Have been using the DMP non stop and enjoying every second of it.

JPEG image-2981CDDCC43B-1.jpeg

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #1,924 of 4,342
I am using Sony MDR-Z1R with DMP and pretty satisfied with DSD format, even up to DSD256. I don’t have DSD512 track. Also FYI, I turn the volume to around 10 o’clock and it is already loud enough.

I use DMP-Z1 to drive MDR-Z1R & UTOPIA (all in 4.4 balanced line), feeling satisfied with the sound quality and 12 o'clock position is usually the max for me.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,926 of 4,342

Z1R like Z7M2 are rather sensitive, so the power of the DMP-Z1, is for sure in the target for those headphones. Heddphone are much more power angry and probably needs some axtra voltage in low frequencies to be move deeply for impacts and stay clear .. Sustain voltage shouldn't be an issue, I am wondering if there are axtra peak voltage avalaible for 20 to 120 Hz needed.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,929 of 4,342
I can confirm that @Whitigir mod DMP-Z1 is indeed better than stock DMP.....because I traded my stock DMP to his modified unit plus cash. I think his latest mod is a little extensive than what I have now so I may have to send my unit in for more hotroding.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #1,930 of 4,342
There are 5 Super capacitors inside the DMP serving this purposes, each one to dedicated itself toward a specific sections: DAC processing block, Negative and Positive signals for both channels

It sounds very good to read this !!!
Thank you for the reply ...

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,934 of 4,342
A fun glamour shot! Have been using the DMP non stop and enjoying every second of it.

JPEG image-2981CDDCC43B-1.jpeg

Looks cool and I bet it lifts the perception of the audio performance by a notch too :darthsmile:

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,935 of 4,342
I use HD800S and while theoretically “low gain” is the best way to use DMP Z1 as there won’t be raised voltage, but for my 800S, “high gain” sound better IMO
I have seen people asking this questions, and all o can say is that “it depends on your headphones”, but all means nothing if you can not tell the differences anyways “so, uses what you feel comfortable the most with”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back