LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #436 of 452
Unfortunately Lumin is still missing HQPlayer / NAA support which many other streamers support. Would go with that way as you got more flexibility and more tuning options to get a better overall performance.

Really sad though to see Lumin supporting Roon RAAT but somehow not willing to support HQPlayer even though it’s much requested.
For the price it's a pity that Lumin does not have a HQPlayer support. I do not use HQPlayer as I am an Audirvana guy myself.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #437 of 452
Unfortunately Lumin is still missing HQPlayer / NAA support which many other streamers support. Would go with that way as you got more flexibility and more tuning options to get a better overall performance.

Really sad though to see Lumin supporting Roon RAAT but somehow not willing to support HQPlayer even though it’s much requested.
You are starting to sound like a broken record, you know.

May 19, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #439 of 452
greetings

I have the holo spring 3 kte and use the holo red as streamer

would getting a lumin be an upgrade to holo red and which lumin is advised to get knowing I have the spring 3

May 19, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #440 of 452
greetings

would getting a lumin be an upgrade to holo red and which lumin is advised to get knowing I have the spring 3
Assuming you would want to keep the Spring 3, perhaps you can get the U2 and use its fiber optic connection. Never heard the U2 though, but based on my experience with P1, the fiber optic connection sounds incredibly good. Perhaps others who own a U2 can also chime in.

May 19, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #441 of 452
greetings

Holo Red is a very good streamer already. IMO if you want a meaningful upgrade, going to a Lumin U1 mini or a newer Lumin U2 mini will give you only a minor sound quality upgrade. Bigger and more notieable step would be the full size Lumin U2. I on the other hand would not go with Lumin U2 and chose either a Sonore optical Rendu Deluxe (combined with Sonore optical module) and because of the superb galvanic isolation and other Sonore hi-tech solutions you are light years ahead from the Lumin mini series nearly equal to the Lumin U2 or a Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe which is reportedly sound vise even better than the Lumin U2 unit. Not speaking of functionality as Sonore supports lot of streaming protocols including HQPlayer which Lumin doesn't. That said Lumin U2 is a great piece of gear with a breathtaking build quality.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #442 of 452
Holo Red is a very good streamer already. IMO if you want a meaningful upgrade, going to a Lumin U1 mini or a newer Lumin U2 mini will give you only a minor sound quality upgrade. Bigger and more notieable step would be the full size Lumin U2. I on the other hand would not go with Lumin U2 and chose either a Sonore optical Rendu Deluxe (combined with Sonore optical module) and because of the superb galvanic isolation and other Sonore hi-tech solutions you are light years ahead from the Lumin mini series nearly equal to the Lumin U2 or a Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe which is reportedly sound vise even better than the Lumin U2 unit. Not speaking of functionality as Sonore supports lot of streaming protocols including HQPlayer which Lumin doesn't. That said Lumin U2 is a great piece of gear with a breathtaking build quality.
looks interesting, but how would such a small device compete with a full blown streamer

May 19, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #443 of 452
looks interesting, but how would such a small device compete with a full blown streamer
I was at the same position asking the same question myself. Until I found user comparisons between Sonore and Lumin streamers and bought me an Optical Rendu. I was absolutely blown away with the result. If you dont mind the form factor, there is nothing on the market up until about 3.000 Euro that comes even close to the Sonore optical streamers. The main reaons are:
a) galvanic isolation of the signal path by using optical data transfer
b) usage of the highest quality LPSes available on the market
c) own patented construction and hi-end circuit solution

Find user references and reviews of Sonore optical Rendu streamers. You will be surprised. Again nothing against the Lumin products, Sonore products are easily better bang for your buck by a noticeable part. And Sonore just upgraded their whole streamer lineup at the begining of the year.

25793986-B8FE-4ADE-BD8E-6A5CBDA1B8F3.jpeg

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #444 of 452
The main reaons are:
a) galvanic isolation of the signal path by using optical data transfer
b) usage of the highest quality LPSes available on the market
c) own patented construction and hi-end circuit solution
CMIIW, at least items a) and b) above are also present in Lumin U2? From my understanding, the SFP connection (fiber optic input) in U2 provides galvanic isolation and it uses internal LPS. I don’t know about c) though, whether U2 has patented construction and hi-end circuit solution. I also don’t know what Lumin means by “direct-coupled” USB for connection to DACs but it seems that it provides some sort of advantage against “ordinary” USB.

@Sound Eq perhaps it’s best if you could audition both (preferably at home with your own system/chain) before you decide to buy.

May 20, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #445 of 452
CMIIW, at least items a) and b) above are also present in Lumin U2? From my understanding, the SFP connection (fiber optic input) in U2 provides galvanic isolation and it uses internal LPS. I don’t know about c) though, whether U2 has patented construction and hi-end circuit solution. I also don’t know what Lumin means by “direct-coupled” USB for connection to DACs but it seems that it provides some sort of advantage against “ordinary” USB.

@Sound Eq perhaps it’s best if you could audition both (preferably at home with your own system/chain) before you decide to buy.
Yes indeed, Lumin U2 has either optical network and integrated LPS. My point was that Lumin U2 costs 5.200 Euro while the Sonore Optical Rendu Deluxe bundle can be purchased in range from 2.000 to 3.000 Euro (depending on the LPS tier you chose) and this config gets you to a very close sound quality of the Lumin U2. If you choose the top tier Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe for 4.600 Euro you get a better sound quality and better functionality than the Lumin U2. Maybe the only downside compared those two is the looks but that is always subjective and I personally always go for the sonic quality first. Just wanted to point that there are very good alternatives to Lumin streamers.

May 20, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #446 of 452
Yes indeed, Lumin U2 has either optical network and integrated LPS. My point was that Lumin U2 costs 5.200 Euro while the Sonore Optical Rendu Deluxe bundle can be purchased in range from 2.000 to 3.000 Euro (depending on the LPS tier you chose) and this config gets you to a very close sound quality of the Lumin U2. If you choose the top tier Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe for 4.600 Euro you get a better sound quality and better functionality than the Lumin U2. Maybe the only downside compared those two is the looks but that is always subjective and I personally always go for the sonic quality first. Just wanted to point that there are very good alternatives to Lumin streamers.
Perfectly understood. I think it will also help @Sound Eq to further describe in which areas the Sonore Signature is better than U2 in terms of sound quality. It’s useful to get the context i.e. what type of equipment chain and music genres used in the comparison, the listener’s preferences (bright vs. warm, detailed vs. lush, light vs. dense tones etc.) since all of those factors will likely affect one’s impression (and this holds true for every type of equipment). As I’ve previously mentioned, it’s best to audition both at home 👍🏼.

May 22, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #447 of 452
I think it will also help @Sound Eq to further describe in which areas the Sonore Signature is better than U2 in terms of sound quality....
I have zero experience with Lumin U2 myself but originally I was in the market for Lumin U2 mini and before I purchased my Sonore optical Rendu I red lot of reviews from users who had experience with both Sonore and Lumin streamers comparing them. Those reviews are out there so I would suggest @Sound Eq making own research in this manner, try and listen to both platforms and decide after that.

May 23, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #449 of 452
Let’s not forget that Lumin is a standalone streamer for i.e. Qobuz unlike Sonore, which needs an app playing to it.
Sonore streamers do not have any display but you can control them with your mobile, iPad or PC playing from Tidal, Quobuz, Roon, Spotify, Audirvana, etc. just like any other stteamer. And they also support HQPlayer functionality while Lumin streamers do not.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #450 of 452
Sonore streamers do not have any display but you can control them with your mobile, iPad or PC playing from Tidal, Quobuz, Roon, Spotify, Audirvana, etc. just like any other stteamer. And they also support HQPlayer functionality while Lumin streamers do not.
But you cannot turn off all mobile devices and computers or servers and Sonore still keeps on playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back