LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #31 of 165
You mean you would like a comparison? Between a ES9038pro chip based dac and a discrete R2R? DYOR
https://soundnews.net/reviews/sources/dacs/ferrum-audio-wandla-dac-review-thinking-outside-the-box/
Vs
https://soundnews.net/reviews/sourc...iew-could-this-be-the-new-benchmark-under-5k/
You could ask him yourself. But it depends more on your preferences than just the numbers on the bottom line. The naturalness of an R2R will always beat any sigma delta chipbased dac. That has to do with phase and timing accuracy.
Thanks. I understand it may be a pointless comparision. I just want to read what others think in terms of this price category. Perhaps it just boils down to if someone prefers R2R or Sigma Delta, but I want to read it from those who have heard both of these DACs. It's not the first time comparisons are done based on price category.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #32 of 165
Comparison to Wandla needed.
My general thoughts:

- Laiv is overall slightly warmer
- Laiv has slightly more prominent midrange texture
- Detail is better on wandla
- Size of stage is roughly equal between the two
- Laiv slightly softer in presentation, but only a little, it's not to the same degree as an Ares 2 for instance and is nice for many acoustic genres
- Wandla has slightly better instrument separation

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #33 of 165
My general thoughts:

- Laiv is overall slightly warmer
- Laiv has slightly more prominent midrange texture
- Detail is better on wandla
- Size of stage is roughly equal between the two
- Laiv slightly softer in presentation, but only a little, it's not to the same degree as an Ares 2 for instance and is nice for many acoustic genres
- Wandla has slightly better instrument separation
Thanks! I do have a question specifically about the Wandla GSE but I don’t want to put you in an awkward position so I will PM you.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 165
And another one. This time from my favorite: Srboljub's 'is it worth it' iwii reviews

Edit: @GoldenSound
It's not a competition. He just has the best nose for Hifi gear. :rolling_eyes:
I take it you have a review sample as well. Looking forward to your in depth review.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #35 of 165
Some say it can compete with the May KTE???

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 165
This just shot up the list in terms of endgame DAC options. Very curious to see what others have to say…

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #38 of 165
Some say it can compete with the May KTE??
You can hear the overall tonality and presentation differences easily enough for yourself (even over YT) here... though to be fair VirtualHifi's comparison vids are up there with Alpha Audio as some of the best mic'd and recorded on YT.
Just published; you can hear for yourself if your setup is discerning enough. He compares it to the Holo May. A short review plus soundsamples.

He has the best live recordings on YouTube with his Schoeps mics 1m in front of his speakers. So you are actually listening to the system you see without to much reverb and room acoustics. I bought a pair of Fosi ZA3 on listening to his comparisons and he wasn't wrong. And my ears neither.

However, I just changed my speakers to Magnepan 0.7 to test the Fosi with them and they are not as resolving (by far) as my speakers (Ti bipole fullrange plus AMT). So I couldn't hear any difference.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #39 of 165
And another one. This time from my favorite: Srboljub's 'is it worth it' iwii reviews

Edit: @GoldenSound
It's not a competition. He just has the best nose for Hifi gear. :rolling_eyes:
I take it you have a review sample as well. Looking forward to your in depth review.

Im liking it quite a lot. I think there are definitely people hyping it up a bit too much, it's not a giant killer, but it is a very good option for the money.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #40 of 165
I think LAiV have hit a sweet spot with the Harmony. It's a well-built discrete, R2R DAC with excellent SQ. It's compact and also has a built-in power supply (I'm looking at you, Wandla), and it has a large easy-to-read display with lots of useful info. Yes, it's relatively expensive, but I can't think of another DAC that offers all of the Harmony's features that costs less.
Bravo, LAiV!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #45 of 165
Here in France you have to add 540$ for Duties/Tax...
The final price is 3240$ 🥲
But that’s just your standard 20% VAT right - realistically LAiV were never going to take a 20% (or more, or less.. 15% GST here) hit on a globally fixed USD2,700 sales price vs other jurisdictions that have no sales tax/import duties. Free lunches, death and taxes etc. The free shipping though, that’s a nice touch.

Sandu got the taxes/duties bit quite wrong so hopefully corrects his written review otherwise this thread is going to see a constant stream of folk whose expectations were raised then reality checked.. (@tassardar thanks for creating this thread — maybe worth adding a clarification in a sticky update to your first post)

Sounds like a really well conceived and implemented DAC, looking forward to more owner reviews to supplement the initial flurry of pro reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back