Monster Hunter World
Feb 6, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 59
Easiest way to get coatings is to buy them, but you can also craft them if you want to track down the materials. There's a merchant in Astera that sells them, but you have to complete some of the story before they unlock. You'll find him on top of a bunch of boxes. Forage for mushrooms and herbs if you want to craft them yourself.

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 59
I figured it out.Certain bow builds can only use certain coatings.

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 59
I'm also trying to get @Evshrug @Hansotek and @warrenpchi to play it, but they're not as excited as I am. lol
It’s not that I’m not excited... it’s more like I lost half my income, and I’m making a rising sound of discomfort and fear. Much is hinging on whether my wife’s new job will send her first paycheck this month or next.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #20 of 59
Feb 6, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 59
Easiest way to get coatings is to buy them, but you can also craft them if you want to track down the materials. There's a merchant in Astera that sells them, but you have to complete some of the story before they unlock. You'll find him on top of a bunch of boxes. Forage for mushrooms and herbs if you want to craft them yourself.

You can also grab free ones from the blue box when you start missions, even if you're not using the bow or gun. Easy way to stock up...

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 59
Yup, but after re-reading monsterzero's post I realize that he was asking about unlocking coatings on the bow itself. My bad. :)
Yep, he answered his own question before I could reply. One thing I did wrong with the bow was forget to press Triangle to apply the coating. On the bowguns you don't need to press an extra button after you scroll to the right ammo. Lesson learned!

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #24 of 59
I liked the bow originally because it’s an easy and fun learning curve. I kind of want more though so I am going to experiment.

I tried using what I believe is the ChargeBlade, but I wasn’t able to figure it out fast enough in combat and I was too sloppy with it ha. So I think I want to try to use something in between the bows learning curve and the ChargeBlade...

@Stillhart ill have to try the hammer. It doesn’t jive with my playing style but I want to be more patient in general with this game so I think it will help. I am a huge Dark Souls fan so that helped my patience a lot!! It made me realize how satisfying it is to take your time and wait, instead of just an attacking non stop.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #25 of 59
I started using the Long Sword recently and I've fallen in love with its combos. Since I'm used to dodging with the bow, I like that it's also a dodging weapon. It's incredibly gratifying pulling off a Helmbreaker and shattering an enemy's skull or tail. The Bow is still my go-to because I love the medium range mobility, but when I have to go melee the LS is becoming my personal choice.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #26 of 59
Ive been playing with the bow for a week as well.

I got to six-star lvl and am getting wrecked.The game wants me to go track a bigger,badder Anjanath,meanwhile Im getting one-hit KO'd by Tobi-Kadachi.Anyone have any tips as to how to get over this hump?

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 59
Word! I’ll try that as well. I feel like I really desire the ability to be able to move freely when fighting... With that said, even with the bow I feel like I need to unequip it and run around at points. Is this normal for everyone?

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #28 of 59
Hammer has a pretty easy learning curve because there aren't a ton of moves. It's all about positioning and timing more than anything else so it's good for teaching those fundamentals. But man, it feels SO good to feel like you have it mastered. I beat Nergigante yesterday on my first try and never felt like I was handicapped by using the hammer.

LS is the most popular weapon in the game and for good reason. I'm not a huge fan of the play style (build up then unload, similar to CB), but I can see the appeal.

Bow is an easy one and CB is the hardest one so literally anything else in the game is between those two. lol

My backup favorites to the Hammer are Lance and Gunlance. I love the heavy shield block/counter play style. Lance offers some more tricks up its sleeve over Gunlance but it doesn't have any really "OH CRAP, AWESOME!" moments. It's satisfying AF to be able to keep constant damage on the enemy while taking no damage yourself. But Gunlance is almost as good in that respect plus it has some big flashy moves that will put a smile on your face.

Anyways, lots of fun to be had. Love this game!

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #29 of 59

I got to six-star lvl and am getting wrecked.The game wants me to go track a bigger,badder Anjanath,meanwhile Im getting one-hit KO'd by Tobi-Kadachi.Anyone have any tips as to how to get over this hump?

You need to craft better armor for one thing. Go farm up the Zorah Magdaros set (join SOS missions to be able to farm him), which is a solid starting HR armor set that's easy to get.

Then just get better with your chosen weapon and maybe make sure that the monster you're fighting isn't strong against it. Check the weaknesses in the Monster Manual or whatever it's called.

Word! I’ll try that as well. I feel like I really desire the ability to be able to move freely when fighting... With that said, even with the bow I feel like I need to unequip it and run around at points. Is this normal for everyone?

Hunting Horn is the fastest moving unsheathed weapon when you have the Self-Improvement song on. You might try that one?

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #30 of 59

Which bow are you using? Now that you're HR, you'll need to start farming for gear. For Tobi, you'll want a set that has thunder resist. Using a bow is excellent on him because ranged weapon users take less elemental damage. Anjanath isn't bad at all with a bow either, just make sure to go in with a fire resist set. The patterns are similar to how they were in LR, so if you got used to how they fight, the learning curve shouldn't be terrible.

Normal for me at least. Positioning and awareness is really important with the bow because you're going to be running a lot if you're not in a party, and even then you're going to get chased often. Most times I can get by with normal movements, but there will be times when the bow gets stowed and I run like I'm a blonde in a slasher film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back