Lets Talk Metal
Feb 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2,731 of 29,693

Quote:
Well, 2011 is off to a good start. The new Omnium Gatherum is awesome. Fan-Fing-tastic. The Redshift took a few listens to grow on me, but New World Shadows fresh out of the box has just blown me away. The musicianship is first rate, production is crystal clear and arguably reference worthy, which is great because there are so many gorgeous melodies here that you can't help but crank the volume. What impresses most is the way folk, doom, progressive, and even some power elements are so expertly blended in with OG's traditional melodic death.

9.5/10.

I was gonna wait for the March 1st date but I can't now...going to check this well...now!   :)

I really have gotten into these guys, DMundi, and In Mourning (these guys are so talented).

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2,732 of 29,693

Quote:
I really have gotten into these guys, DMundi, and In Mourning (these guys are so talented).

Fragments of D-Generation is an excellent album, but otherwise I don't care much for Disarmonia Mundi. The most recent one in particular is just awful. In Mourning I agree, I'm expecting a lot of great stuff from them.

In a related note, I also got to hear the new Devildriver in its entirety. It's not terrible like the last one, but it's not really good either. It's mostly just forgettable and kind of boring. Too bad.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,733 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:

Fragments of D-Generation is an excellent album, but otherwise I don't care much for Disarmonia Mundi. The most recent one in particular is just awful. In Mourning I agree, I'm expecting a lot of great stuff from them.

In a related note, I also got to hear the new Devildriver in its entirety. It's not terrible like the last one, but it's not really good either. It's mostly just forgettable and kind of boring. Too bad.

Where do you buy a lot of your albums?  Amazon or somewhere else?  Just curious.  I download a lot of stuff first (I will be the first to admit it - I taste before I buy unless its something obvious like Megadeth or Opeth).

Listening to new Omni right now....also if you like some progressive metal, Symphony X has a new album rumored to be released end of this month, beginning of March.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2,734 of 29,693

Quote:
Where do you buy a lot of your albums?  Amazon or somewhere else?  Just curious.  I download a lot of stuff first (I will be the first to admit it - I taste before I buy unless its something obvious like Megadeth or Opeth).  
Listening to new Omni right now....also if you like some progressive metal, Symphony X has a new album rumored to be released end of this month, beginning of March.

Usually I buy CDs used on Amazon. I also believe in try before you buy. Unlike vinyl, CDs have practically no resale value at all, so I don't think its wise to buy anything blindly.

Speaking of progressive metal, I just picked this up. It's absolutely first rate.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,735 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:

Usually I buy CDs used on Amazon. I also believe in try before you buy. Unlike vinyl, CDs have practically no resale value at all, so I don't think its wise to buy anything blindly.

Speaking of progressive metal, I just picked this up. It's absolutely first rate.

They are touring on the Finnish Metal Tour 2 which I am thinking of going to..basically Enisferum, Finntroll, Barren Earth, and someone else....

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #2,736 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They are touring on the Finnish Metal Tour 2 which I am thinking of going to..basically Enisferum, Finntroll, Barren Earth, and someone else....

it looks liek i will have to check out this barren earth band. what sub genre are they.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,737 of 29,693
Im not sure if this has been mentioned, but Underoath's new album (Disambiguation). Is great. lots of dynamics. and, it is coming out in vinyl. In addition to underoath, System of a down, and my favorite Refused, the new shape of punk to come, flac.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2,738 of 29,693
I'm ashamed to admit that I've been a horrible, impulsive consumer this month. In about 9 days time I've bought a Sennheiser HD580, a Beyerdynamic DT880 2003 250ohm, a Koss KSC75, a Bravo Class A tube amp and a Sony BDP-s370 bluray player. Not to mention all the extreme metal merchandise that just arrived. I'll go weep in a corner and bury my wallet now... 

On a brighter note! I'll probably be selling some of my gear next month and ofcourse the guys here in the metal forum get first dibs. :) Anyone wants to buy a ATH-AD700 or a mint Grado SR225i in the EU let me know! 

Saw these guys play last friday. Pretty good stuff. It's not exactely my cup of tea but they sure were mighty tight. If you're into slightly technical, guttural death metal check 'em out! Like Incantation is having babies with Dying Fetus and Aborted. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2,740 of 29,693

Quote:
@DaveBSC:  You know them?  If not, check them out!  (Amazing stuff)

I do. BSA is one of Tuomas Saukkonen's projects. I've listened to their stuff as well as Dawn of Solace, and I always get the feeling that it's material that wasn't quite good enough for a Before The Dawn album. I'm also really not crazy about Mikko Heikkilä's clean vocals, I think I'd like Routa better if they weren't on it.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2,741 of 29,693
Well, this days I am listening to some oldies, and man I had forgottten how awesome Arsis is:

This last one's great, but SQ from Youtube blows...

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,744 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:
New COB kicks butt:

In case the embed doesn't work anymore...weird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhOldCV490

Not too shabby, but it's not exactly Chokehold or Children of Decadence either.

I *think* its pretty tight for a first single.  I know its way too early to judge, but I have high hopes this album is a significant improvement over the last one (plus finally, keyboards!).

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,745 of 29,693

Quote:
New COB kicks butt:

In case the embed doesn't work anymore...weird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhOldCV490

not bad but nothing beats follow the reaper an hatebreeder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back