I need help with some Schiit (Amps) and a HD650 (Pairing)
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 24
I could not disagree more on the Mojo sounding good with the 650's. I found it to be my least favorite of any amp I've listened to the 650's on and the Crack to be by far the best I've heard them from as everyone at the meet this weekend agreed. Just goes to show how everyone hears things differently. Not to say the Mojo is bad it is a fantastic piece of gear to be sure I just think it pairs poorly with the 650's.

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 24
correct everyone does hear differently or we would not have this many headphones and amps to chose from.
We are on 100% agreement on that .

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 24
I hate to tell you this, but from my reading the 650 is not the best choice for gaming, due to the limited sound stage. I'm an avid gamer and will say the Sennheiser PC363D is a pretty good choice, and I just picked up a set of HD37X on Massdrop $120 and if I can ever get motivated enough to plug them in I'm sure they are equal if not slightly improved to the PC363D.

Is there something you don't like about the 598 for gaming? Is the directional accuracy good? My understanding is the 598 is comparable to the PC363 but without the built-in mic...

FYI I bought the HD6xx also, and I can't wait to try it in December... I bought a ifi black label for 380$ and so far I'm enjoying (and will probably keep it) and the PC363D sounds great for music and gaming is awesome...

Anyway I can't speak to the schiit amps because I've never tried them. I was very close to purchasing the magni/modi uber twice, but shipping killed it for me. I settled for the ifi black label for around 65$ more, and I can take it to work with me without too much hassle. I know this is kinda silly but I like the bass boost on it, it really makes a noticeable difference. Schiit stuff might be leaps and bounds better but to my untrained ear I'm pretty happy with my purchase for my first "real" DAC/Amp and probably won't go through the hassle to try something else...

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #20 of 24
Ok, so I think I better understand what Protoge is saying, but now I'm not sure if Schiit is for me.

If you use tubes and especially some NOS tubes Schiit amps won't have that hard, sharp sound that people associate with solid state, unless it's your headphone that has a peak in the treble or midrange.

Anyone know a good DAC/AMP or plain AMP that is under 400 dollars that they know sounds excellent. I don't have any audio stores near me to try things out at so I really need some suggestions. I'm willing to go up to 500 if I must as well, but that's not ideal.

AudioGD NFB-11. Or get the Meier Jazz FF - price posted on the Meier website includes shipping (and EU VAT where applicable).

I've also decided against tubes because I'm a very forgetful person and I don't want to leave them on so long that I break them. I've read that that can be an issue. So any SS suggestions would be awesome

Tubes are better for that since they'll glow - you'd have a larger surface area but less harsh intensity light as a visual cue that they're running other than the (sometimes too harsh) LED (that some people tape over). I replaced my PC's silent fans with silent fans that have LEDs on them just so I'd more easily see a blue glow in the room where the computer is instead of rushing out with it still running since I started downloading something.

A solid state amp will also be susceptible to damage if for example you leave a Class A amp idling, and worse if the ambient temperature is relatively high to begin with. And unless it's like one of those giant speaker amps where the board is pressed up against a heatsink wall on the exterior of the chassis, the heat will be inside and potentially cooking some other bits, unlike tubes that stick out of a chassis and if anything you'll just replace the tube (no soldering and all that depending on how the tube is mounted).

That said, that's not enough reason to go with tubes. Use a power strip with an LED on the switch, that way you'd have one extra light to remind you that it's running before you leave the house or otherwise be away from your gear for hours.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 24
I hate to tell you this, but from my reading the 650 is not the best choice for gaming, due to the limited sound stage. I'm an avid gamer and will say the Sennheiser PC363D is a pretty good choice, and I just picked up a set of HD37X on Massdrop $120 and if I can ever get motivated enough to plug them in I'm sure they are equal if not slightly improved to the PC363D.

Is there something you don't like about the 598 for gaming? Is the directional accuracy good? My understanding is the 598 is comparable to the PC363 but without the built-in mic...

FYI I bought the HD6xx also, and I can't wait to try it in December... I bought a ifi black label for 380$ and so far I'm enjoying (and will probably keep it) and the PC363D sounds great for music and gaming is awesome...

Anyway I can't speak to the schiit amps because I've never tried them. I was very close to purchasing the magni/modi uber twice, but shipping killed it for me. I settled for the ifi black label for around 65$ more, and I can take it to work with me without too much hassle. I know this is kinda silly but I like the bass boost on it, it really makes a noticeable difference. Schiit stuff might be leaps and bounds better but to my untrained ear I'm pretty happy with my purchase for my first "real" DAC/Amp and probably won't go through the hassle to try something else...

You paid 65.00 more ie 380 for the for the ifi because shipping killed you? You are located in Texas. Shipping is not that much. Here is what it would cost to ship to North Carolina.
modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber 298.00 add 20.00 if you want the rca cables.

Fedex Home Delivery $16.68
Usps Priority Domestic $26.85
Fedex 2 day $33.24
Fedex overnight $51.97

Even with overnight shipping it is still cheaper, so I dont understand the logic.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 24
You paid 65.00 more ie 380 for the for the ifi because shipping killed you? You are located in Texas. Shipping is not that much. Here is what it would cost to ship to North Carolina.
modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber 298.00 add 20.00 if you want the rca cables.

Fedex Home Delivery $16.68
Usps Priority Domestic $26.85
Fedex 2 day $33.24
Fedex overnight $51.97

Even with overnight shipping it is still cheaper, so I dont understand the logic.

Point is the modi/magni 2 uber cost more than what I wanted to pay for a strictly desktop setup. For a little more money I have a portable solution with more features that I can take to work and back pretty easily. It fits in a laptop bag and only requires a USB cable to play hi-def music on the go. It also has a battery backup and is one of the better widely accepted "transportable" combo DAC/Amp kits that I've ready about. For me I like the portability without needing to drag wall warts around. The ifi does it all, and is one of the last stops before the point of no return - I mean the major diminishing returns factor is subjectively close to the $500 mark. For $380 with a reputable vendor return policy and full manufacturer warranty, how much more money would I need to spend to find better? Subjectively, a lot, I'd guess.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 24
If you use tubes and especially some NOS tubes Schiit amps won't have that hard, sharp sound that people associate with solid state, unless it's your headphone that has a peak in the treble or midrange.

AudioGD NFB-11. Or get the Meier Jazz FF - price posted on the Meier website includes shipping (and EU VAT where applicable).

Tubes are better for that since they'll glow - you'd have a larger surface area but less harsh intensity light as a visual cue that they're running other than the (sometimes too harsh) LED (that some people tape over). I replaced my PC's silent fans with silent fans that have LEDs on them just so I'd more easily see a blue glow in the room where the computer is instead of rushing out with it still running since I started downloading something.

A solid state amp will also be susceptible to damage if for example you leave a Class A amp idling, and worse if the ambient temperature is relatively high to begin with. And unless it's like one of those giant speaker amps where the board is pressed up against a heatsink wall on the exterior of the chassis, the heat will be inside and potentially cooking some other bits, unlike tubes that stick out of a chassis and if anything you'll just replace the tube (no soldering and all that depending on how the tube is mounted).

That said, that's not enough reason to go with tubes. Use a power strip with an LED on the switch, that way you'd have one extra light to remind you that it's running before you leave the house or otherwise be away from your gear for hours.
Thanks Protoge, I'm really leaning Mojo though. I really wanted a portable solution for when I finally buy those Senn. IE80's (next year when cash is recouped). Plus I've heard so many great things about the mojo. I still have to ask whether its a good fit for the 650. Bixby feels it is and Buke thinks it isn't. So I'm kinda torn from this thread. I'm going to keep searching for answers on the rest of the forum about that pairing. The Mojo stretches my budget, but I'm planning on selling a few things next month that should cushion the cost.

And thanks dude for trying to look out for that :) I've been looking into this and yes, it does have smaller soundstage, but its imaging is supposed to be way better. For FPS, my (almost) almost only game type, I feel the imaging thing is way more important. Plus, I still have my 598's which are FANTASTIC already for gaming in case my 6XX dissappoint

EDIT:::::Looks like people aren't as happy with the mojo as I thought. Plus they say it has small soundstage. I don't think I can deal with small Soundstage on DAC/AMP and Headphones

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #24 of 24
Here is what I am currently using and it sounds amazing. '58 FOTON 6N8S [600mA] XII-58 with a 6SN7/6DJ8 adapter. Have my hd650 on my head and k7xx on the stand.
j313PNb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back