Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #481 of 575
having owned one previously, i was already contemplating on it for a second time. the guy just nailed the deal. MMT incoming again.

I’d be interested, however, to add a dedicated wifi capable streamer which would also serve as a DDC and with built in SSD. any suggestions for a good synergy ?
Having an integrated server/streamer makes sense, but I’ve found that the Tambaqui’s built-in streamer (which identifies as Pi-based) is of very good quality. I’ve not found any improvement over it with Pi2AES, Auralic or a couple of other streamers I’ve tried. The only thing I’ve found that makes a (slight) difference is optical isolation of its network connection from the LAN (although it does have its own galvanic isolation). That’s unlike the Bartok which, to my surprise, benefitted considerably from the insertion of an Auralic G1.1 as the streamer.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #482 of 575
having owned one previously, i was already contemplating on it for a second time. the guy just nailed the deal. MMT incoming again.

I’d be interested, however, to add a dedicated wifi capable streamer which would also serve as a DDC and with built in SSD. any suggestions for a good synergy ?
What made you part with your MMT?

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #484 of 575
a very unfortunate chain of events. it wasnt audio related.
Sorry to have bother you with my arrogant stupid question.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #485 of 575
Having an integrated server/streamer makes sense, but I’ve found that the Tambaqui’s built-in streamer (which identifies as Pi-based) is of very good quality. I’ve not found any improvement over it with Pi2AES, Auralic or a couple of other streamers I’ve tried. The only thing I’ve found that makes a (slight) difference is optical isolation of its network connection from the LAN (although it does have its own galvanic isolation). That’s unlike the Bartok which, to my surprise, benefitted considerably from the insertion of an Auralic G1.1 as the streamer.
sounds interesting. but how can I use its streaming function ? i’m using qobuz and i’m not sure if i know how to do this on MMT (without connecting my macbookP).

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #487 of 575
sounds interesting. but how can I use its streaming function ? i’m using qobuz and i’m not sure if i know how to do this on MMT (without connecting my macbookP).
The MMT streamer is only a Roon-Ready endpoint rather than a multipurpose streamer like Lumin with embedded Qobuz or Tidal support so you essentially need Roon unless streaming direct to MMT via Bluetooth pairing as a lossy stream meets your needs.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #488 of 575
The MMT streamer is only a Roon-Ready endpoint rather than a multipurpose streamer like Lumin with embedded Qobuz or Tidal support so you essentially need Roon unless streaming direct to MMT via Bluetooth pairing as a lossy stream meets your needs.
I run Roon on a Mac Mini to feed the Tambaqui via Ethernet. But I’ve also run via HQP on USB & i2s

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #489 of 575
I run Roon on a Mac Mini to feed the Tambaqui via Ethernet. But I’ve also run via HQP on USB & i2s
Yes agreed but direct USB / i2s isn’t technically a network stream input like ethernet.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #490 of 575
I was using HQP heavily with my previous DAC and, yes, I would like to see it. However, the fact that the MMT does its own upsampling to PWM rather makes HQP superfluous. Jussi confirms that, and my own tests of HQP with the MMT (via USB) show little to no effective improvement
I played with HQP fair bit. with other DACs it was (dependent on filters) an improvement. With the MMT it was never more than just different.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #491 of 575

I don’t recall if it’s WiFi, but I’m quite happy with the Holo Red, for not much money, driving MMT via AQ Diamond USB. Much better and clearer than the MMT Ethernet input.. I didn’t like the AES output as much but I was using a lesser cable (and I prefer not to lose the high res formats). The Holo Red also functions as a USB-input DDC I believe, though I haven’t used that configuration, and it supports many protocols, ie Airplay, UPnP, HQP NAA etc.

It’s not a server so no built in SSD - there are of course server options (I previously had Antipodes CX / EX) but for the money I’m much happier with a commodity i7 NUC core and a dedicated streamer.

Of course a MU1 would sound better, it’s just doubling the price of the MMT.

I did hear the MU2 at Münich, from what I heard it is top tier, I will probably have no choice but to buy one eventually. 😂

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #492 of 575
I don’t recall if it’s WiFi, but I’m quite happy with the Holo Red, for not much money, driving MMT via AQ Diamond USB. Much better and clearer than the MMT Ethernet input.. I didn’t like the AES output as much but I was using a lesser cable (and I prefer not to lose the high res formats). The Holo Red also functions as a USB-input DDC I believe, though I haven’t used that configuration, and it supports many protocols, ie Airplay, UPnP, HQP NAA etc.

It’s not a server so no built in SSD - there are of course server options (I previously had Antipodes CX / EX) but for the money I’m much happier with a commodity i7 NUC core and a dedicated streamer.

Of course a MU1 would sound better, it’s just doubling the price of the MMT.

I did hear the MU2 at Münich, from what I heard it is top tier, I will probably have no choice but to buy one eventually. 😂
Thanks for the detailed answer. Much. appreciated 🙏🏻

My intention is to keep it as tidy as possible without additional wiring and boxes yet still state of the art.

After going thru some pages here i have shortlisted some including MU1&2. Very expensive yes. But when you buy/make a mistake/sell nuff times, you surpass that expense…

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #493 of 575
Thanks for the detailed answer. Much. appreciated 🙏🏻

My intention is to keep it as tidy as possible without additional wiring and boxes yet still state of the art.

After going thru some pages here i have shortlisted some including MU1&2. Very expensive yes. But when you buy/make a mistake/sell nuff times, you surpass that expense…
@mbirand I do understand your point. If I will follow MMT path one day, I want it to be as simple as possible. In fact MMT can be used without dedicated headphone amp (ok, who am I kidding, I love my Envy :wink: ). As for MU1/2 I would be very careful: after close inspection of MU1 internals from below the picture reveal rather poor build quality with internal usb connections. Looks more like a DYI project than 10k product to me. Can't discuss the sound but IMHO the best DACs does not require upsampling - they sound amazing out of the box without any tweaking and the more simple signal path is the better.

Here is the original source of the pictures I'm talking about: https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2022/07/24/the-grimm-mu1-review-the-magic-audiophile-streamer/

121grimm.ins_.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #494 of 575

I use the Tambaqui with Roon (+Tidal) direct and honestly, no other input betters Roon RAAT (via Ethernet or USB).

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #495 of 575
I use the Tambaqui with Roon (+Tidal) direct and honestly, no other input betters Roon RAAT (via Ethernet or USB).
I actually prefer USB from my dedicated core into the MMT than from the Ethernet. Subtle differences but that's my preference on my gear and music.

Also, MMT does upsample everything internally prior to PWM and thus any upsampling in the preceding chain probably won't have the desired effect as one would expect.

The headphone amp is decent but loses in dynamics to better discrete amplifiers whether it's SS or Tube or Hybrid. It reminds me of the headphone amp on the RME ADI-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back