Micro iUSB3.0 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #601 of 663
@Thorsten Loesch Is there a max number of ipurifer's you can daisy chain before it breaks? When i used 2 ipurifers, with an iusb 3.0, ontop of an isilencer+ all in one run, when playing in wasapi exclusive the usb connection would cut out and needed a full reset. I assume the easy solution would to just not use an insane amount of ipurifers but do you know why this would happen at all?

The hard limit in any USB System is 5 daisy chained repeaters/hubs, assuming the USB Host only has a single root hub and not already an internal hub to create more USB Ports. In that case it's four.

One issue with using many things plugged into each other are many plugged connections and mechanical stresses that are not easy to manage, so it is possible to get a slightly dodgy contact. I doubt wasapi has anything to do with it.

I have operated a total of 5 iPurifiers in series, with a 5m generic USB Cable in-between each one (last one into the DAC) and streamed 768k/32Bit with absolute reliability, yup, that's in effect a 25m USB Cable.

The iPurifier "A-Type" was originally meant for this application, to make long USB Cables.

I do not think directly daisy chaining multiple repeaters directly will offer better results than just using as many as required to make the system work reliably.

Thor

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #602 of 663
So I'm trying to use this as a hub and connect two dacs to run from the same source but I've noticed when I plug in the second dac the first one stops work. Is there a way to have two dacs run at the same time? I'd like to use this for testing purposes if possible.

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #603 of 663
So I'm trying to use this as a hub and connect two dacs to run from the same source but I've noticed when I plug in the second dac the first one stops work. Is there a way to have two dacs run at the same time? I'd like to use this for testing purposes if possible.

What does "stops work" mean?

Do you mean one of the DAC's disappears as USB device, or do you mean your player software can only output sound to a single device?

Thor

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #604 of 663
What does "stops work" mean?

Do you mean one of the DAC's disappears as USB device, or do you mean your player software can only output sound to a single device?

Thor
When I have one dac plugged outputting sound to a device and I go ahead and plug in a second Dac which then stops the first dac and switches to the second dac. Now that you mention it, I'm assuming this is an issue with the software. I'm running Tidal from an ipad which might have some limits.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #605 of 663
When I have one dac plugged outputting sound to a device and I go ahead and plug in a second Dac which then stops the first dac and switches to the second dac. Now that you mention it, I'm assuming this is an issue with the software. I'm running Tidal from an ipad which might have some limits.

You need first of all a source that can handle multiple Audio devices. Apple OSX and Windows both can.

Second you need software that can actually send signals to two audio devices. Almost all DJ Software naturally can - you can have three or more sound devices, for example one for pre-listen and one DAC per deck and than follow with a nice analogue mixer (say Allen & Heath XONEV6). This does sound a lot better than DJ systems using fully digital mixes.

This might however lack audiophile appeal. So software like J-River and I presume room that allow you to stream the same signal to multiple DAC's in multiple zones is probably what you want.

I have always used J-River. It was possible to even stream the same track to the same DAC via Network and USB for pretty much instant A/B comparisons.

Thor

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #607 of 663
I have always used J-River. It was possible to even stream the same track to the same DAC via Network and USB for pretty much instant A/B comparisons.
Awesome. I’ll have to try that out. As soon as I started to think about my issue and how they connected I realized that most player see one dac they attach to.

I’ll give J River a shot and see how it works. Thanks for the tip

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #608 of 663
Curious, have you ever heard differences in media players?

Ahhm, less "media players" as such, more like system settings and player settings, such as RAM Cache size.

In "Days of Future Past" AMR "made" in limited quantities a Media server/player based on J-River and an HP Touchscreen plus active 25m USB Cable, so it could be placed at the listening position. Of course, those were the daze of windoze XP IIRC.

These were meant as sales help for dealers who were shall we say less than computer literate. A lot of the setup was manipulating system settings to prioritise audio processes and adjust buffering from HDD from the standard settigs to produce an audio optimised system.

Roons owner told me usb reclockers are rubbish XD

First, "USB Reclocker" is a misnomer. You cannot as such "reclock" USB. And once of sufficient quality for reliable operation, improving the clock for the USB subsystem has no effect, as the USB clock is not in any way linked to the audio side clock. (Incidentally all said here about USB also largely applies to Ethernet Audio).

As USB Audio streaming is isochronous, you have guaranteed bandwidth but no retransmission of corrupt data. This is the opposite of "bulk mode" (which is used by HDD's) where data integrity is guaranteed but bandwidth is not.

Most people a little more involved in IT will have had cases where a normally fast HDD transfers data extremely slowly and changing the USB cable fixes the speed or where one USB port drops the HDD transfer speed compared to others. The issue here is signal integrity. If the device was not an HDD but a USB DAC the sound may be changed substantially, you might even get dropouts, with a HDD the frequent retransmission of data (and with mechanical HDD the need to go back to previous data in the reading of the data chain) causes slowdown instead, but Data is not corrupted.

How so? If there is corrupt data (more often than you think) the USB Audio subsystem will use the same error handling as CD, starting with error correction (if there is enough good data to reconstruct the corrupt data) in which case all is well, UNLESS the USB Bridge consumes extra power when handling errors, which may generated error dependent power supply modulation that affects clocks or audio.

If enough data is corrupt that errors cannot be corrected, they are concealed by interpolating the missing sample in a straight line, finally, if there is not enough good data for interpolation the system mutes the audio stream.

If a USB Audio device run's in USB Audio Class 2 (as opposed to USB Audio Class which runs on USB 2 full speed - 12Mbps), it always runs in "High Speed" (480Mbps) mode even if it only streams 16/44.1. The difficulty in reliable duplex data transmission via a single pair of wire at 480Mbps is orders of magnitude more challenging that doing it at 12Mbps.

In addition, the USB interface circuitry is often on chip with the relatively computing intensive USB Audio Bridge, meaning it will be compromised compared to a stand alone item or just USB Chip (e.g. Hub) and usually are more sensitive to poor signal integrity.

These are the mechanisms (other than ground loops and USB Power quality) that underpin the audible differences in all this USB stuff. Under ideal conditions there will be nothing to observe. If (say) the PCB layout at a USB socket on a laptop or PCB motherboard is slightly subideal and if then a cable is near tolerance limits, despite both passing USB 2 certification, combine them and our problem risk materialises.

The key issue as a result is signal integrity. We have roughly three kinds of USB "Gizmo's" in terms of how they handle USB data ((power, ground etc. is left aside here).

An Isolator is inherently also a a repeater, so while it will break ground/earth loops it will also create a new clean high signal integrity USB signal on the downstream port and needs to receive a USB signal on the Upstream port.

A Repeater (often advertised as "Reclocker", "Regenerator" etc.) does not isolate (but a ground loop breaker could be build in like with the iFi iUSB micro) but also addresses signal integrity issues. In terms of signal integrity, these are as effective as an Isolator.

Finally a filter (like iFi iPurifier V1 and it's clone the AQ Jitterbug or Pioneer BonnesNotes DRESSING) is purely passive and may use a number number of strategies to avoid interference causing signal integrity issues. The effect on signal integrity is usually less than repeaters but can nevertheless be notable.

So, USB audio is subject to issues that may be improved by, among other means (such as best practice design of components), "USB Gizmo's" of varying nature.

Non of these devices however is a "USB Reclocker" in the sense of (say) a reclocker of SPDIF or AES-EBU signals, as the audio clock in USB Audio is in no way dependent or linked to the USB System's clock and clock quality in such devices does not affect audio clock jitter in the DAC attached.

Of course, a poor quality and jittery clock in the USB Gizmo may cause data errors and corruption, so a minimum level of clock quality is essential to the function. Often such Gizmo's run on chip's with a designed in crystal oscillator that only needs a crystal attached (no other parts).

Perversely, feeding such a chip with a 50 USD "Femtoclock" oscillator instead of the crystal it is meant to use will make things WORSE rather than better, as it exposes the clock signal interface to so-called "Ground Bounce" in the IC causing jitter that is absent if the 50 cent generic crystal is used...

Thor

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #609 of 663
@Thorsten Loesch if I follow correctly your explanation I'm still missing one piece: if the USB transmission has an error before reaching the USB Gizmos (like you've called those - love the name BTW :) ) and autocorrection protocol can not be used to fix it the data is still corrupted, am I right or are you referring to some other condition as signal integrity error?

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #610 of 663
Ahhm, less "media players" as such, more like system settings and player settings, such as RAM Cache size.

In "Days of Future Past" AMR "made" in limited quantities a Media server/player based on J-River and an HP Touchscreen plus active 25m USB Cable, so it could be placed at the listening position. Of course, those were the daze of windoze XP IIRC.

These were meant as sales help for dealers who were shall we say less than computer literate. A lot of the setup was manipulating system settings to prioritise audio processes and adjust buffering from HDD from the standard settigs to produce an audio optimised system.

First, "USB Reclocker" is a misnomer. You cannot as such "reclock" USB. And once of sufficient quality for reliable operation, improving the clock for the USB subsystem has no effect, as the USB clock is not in any way linked to the audio side clock. (Incidentally all said here about USB also largely applies to Ethernet Audio).

As USB Audio streaming is isochronous, you have guaranteed bandwidth but no retransmission of corrupt data. This is the opposite of "bulk mode" (which is used by HDD's) where data integrity is guaranteed but bandwidth is not.

Most people a little more involved in IT will have had cases where a normally fast HDD transfers data extremely slowly and changing the USB cable fixes the speed or where one USB port drops the HDD transfer speed compared to others. The issue here is signal integrity. If the device was not an HDD but a USB DAC the sound may be changed substantially, you might even get dropouts, with a HDD the frequent retransmission of data (and with mechanical HDD the need to go back to previous data in the reading of the data chain) causes slowdown instead, but Data is not corrupted.

How so? If there is corrupt data (more often than you think) the USB Audio subsystem will use the same error handling as CD, starting with error correction (if there is enough good data to reconstruct the corrupt data) in which case all is well, UNLESS the USB Bridge consumes extra power when handling errors, which may generated error dependent power supply modulation that affects clocks or audio.

If enough data is corrupt that errors cannot be corrected, they are concealed by interpolating the missing sample in a straight line, finally, if there is not enough good data for interpolation the system mutes the audio stream.

If a USB Audio device run's in USB Audio Class 2 (as opposed to USB Audio Class which runs on USB 2 full speed - 12Mbps), it always runs in "High Speed" (480Mbps) mode even if it only streams 16/44.1. The difficulty in reliable duplex data transmission via a single pair of wire at 480Mbps is orders of magnitude more challenging that doing it at 12Mbps.

In addition, the USB interface circuitry is often on chip with the relatively computing intensive USB Audio Bridge, meaning it will be compromised compared to a stand alone item or just USB Chip (e.g. Hub) and usually are more sensitive to poor signal integrity.

These are the mechanisms (other than ground loops and USB Power quality) that underpin the audible differences in all this USB stuff. Under ideal conditions there will be nothing to observe. If (say) the PCB layout at a USB socket on a laptop or PCB motherboard is slightly subideal and if then a cable is near tolerance limits, despite both passing USB 2 certification, combine them and our problem risk materialises.

The key issue as a result is signal integrity. We have roughly three kinds of USB "Gizmo's" in terms of how they handle USB data ((power, ground etc. is left aside here).

An Isolator is inherently also a a repeater, so while it will break ground/earth loops it will also create a new clean high signal integrity USB signal on the downstream port and needs to receive a USB signal on the Upstream port.

A Repeater (often advertised as "Reclocker", "Regenerator" etc.) does not isolate (but a ground loop breaker could be build in like with the iFi iUSB micro) but also addresses signal integrity issues. In terms of signal integrity, these are as effective as an Isolator.

Finally a filter (like iFi iPurifier V1 and it's clone the AQ Jitterbug or Pioneer BonnesNotes DRESSING) is purely passive and may use a number number of strategies to avoid interference causing signal integrity issues. The effect on signal integrity is usually less than repeaters but can nevertheless be notable.

So, USB audio is subject to issues that may be improved by, among other means (such as best practice design of components), "USB Gizmo's" of varying nature.

Non of these devices however is a "USB Reclocker" in the sense of (say) a reclocker of SPDIF or AES-EBU signals, as the audio clock in USB Audio is in no way dependent or linked to the USB System's clock and clock quality in such devices does not affect audio clock jitter in the DAC attached.

Of course, a poor quality and jittery clock in the USB Gizmo may cause data errors and corruption, so a minimum level of clock quality is essential to the function. Often such Gizmo's run on chip's with a designed in crystal oscillator that only needs a crystal attached (no other parts).

Perversely, feeding such a chip with a 50 USD "Femtoclock" oscillator instead of the crystal it is meant to use will make things WORSE rather than better, as it exposes the clock signal interface to so-called "Ground Bounce" in the IC causing jitter that is absent if the 50 cent generic crystal is used...

Thor
Wow you went OFF with all that info! Actual gold mine of info. Roons owner also disputed that roons buffer settings wouldn't change audio quality at all but I call BS on that.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #611 of 663
@Thorsten Loesch if I follow correctly your explanation I'm still missing one piece: if the USB transmission has an error before reaching the USB Gizmos (like you've called those - love the name BTW :) ) and autocorrection protocol can not be used to fix it the data is still corrupted, am I right or are you referring to some other condition as signal integrity error?

If the data send is corrupt, it is corrupt. However in this case there is an operating system issue on the source.

The issue is that a data packet is send ok from the source, say handed to Fed-Ex, UPS, DB Schenker at the senders door or to USB at the port for delivery.

And it arrives at your door crumpled (or at the device's USB socket corrupted) because of something that happened on the way, depending how badly damaged the parcel is, you may be able to get the content out intact (error correction), with minor scratches in a place not very visible you can make invisible at a casual look with a permanent marker (error concealment) or in pieces so it's unusable (dropout).

Now let's say the item is your brand new 49" double wide gaming monitor.

The DB Schenker guy delivering uses a a truck with a lift gate and a trolley to bring everything to your door with no chance of damage. If the Parcel got into his truck ok, it will be mint at your door. He cannot do anything about something that happened before. But most likely everything is fine.

The Fed-Ex Guy takes the Parcel from his truck and dinges a corner a bit because he has no liftgate and sets the heavy parcel down a bit hard and on a corner and then sets it down at your doorstep a bit hard crushing the edge of the carton, but because the packaging is designed to take a bit of abuse the content is fine.

Finally, the UPS guy takes your packages and throws it from the truck to your door the way they used to throw newspapers when they still existed.

Now replace "package" with USB audio data and the three delivery guy's with differently implemented USB "Phy" (PHYsical Interface) that handle problematic packages with different level of care. It's not a perfect analogy, but perhaps anm accessible one (it dopes of course miss the Neighbour stealing your parcel).

Every USB Phy will handle a signal within certain limits of reduced signal integrity. Some will do better with more degraded data than others so they will still get a "good" data read from this signal whereas less tolerant USB Phy's will read the same signal as corrupt. The main reason is of course that USB (and all other "digital" signals) is actually analogue.

I linked this before:

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla454/slla454.pdf

It is of course ultimately marketing for TI USB Redriver Chip's, but it explains the issues well, including how signal integrity is "magically" recovered and simple enough that it's easy to understand (I hope).

A MUCH, MUCH deeper dive is here, if you long and extremely dry academic papers with many figures, graphs etc... They make me sleepy:

https://vannevar.ece.uw.edu/techsite/papers/documents/UWEETR-2001-0009.pdf

This is of course all about the "physical" signal.

After this physical signal has been detected as 0 or 1 we have all the logical processing happening.

That is where we decode the data, use parity to verify data integrity (as opposed to signal integrity), use parity to recover corrupt data or give up and use concealment or muting. Signal integrity applies before all of this.

Thor

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #612 of 663
Wow you went OFF with all that info! Actual gold mine of info. Roons owner also disputed that roons buffer settings wouldn't change audio quality at all but I call BS on that.

Roon itself is interesting. I do not know enough about the detailed software architecture to make a call on it.

When computers were much slower maximising buffers tended to have sonic impacts. We are like talking 20+ years ago.

Once you get to SSD's and large amounts of RAM, a lot of the problems in computer audio disappear or are pushed to a low level.

A whole CD is only ~ 700MB, if your computer source has 16G RAM it is easy to load the whole CD into RAM and play from there. Heck, it might be enough for 24/192k Album.

Mechanical HDD's have a very "spiky" power consumption, enough to modulate power supply lines visibly on an oscilloscope. So this in my experience is the root cause for noted audible differences between a fragmented HDD (frequent seeking) and a defragmented HDD (all data reads sequentially with a constant power draw).

The same does not happen with SSD's, power consumption is way lower to start with and doesn't change between data that is contiguous addresses or pretty randomly distributed.

The USB connectors and Cables however remain as potential trouble sources however, once all else has solved itself.

Thor

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #613 of 663
Roon itself is interesting. I do not know enough about the detailed software architecture to make a call on it.

When computers were much slower maximising buffers tended to have sonic impacts. We are like talking 20+ years ago.

Once you get to SSD's and large amounts of RAM, a lot of the problems in computer audio disappear or are pushed to a low level.

A whole CD is only ~ 700MB, if your computer source has 16G RAM it is easy to load the whole CD into RAM and play from there. Heck, it might be enough for 24/192k Album.

Mechanical HDD's have a very "spiky" power consumption, enough to modulate power supply lines visibly on an oscilloscope. So this in my experience is the root cause for noted audible differences between a fragmented HDD (frequent seeking) and a defragmented HDD (all data reads sequentially with a constant power draw).

The same does not happen with SSD's, power consumption is way lower to start with and doesn't change between data that is contiguous addresses or pretty randomly distributed.

The USB connectors and Cables however remain as potential trouble sources however, once all else has solved itself.

Thor
Trying out jriver right now, to my ears, in terms of detail it destroys roon, but this probably sounds very silly to you haha

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #614 of 663
Trying out jriver right now, to my ears, in terms of detail it destroys roon, but this probably sounds very silly to you haha

It does not sound silly at all.

But it might make me look at settings etc. to first figure out if I am "hearing things" or if I am REALLY "hearing something".

As RAW put it:

"Don't Believe In Anybody Else's BS"

AND

"Don't Believe In YOUR OWN BS"

Thor

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #615 of 663
If the data send is corrupt, it is corrupt. However in this case there is an operating system issue on the source.

The issue is that a data packet is send ok from the source, say handed to Fed-Ex, UPS, DB Schenker at the senders door or to USB at the port for delivery.

And it arrives at your door crumpled (or at the device's USB socket corrupted) because of something that happened on the way, depending how badly damaged the parcel is, you may be able to get the content out intact (error correction), with minor scratches in a place not very visible you can make invisible at a casual look with a permanent marker (error concealment) or in pieces so it's unusable (dropout).

Now let's say the item is your brand new 49" double wide gaming monitor.

The DB Schenker guy delivering uses a a truck with a lift gate and a trolley to bring everything to your door with no chance of damage. If the Parcel got into his truck ok, it will be mint at your door. He cannot do anything about something that happened before. But most likely everything is fine.

The Fed-Ex Guy takes the Parcel from his truck and dinges a corner a bit because he has no liftgate and sets the heavy parcel down a bit hard and on a corner and then sets it down at your doorstep a bit hard crushing the edge of the carton, but because the packaging is designed to take a bit of abuse the content is fine.

Finally, the UPS guy takes your packages and throws it from the truck to your door the way they used to throw newspapers when they still existed.

Now replace "package" with USB audio data and the three delivery guy's with differently implemented USB "Phy" (PHYsical Interface) that handle problematic packages with different level of care. It's not a perfect analogy, but perhaps anm accessible one (it dopes of course miss the Neighbour stealing your parcel).

Every USB Phy will handle a signal within certain limits of reduced signal integrity. Some will do better with more degraded data than others so they will still get a "good" data read from this signal whereas less tolerant USB Phy's will read the same signal as corrupt. The main reason is of course that USB (and all other "digital" signals) is actually analogue.

I linked this before:

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla454/slla454.pdf

It is of course ultimately marketing for TI USB Redriver Chip's, but it explains the issues well, including how signal integrity is "magically" recovered and simple enough that it's easy to understand (I hope).

A MUCH, MUCH deeper dive is here, if you long and extremely dry academic papers with many figures, graphs etc... They make me sleepy:

https://vannevar.ece.uw.edu/techsite/papers/documents/UWEETR-2001-0009.pdf

This is of course all about the "physical" signal.

After this physical signal has been detected as 0 or 1 we have all the logical processing happening.

That is where we decode the data, use parity to verify data integrity (as opposed to signal integrity), use parity to recover corrupt data or give up and use concealment or muting. Signal integrity applies before all of this.

Thor
Considering I have like 4 ifi usb gadgets in my chain, is it *possible* for one to be faulty and corrupt the data inegrity? And if so, id assume the other 3 would just fix it? XDD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back