KECES PCM2702 USB DAC
Sep 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

Cankin

Headphoneus Supremus
keces_usbdac2007_l.jpg

kecesusbdac07002hf2.jpg

Looks like another inexpensive but well built DAC. Specs and RMAA Test are posted here

anyone knows how to read these graphs please comment
580smile.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 172
It looks nice, but isn't the PCM2702 a low end chip these days.

Surely for this much trouble they could build a mid range DAC and charge a few bucks more.

Oh. and I agree about the URL on the case - ugly.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Surely for this much trouble they could build a mid range DAC and charge a few bucks more.

You can find the same chip in Cantate but I've read that the dac chip itself isn't the the most important factor which affects SQ but the design as a whole

How about this?

kecesda131003up1.jpg

KECES DA-131 SPDIF DAC

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 172
wink.gif
I believe I might be one of the first ones to have one on Head-Fi. I've had mine for a bit over a year now (I have an earlier rev).

My setup is KECES PCM2702 -> M3 -> ATH-A900.
I've also used it with my NAD speaker amp.
It's well-built and sounds great. I've been thinking about getting their non-USB DAC as well.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it's only aesthetic, but I'd rather not have a website url etched into the acrylic!

Wow, only $175USD plus shipping.

Well, I'm the guy selling it on Ebay, if you would like, a plain top cover can be used instead, no additional charge for that. But do check with us for stock availability if anyone wants it that way.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd give it a bash if I had need for a low-end USB DAC... but I don't!

I would not call this an low end unit, if you consider it low end because of the price, well I guess it was my fault in trying to keep the final selling price low.

PCM2702 itself is a chip that had often been underestimated, the performance of it is just waiting to be tapped if the circuit supporting the DAC was properly done. Not too long ago people were selling a full sized unit USB DAC with tube output stage for over 1.5K USD. The DAC they used? PCM2702.

I'm not saying this is the same as that, it isn't. However, I believe most would be surprised by how good this unit will sound.
wink.gif

This unit will need about 2 weeks of run-in time for everything to mature a bit, after that, it slows down as it mature.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PCM2702 was used due to it's SpAct capability, and in the PCM270x and 290x family, it is the one with the best analog output performance.

The case as I said above, have a plain clear top that is available upon request, but will need to confirm availability first.

Please check out our DA-131 as well, as it is one of our first unit to have the new enclosure design.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find the same chip in Cantate but I've read that the dac chip itself isn't the the most important factor which affects SQ but the design as a whole

How about this?

kecesda131003up1.jpg

KECES DA-131 SPDIF DAC

Our packing box for this is suppose to arrive on Thursday or Friday, and this unit is head and shoulders above our USB DAC (well, it have to be...).

Please let me know what would you like to know about this DAC, and I'll do my best in answering them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back