Linn system resurrection
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 28
Good site, Alan. Thanks!

I may take my Majik along to Graham's with the LP12 and do some demming while they fixup the TT....

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 28
im in need of a new cartridge as well since my nephew bust my ortofon rondo red...scowl

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good site, Alan. Thanks!

I may take my Majik along to Graham's with the LP12 and do some demming while they fixup the TT....

Why are you getting rid of a Nac 32 in favour of a Majik of all things? The Nac has a really good phonostage and you can pick up the cards for 25 quid on ebay if you don't already have the right one.

Will a Majik even be able to drive Kans? I would have gone for a Nap 160 if you can't afford another 250 at the moment. You can pick them up these days for under 300UKP.

As far as carts and all things vinyl go check out Walrus near Marble Arch Walrus Systems Hifi Website . Grado's arn't such a bargain in the UK unfortunately. The Goldring 1042 or above mentioned Ortofon would be the best carts in your budget.

Do you still have the Asak? you could send it to Expert Stylus for a retip for not much more than the cost of a decent MM.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 28
Good points, memepool.

I hope the Majik will drive the Kans, but I could be way wrong. Afraid getting another Naim power amp is out of the question as I have to limit the system to as few boxes as possible. Domestic Goddess issues. If the Majik is no-go, I'll look into a Nait, or change speakers (tho I love Kans so I'm really hoping it'll be OK
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I should still have the Asaka somewhere, but just can't find it. I have the plastic needle guard but no cartridge (there's an old Audio Technica in ATM) so god knows where it went. If I did find it, you bet I'd get it retipped!

Thx for the tip re Walrus.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 28
The Majik will drive the Kans but... I have some of the old Rogers BBC monitors at work, which is what the Kans are based on, and I'm driving them with a NAD 3020 which has similar power, nice but a little fluffy if you try and crank it up. It'll depend on the size of your room and taste in music I shoul think. Certainly you'll need to spend a grand or more today to get anything anywhere near them.

Good news is that the phono stage on the Majik should be excellent. A friend has the matching Linn pre-amp from that period and it's a cracker.

You could also try an Audio Technica MC like the ATC09 which Lpgear have on sale at present. This would liven things up a bit
tongue.gif

Another thing to consider is the Funk Firm's LP12 upgrades. This is the new venture from Arthur Khoubesserian ( remember Pink Triangle ?) and they have some very highly regarded stuff like a new carbon fibre arm tube for the Ittok and various power supply and plinth mods for the Sondek itself. Much more affordable than the current Linn ones anyway.

Have fun !

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 28
Thanks memepool.

wish i could afford the LP12 upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif
but for now it'll have to remain merely Valhalla'd!

Are Pink Traingle still around?!

Thinking about the Audio-Technica AT-440MLa cartridge. Looks good and is a price I can afford (+ I won't have to change my phono stage to MC, tho that may not cost too much to do) for the initial set up, at least. Seems to get good reviews as a pretty fine MM. I'll add it to my list of 'check outs'

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #23 of 28
Yes the AT440 should be a great match and it's got a really good fine line stylus so it's also a bit of a bargain.

Sadly Pink Triangle are no longer with us but as I mentioned the main guy behind Pink now has a new company called the Funk Firm which has a few new turntables on sale that are getting similarly rave reviews.

Art Dudley did a piece about it recently in stereophile Stereophile: Listening #48

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 28
Thanks. The Funk plate looks wonderful.

May have to investigate further when funds allow....

I'm increasingly drawn to one of these carts ATM:

Ortfon Blue 2M
Audio Technica AT440Ma
Linn Adikt (outside my budget but may be able to get a used one)
Grado Red

Must bone up on output matching w/ the Majik phono stage tho...

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 28
Well, whaddaya know- I finally get the Linn out of storage & there, sitting on the end of the Ittok, is the presumed-lost Asaka....I must be getting old, I'm sure I changed it to an AT just before I had to pack it all away....

I need to explore the retip suggestion (thanks memepool) and also see about changing the Majik phono stage to MC. Any ideas how much both/either would cost?

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to explore the retip suggestion (thanks memepool) and also see about changing the Majik phono stage to MC. Any ideas how much both/either would cost?

Try

Wyndam Hodgson
Expert Stylus Company,
PO Box 3,
Ashtead,
Surrey,
KT21 2QD,
England.

tel: +44.(0)1372 276604,
fax: +44 (0)1372 276147

they are very reasonable. It shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred tops.
As far as the Majik goes you'll need to talk to Linn. They'll probably tell you to buy a Linto but a good Linn dealer might have some compatible MC boards lying around. If you have a spare line level input you could always sneak in a Cambridge Audio 640P ( 60 quid form Richer Sounds) when she's not looking, they are pretty discreet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #27 of 28
Thanks memepool
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a look at the Asaka stylus using a handheld magnifier -pretty high mag: I bought it years ago from Sound Org or Grahams to look at styli, but probably not definitive! - the tip looks good and clean. I'll listen before committing to a retip...

So it's changing the Majik I stage to MC. Thx for the link to 640P. There's not a additional line-in that I can see. I could use a separate preamp temporarily I guess. Or ditch the Majik & go back to Naim, lol (wife has heart attack...)

Just to see I connected the LP12 to the Majik -wrong phono stage & all....despite the obvious lack of volume, to my ears the Asaka sounded pretty good, so I'm hopeful a retip may not be necessary. But I'll have to check once I'm MC on the amp, of course.
Boy, it sounded so good to hear a Linn spinning music again
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 28
Just an update - as a stopgap (til I get the Majik phono stage rejigged for MC) I got a Cambridge Audio 640P as you suggested, memepool. Thanks! Works well, certainly for a temporary measure.

Also fitted an SRM Tech (Michell if anyone remembers them) Silent Base bottom board, & tidied up the table w/ spikes & whatnot. Added a Karik III (& Linn Silver ICs) for the digital playback, replacing a Mimik.

The LP12 is now sounding really pretty impressive - good soundstage, nice & clear almost 3D imaging & with that immersive Linn musical presentation.
Playing LPs is my primary choice, even with the Karik.

Once I get the deck serviced (I know...terribly lazy as I have to arrange transport, a cab basically) it's all going to sound superb.

Then it will be a choice of using my Kan stands or going wall-mounted with Kan mounts.

But of course, the devil spits in your beer as always - having finally got it all up & running for the most part, I now have to pack it all away again as my Domestic Goddess wants the living room redecorated! Sheesh...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back