Linn system resurrection
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

steviebee

Headphoneus Supremus
Just won a Linn Majik-1 integrated amp on Ebay
biggrin.gif
Don't know how it'll sound vs my old Naim 32/SNAPS/250, but beggars can't be choosers...lol.

Next step is to unbox my beloved LP12/Ittok (long in storage), have it serviced, and finally get it all together with my Kans. Back to vinyl. At last!

I'll be needing a good to great MM or preferably MC cartridge. Snag is I can't afford to go back to Asaka level (my previous), & need to keep the cost down. So...any suggestions, chaps?
smily_headphones1.gif

ps - any UK HeadFiers interested in buying a Naim 32 PreAmp & SNAPS power supply, lmk. The 250 is gone to a new home awhile ago.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 28
I came in to suggest Grado cartridges, as well. I've owned the Gold and Platinum so far and have been very happy with them. I'm planning a step up soon, and am thinking seriously about a Grado MI.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 28
Thanks guys - I'll check them out. I hate to think what their UK price is vs the dollar.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came in to suggest Grado cartridges, as well. I've owned the Gold and Platinum so far and have been very happy with them. I'm planning a step up soon, and am thinking seriously about a Grado MI.

Platinum is what I have also. Amazing value when you put it against other $300-$500 carts.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget? What are you looking for sonically? Something dryer, warmer, more forward, less forward, bassier etc and so on...?

Good questions. Re SQ, I really don't know how the Majik is going to sound with Kans, but I'll be looking for a clear, detailed sound, not overly warm but not icy. Has to have some good bass slam to maximise what the Kans can bring, but not emphasise their treble too much...Once I have the amp, I'll be able to clarify a bit, altho it will initially be hooked up to a line out PCDP!

In terms of cost, I'm guessing the LP12 refurb will cost in the region of £200 ($400ish), hopefully not too much more, fingers x'd. So the cartridge is going to have to come in at £120 -150 ($250-300).

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of cost, I'm guessing the LP12 refurb will cost in the region of £200 ($400ish), hopefully not too much more, fingers x'd. So the cartridge is going to have to come in at £120 -150 ($250-300).

Platinum fits right in there. If you are anti-Grado, the Dynavector 10x5 is quite nice and can be had at certain times for less than $350.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 28
Not anti-Grado by any means
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks.
Is Platinum MM or MC?

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 28
Thanks guys -good recs!

Ortofon still in the business? Takes me back! Wonder what Graham's Hi Fi current range of cartridges is (they'll be doing the refurb, or if not them, Cornflake Shop).

Moving Iron? Never heard of that before -mind you, it's been awhile since I kept up with anything vinyl-related...lots of stuff to catch up on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 28
OK, Majik in place - just have to get some Linn IC's & cable plugs. I connected my wife's Sony TT just to see, but the input is distorting (the phono stage has been set up for MM) - so a low output MM/MI looks indeed the ticket. The amp came with a radio module which was a nice surprise. It also has an internal separate HP amp. I wonder what a total Linn system (excepting cartridge unless I get a K9 or better) is going to sound like...

Should be interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back