looking for headphone suggestions
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LunaticPandora

New Head-Fier
Hi ! I am using Sennheiser HD 650s and happy with those but wondering if there is anything better in the $300-700 that would be good for classical music. I am having issues with my 650s, they are rather old, so looking for either a replacement or something new. Thanks !

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi ! I am using Sennheiser HD 650s and happy with those but wondering if there is anything better in the $300-700 that would be good for classical music. I am having issues with my 650s, they are rather old, so looking for either a replacement or something new. Thanks !
If you're already happy with the HD 650, have you considered a different amp instead? What issues are you experiencing? "Better" is obviously subjective, and everyone's going to have vastly different opinions on what "better" means in that price range. It might help if you can be more specific in what you're looking for (or looking to avoid).

For my money, there is no "better" deal currently in headphones than the Focal Elex currently selling for $500. A steal IMO. But I'm partial to the dynamics and bass punch of Focal headphones. But for classical music listening, it's possible you'd prefer planar magnetics (from Hifiman or similar). Less punchy, more precise.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't know if it's issues with the 650s. I keep having to replace the cables and they don't sound as clear as they used to. It's making me wonder if I should try a newer version.

I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 but I could never get it working right. There was a bunch of static the last time I tried to use it.

I'll take a look at Hifiman, thanks.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
loose internal wiring? Should not need to change cables that often... Also, that's a good amp, do you have any other pair of headphones to try to isolate your issue?

Before people inundate you with what they like, please flesh out what you listen too:

Type, volume, source(s). What headphones/speakers that you have heard ot you like or not like? Do you have access to a dealer or some of the meets that are listed here?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't know if it's issues with the 650s. I keep having to replace the cables and they don't sound as clear as they used to. It's making me wonder if I should try a newer version.

I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 but I could never get it working right. There was a bunch of static the last time I tried to use it.

I'll take a look at Hifiman, thanks.
Something’s up if you’re having to replace cables that often. That’s not normal. What’s happening with your cables that you need to replace them?

Also, what issues are you having with the amp? “Static” again sounds related to a bad connector and/or loose wiring somewhere like @bagwell359 says. Could even be related to the issues you’re having with cables.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 8
People often go for the Sennheiser HD600 for classical and bright headphones of which there is no shortage. I like headphones that accurately portray any type of music but there is a strong tendency for people to acquire headphones 'optimised' for a genre. If your Sennheiser HD650 is one of the earlier models they were quite dark and bassy, newer versions tend to be closer to Sennheiser's HD600 although they are still have many different characteristics despite a similar frequency response. The drivers are also different and to add another variable they vary with time also. Just about the only 'flaw' with the line is the springs embedded in the drivers eventually become weak leading to disconnects. If that's the OP's problem it's delicate to solve. The original cable is superb so shouldn't need replacement very often. Sometimes you get dust over the driver screen and around the drivers that may affect clarity. As drivers age they sometimes lose the high frequency in their sound delivery.

May 1, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 8
What about the Neumann NDH 30?

Fir 300-700$ i would try a used Sennheiser HD 800. with its huge soundstage, high detail and superb imaging, it sounds very good with classical music.

May 1, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 8
What do you not like about the HD650?

If it doesn't sound as clear as it used to, replace the pads. The pads will only last about 1-2 years and when they get worn, you will lose about 5db worth of top end. New pads will sort you out, at least for a while.

Stock HD650 cables are a known weak point sadly, though they are usually good for at least a few years. I've had multiple sets of stock cables fail. Thankfully, they're cheap.

The Valhalla shouldn't be making static, either talk to Schiit themselves or try a new set of tubes. If there's static in one channel, swap the tubes from left channel to right and see if the static is now in the other channel. If tubes do nothing, send it off to Schiit to fix, they will. It should be a nice amp for the 650 when it's working.

IMO there is not much under $1k - or at any price - that's a straight upgrade from the 650. But there are some headphones that are vaguely similar while being better at certain aspects.

You can now get a Focal Elex from headphones.com with warranty. The Elex is a very nice headphone, brighter and a bit sharper but with a fairly similar tuning, very good punch and impact, lively dynamics, and good instrument separation. It's a more exciting listen, but also less natural and a bit more metallic sounding. I like it, though I consider it a sidegrade. For $400 it's not a bad deal as long as you buy it from headphones.com since these headphones are known to be fragile, and you'll want the warranty. They're also very pretty but a bit heavy.

You can try a Stax L300 or some other similar used Lambda. You'll need an electrostatic amp to drive it. This will give you the best clarity you can possibly get your hands on, but estats are a completely different barrel of fish and come with their own quirks that you'll have to live with. However, if you want an actual upgrade on the HD650 in terms of resolution, this is one. With a bit of tweaking, and probably some EQ, these will give you world-class sound quality, but might need some setting up out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back