iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #1,756 of 1,766
May 1, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #1,758 of 1,766
I purchesed a 5V 1.2A Meanwell power supply. But sometimes my iFi Zen DAC v2 is stopping the sound until I turn it off and then back on again. Works perfectly from USB...My friend lent me his iFi iPower2 power supply and it works perfectly.
Why does it not work with the Meanwell power supply?
With the installation of the new firmware 7.5, the problem was solved. :)

May 1, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,759 of 1,766
Jun 4, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #1,763 of 1,766
I just got the ZEN DAC V3 to add to my setup. Streaming from my Mac mini using Tidal, which maxes out at 24/192. Is that what I should set my settings to in MIDI settings for my MAC? Or should I set it to the max capabilities of the ZEN DAC, which is PCM 768khz?

If you want bit perfect always (and I don't know if the ZEN 3 is bit perfect or upstreams like on GTO filter on the V1,2) on a Mac, you should get this:

https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,766 of 1,766
So this is an odd use case, but I want to run my HiBy R4 through the Zen DAC. I notice it lights up when I plug my HiBy in, but no sound. Not surprising, I didn't expect the HiBy to be able to power it. I assume an external power supply will let me run the HiBy through the Zen DAC? Hopefully it isn't a driver thing. I want to play music from the HiBy to my desktop speakers. I am currently going Mac Mini > Zen Dac > SMSL SA300 amp > KEF Q150. I use a KVM switch to go back and forth between my work computer and Mac Mini, and if I could not have to switch back and forth while working and just use the HiBy instead it would be easier.

EDIT: Not sure I changed anything, but this works now with no extra power supply. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back