My six-year-old daughter flawlessly passed a blind test between a silver-plated wire and a copper one
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #391 of 424
Before you can measure anything, from any perspective you have to measure perception......of an individual.

Until that day. You experts can keep bringing the same numbers from the same machine, and mislead or any form of manipulation...

It simply does not work. You can choose to still be ignorant and act like you don´t know what perception is to you. Thats fine, but don´t force it on others.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #392 of 424
Unfortunately “perception” is hugely impacted by other factors that are real only in our minds and not in fact real in the physical world.

Just because you “perceive” a sound difference from a headphone cable or perhaps from burning in that cable doesn’t mean that there is anything different that the cable or the burn in is actually doing.

There must be some aspect of this hobby that others claim to be real that you don’t buy into, perhaps burn in or maybe crystals strapped to a cable ? Assuming that is the case then you understand that others are in fact “perceiving” a difference that is entirely in their head and has no basis in reality. Assuming that is the case the only difference between you and others here that you are arguing with is where the line is drawn.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #393 of 424
We are getting close to religious arguments here if you consider audiophile a religion or a cult.:gs1000smile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #394 of 424
We are getting close to religious arguments here if you consider audiophile a religion or a cult.:gs1000smile:
That is exactly what the experts are trying to make this hobby. Good "observation".Kudos!

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #395 of 424
That is exactly what the experts are trying to make this hobby. Good "observation".Kudos!

Again, the reality is actually that folks like yourself are the ones that are treating it like a religion. Science and measurable data don’t usually go hand in hand with religious beliefs.

If you would indulge me, is there any aspect of this hobby that others talk about in Head Fi forums that you don’t believe to be real and you think they are imagining the changes they describe with utter belief ? Perhaps cable burn in or crystals strapped to a headphone cable for example ?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #396 of 424
Before you can measure anything, from any perspective you have to measure perception......of an individual.
... Why? Nevermind that this is currently impossible to do precisely (best we have right now is behavioral psychology and MRI to associate stimuli with specific regions of the brain), what in the heck is the epistemological basis for this assertion? The scientific method specifically has to divorce human perception from fact gathering and analysis because it is notoriously difficult to align reality with actuality using any other method. The fact we have a range of pleasing audio products to choose from is specifically due to the near complete disambiguation of the nature of sound.

How would you measure something like cognition if you can't even define the parameters to measure, let alone how to understand the difference between measurement and whatever you are doing.
Until that day. You experts can keep bringing the same numbers from the same machine, and mislead or any form of manipulation...
What do the words "mislead" and "manipulate" mean to you exactly? Seems like we are speaking different languages.
It simply does not work. You can choose to still be ignorant and act like you don´t know what perception is to you. Thats fine, but don´t force it on others.
Not an argument.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #397 of 424
1704307894468.png

Have a nice enjoy this thread!....

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #398 of 424

Firstly, I had a genuine chuckle with that skit you shared, regardless of what you were implying. :)

Now, if you had actually been reading the latest statements from the past few pages, you would understand that for proper discussion, perceived sound must be distinguished from the physical sound signal. We are not saying that you do not perceive the differences you hear between gear, or I at least discourage statements like "You can't hear the differences" since as I have been saying over and over again, the "hear" in that sentence is being misinterpreted; if you understand this point, then there is no "misleading" being done.

For perceptual differences, all factors included (knowing what gear is connected and awareness of others' impressions of said gear), sure, human ears, brains, and language can do the "measuring" for the time being. On the other hand, electronics are quite capable of proving a lack of significant differences between how two chains pass on a signal. Are you of the stance that cables have immeasurable differences that some human minds can substantially amplify? If on the other hand, you believe that the "huge differences" are in some physical property we somehow haven't discovered yet, would that make sense if playing an audio file through a DAC, amp, cable, and ADC were to yield another audio file with absolutely minimal differences between the waveforms, and likewise between certain cables, DACs, or amps? Else, the argument is that those huge differences are indeed to be measured in psychological responses to all factors involved, which is of course much more complicated and also has a social aspect.

Let's say that at least I am not "forcing on others" that they do not perceive the differences they perceive. And I suppose you too are not forcing people like me who actually own some of these cables to hear the differences, which I don't despite my last audiogram showing a threshold of around 5 dB or less throughout (and I would suppose there are still many with tinnitus who can hear night and day differences). What is your explanation for the fact that some of us even with quite expensive gear (Meze Elite, HiFiMan HE1000se, say what you will of the FiiO K9 Pro ESS) do not hear the differences others claim? For me, the explanation is that these cables indeed measurably do not audibly differ in how they pass signals through, and we happen to not be as susceptible to extra-sonic factors influencing our perception. Likewise, what do you think of the results of properly done blind tests? From my perspective, what they show is that when removing all extra-sonic factors, the tiny differences if any are not perceptible; what they don't say is that you should not hear those differences once the extra-sonic factors are reintroduced.

In that regard, it would be just as misleading for gear-believers to say that you are guaranteed to hear differences from a given recommendation as it would be for us to say that you will never hear the differences. What the science suggests is that in most cases, the differences are not founded in the actual audio signals, but in the complex interaction of mind with various factors like knowing what gear is being listened to, and having been immersed within the social context of all the beliefs that evolved surrounding that gear.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #399 of 424

Have a nice enjoy this thread!....

Once again the reality is completely the opposite of what you are implying.

You and a couple of others are parroting commonly held beliefs in this hobby with no apparent ability to have an open mind to other information. You stick to the almost fanatical dogma because to entertain anything else would unravel your beliefs in the hobby entirely.

I would be very grateful if you would answer my question above but I suspect you won’t.

“ If you would indulge me, is there any aspect of this hobby that others talk about in Head Fi forums that you don’t believe to be real and you think they are imagining the changes they describe with utter belief ? Perhaps cable burn in or crystals strapped to a headphone cable for example ? “

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #400 of 424
The reality is, unless we find some way to replicate the human condition from one day to the next, subjective reporting of differences over time ignore too many physiological and psychological.

Unless you can replicate everything from barometric pressure, food intake, relative tiredness, and mind state from day to day, you are missing the most likely reasons for any two things to sound different.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #401 of 424
It is all about how you f...feel. Your state of conscience. Call it what you wan´t, you can not take the moment away from people who enjoy their shieet!

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #402 of 424
The reality is, unless we find some way to replicate the human condition from one day to the next, subjective reporting of differences over time ignore too many physiological and psychological.

Unless you can replicate everything from barometric pressure, food intake, relative tiredness, and mind state from day to day, you are missing the most likely reasons for any two things to sound different.
As a matter of scientific curiosity I would like for the human mind to be disambiguated much like other things, but I get the feeling the ethical limits on human research exist for a reason.

Psychology, like much of science, can and is weaponized on a daily basis, and complete knowledge is, I fear, a key to complete control for people with very bad intentions, whoever it may be. It's quite the quandary really, I just hope I won't have to deal with something like the Matrix or whatever in my lifetime lol.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #403 of 424
It is all about how you f...feel. Your state of conscience. Call it what you wan´t, you can not take the moment away from people who enjoy their shieet!

That is absolutely true but you don’t seem to be able to accept that the difference in sound that they are enjoying can be completely created in the mind by outside stimuli not actual audio performance.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #404 of 424
Imagine you had to relate to some measurements to express your feelings, objective opinions?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #405 of 424
Imagine you had to relate to some measurements to express your feelings, objective opinions?

A persons “feelings” about a sound difference perceived to be created by a cable are real but that doesn’t mean that the cable has done anything other than provide external stimulus that creates that “feeling”.

The perception of a difference in sound doesn’t have anything to do with the technical performance of the cable but can be perceived as very real by the listener.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back