• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,691 of 18,249
Just wanted to note that
a few of us here have said that the Dark Matter is a 'lot more forward' and similar, which might sound slightly alarming?
They do indeed seem to offer a fair bit 'more' than other IMR's but it is SO well done & what comes to mind in terms of trying to describe the sound is 'Majestic'
They have that rare balance of a lot going on inside a big 3d Holographic space with the instruments sounding creamy clean and pure with a low end you almost bite into as it is so delicious - Whilst at the same time being beautifully relaxing.
i find them SO well tuned my mind is unusually relaxed and happy enough to really just absorb INTO the music.
There are loads of IEMs that present 1or 2 specific aspects that sounds 'amazing' but with other areas that are not so good and there are also loads that are a comfortable relaxed listen But Im finding the DM are that super rare IEM that does both profoundly well
[running grey/gold for a natural balanced sound]

May 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #6,692 of 18,249
Just wanted to note that
a few of us here have said that the Dark Matter is a 'lot more forward' and similar, which might sound slightly alarming?
They do indeed seem to offer a fair bit 'more' than other IMR's but it is SO well done & what comes to mind in terms of trying to describe the sound is 'Majestic'
They have that rare balance of a lot going on inside a big 3d Holographic space with the instruments sounding creamy clean and pure with a low end you almost bite into as it is so delicious - Whilst at the same time being beautifully relaxing.
i find them SO well tuned my mind is unusually relaxed and happy enough to really just absorb INTO the music.
There are loads of IEMs that present 1or 2 specific aspects that sounds 'amazing' but with other areas that are not so good and there are also loads that are a comfortable relaxed listen But Im finding the DM are that super rare IEM that does both profoundly well
So well put, you have better discriptive powers than me. I'm still on my standard pink lower and black upper my set were used (or not.. As they are from IMR/pre-loved audio ebay shop) so no idea where I am in the burn in cycle but they are already my favourite IMR to date

May 28, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #6,693 of 18,249
Warning to the wise - My DM's sounded bad all the way through the 300 hours. If was only AFTER 420 hours that they opened up and now sound incredible
Must be down to the bong conduction.

Actually Jon I really like the sound even now. Of course though they will burn in and change. Does the sub-bass expand over time?
I liked them out of the box as well but they did change a bit & I didn't like them around 150 hours in as bright and bass went missing. Bass has never fully returned to the raw slam it had out the box but has got more textured. Also do try a few different tips as they make a big differnce.

Re the bass I had a chance to hear the Mest mk2 & compare with the DM last weekend a long time after I sold mine. Mest mk2 bass was my favourite bass I'd heard previously but I prefer the DM bass. Mest 2 bass goes slightly deeper & darker but mid bass is better on DM & is overall cleaner and has more detail with more slam.

Mest 2 def has wider soundstage & more detailed highs but I prefered the overall sound of the DM.

May 28, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,694 of 18,249
Just wanted to note that
I totally agree with you here it's a great description.

I reminds me of the Semper and it taking a while to take in what it was giving me which was pretty much everything. The DM is different as not as wide a space that is filled but a deeper one & placement is i think even better than the Semper.

Gotta say that the DM at this special price has to be one of the biggest bargains out there.

May 28, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #6,695 of 18,249
Gotta say that the DM at this special price has to be one of the biggest bargains out there.
Screw it. I'm drinkng the Kool-aid and just emailed Bob about getting them. But that doesn't mean yet that it's a done deal (I say to myself without much conviction).

May 28, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #6,696 of 18,249
Screw it. I'm drinkng the Kool-aid and just emailed Bob about getting them. But that doesn't mean yet that it's a done deal (I say to myself without much conviction).
Lol join the gang it's inevitable...

May 28, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #6,697 of 18,249
Lol join the gang it's inevitable...
So it seems. I just did some listening with the R2 Red and Elan ... and thinking the gap between those is probably similar to the gap between Elan and DM.

May 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #6,698 of 18,249
So well put, you have better discriptive powers than me. I'm still on my standard pink lower and black upper my set were used (or not.. As they are from IMR/pre-loved audio ebay shop) so no idea where I am in the burn in cycle but they are already my favourite IMR to date
That's funny - I meant to quote YOUR description and say thank you for your great explanation just the other day! :D

May 28, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #6,699 of 18,249
For Sub-bass rumble this album has some sweet low end all the way through it - Vinyl rip as well! Bonus :)

May 28, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #6,700 of 18,249
May 28, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #6,701 of 18,249
Haha! Resistance is futile! The DMs have some amazing bass!
I am still in the midst of burn-in for both the DM and Dorado 2020 and they are neck and neck. Difficult to make judgments at this point in time as the DM keep changing with burn-in. However, at the price you can get the DMs now, it is a no brainer.

May 28, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,702 of 18,249
Mr Postman came this morning with two packages. One a Kotori 'Carbon' cable from Singapore and the OTHER..........the DARK MATTER. The Dark Matter, at the well reduced price, came with everything, tuning sets, tips, a lovely 4.4mm cable, a very nice leathery case for the IEM but without the large case. DM no.177. I put them on burn in but had a sneak listen and another sneak right now. I've put L Spiral Dots on them, playing through my iFi Go Blu. Comparing them with my relatively burned in 'new' Ozars, midrange on the DM is way more forwards. That means to get the same bass as the Ozar's I have to have the volume on the DMs louder, which means the mids are very loud. Bass is more impactful on the DM than the Ozar but with less sub-bass rumble and amount ( this may well change). Midrange is a step up from the Ozar. But...they are just babies at the moment and need more experience of life playing music in my ears. They are beautifully constructed.
I do hope over time the sub-bass matches the Ozar, which is a very special IEM. Will burn in, listen, burn in, listen, burn in cycle. Very musical indeed but I've got another 100-200 hours burn in to go. I like the new darker cable a lot. Very forwards, up front 'in the band' type IEM.

Edit

The bass is very detailed indeed.
How is the treble and separation?

May 28, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #6,703 of 18,249
For Sub-bass rumble this album has some sweet low end all the way through it - Vinyl rip as well! Bonus :)

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Some "samples" of Sky Blue, one of my reference tracks.

May 29, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #6,704 of 18,249
Mr Postman came this morning with two packages. One a Kotori 'Carbon' cable from Singapore and the OTHER..........the DARK MATTER. The Dark Matter, at the well reduced price, came with everything, tuning sets, tips, a lovely 4.4mm cable, a very nice leathery case for the IEM but without the large case. DM no.177. I put them on burn in but had a sneak listen and another sneak right now. I've put L Spiral Dots on them, playing through my iFi Go Blu. Comparing them with my relatively burned in 'new' Ozars, midrange on the DM is way more forwards. That means to get the same bass as the Ozar's I have to have the volume on the DMs louder, which means the mids are very loud. Bass is more impactful on the DM than the Ozar but with less sub-bass rumble and amount ( this may well change). Midrange is a step up from the Ozar. But...they are just babies at the moment and need more experience of life playing music in my ears. They are beautifully constructed.
I do hope over time the sub-bass matches the Ozar, which is a very special IEM. Will burn in, listen, burn in, listen, burn in cycle. Very musical indeed but I've got another 100-200 hours burn in to go. I like the new darker cable a lot. Very forwards, up front 'in the band' type IEM.

Edit

The bass is very detailed indeed.
Umm hi there, any chance about how textured the bass is ?

May 29, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #6,705 of 18,249
Umm hi there, any chance about how textured the bass is ?

Very early days, but the mid-bass has great nuanced acurracy. All areas of mid-bass do sound very real and life-like and unusually for bass very detailed and textured. Sub-bass on my copy is not up at the Ozar level yet in quantity (early days).
How is the treble and separation?
Treble is of the higher level DD kind. Not as detailed in the technical nuances as a Planar, or Piezo, but good sounding very present treble, melding accurately with upper mids. Seamless IMR DD presentation of treble and mids.
Separation on relevant tracks is good but it is early days.

Because of the tuning the bass at the volume which is needed for my ears requires a little boosting. I need to turn the volume up to get the sub-bass experience then by dint the mids are very 'in your face'. I will really have to play with the tuning nozzles after some burn in and some EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back