Just Reversed the Bowls of My HF-2s
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nick 214

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone, 

As the title says, I just did the flip/reverse of the stock HF-2 bowels. Maybe I'm spoiled coming from the fall-asleep-wearing-them comfort of the HD650s, but these things just hurt my ears... 

Reversing the bowls does space the ear form the driver grille, but my outer earlobe is still resting against the grille, though the reversal does help to even out the pressure exerted by the headband. 

We've all read the dozens of threads regarding the GS1000/i, PS500, and PS1000 "Salad Bowels/G-Cush" uses on other Grado cans, and it seems like they're not an option. I do wear glasses, and quite like the sound signature of the cans as-is. If it were not for the well-reported sonic tradeoffs of the Salad Bowls, I would jump all over them. 

Here's what I'm thinking: for my application, pads will need some depth to space the driver grille and earlobe, and not sacrifice the bass depth or presentation. Modifications on the Board (Kramer5150, et al.) that use tape to seal the edges of the earpads show that, as expected, the foam is rather open-celled, and eases the transmission of air. I'm thinking about going a Lawton-esque route, and having a set done in leather. The sealed nature of leather earpads does concern me on two fronts, though. First, my body temp runs high, and sweat rather profusely at times. Second, I don't want to create a truly closed chamber, as I feel that Grados are designed to have some permeability in the pads.

My current idea is to use perforated Milano or Napa leather, like you see in driving gloves, or the steering wheels of various sports cars. I know and utilize a good shoemaker/leathersmith locally, and I think I will present him with the idea, and offer to source the leather myself. I'm not sure about what to use for the stuffing/padding, or how dense it should be, though.

Has anyone pursued a truly custom route via such an outlet?

Thanks,

NK 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back