High end/ Audiophile headphones for gaming and music.. need recs'
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everybody,
Been a while since the last time I've been here. I am a long time audiophile and I had a lot of gear in the past, but after selling a lot of stuff I left with a modest setup:
Schiit Modi/ Magni stack (v2 uber) which is my main setup, Headroom Ultra micro amp (Which I barely use anymore) and a handy Audioquest Dragonfly (the old version) nearby.
For cans I have the Sennheiser HD-800 and Grado 325e's. Ok..now to the point :)

I accidently also have a pretty high end gaming PC featuring Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard which really sounds beautiful with the Grados (straight from the mobo) but unfortunately it's a little bit underpowered for the HD-800. The Grados sound amazing and I really like the over-bright and "neutral" sound signature, but they are not so comfortable for long gaming/ listening sessions (this is their only major issue in my opinion).
I am currently looking for high end headphones with neutral sound signature (don't mind for a little overly bright sound but in a good, neutral way) that I can just plug into the motherboard. You probably ask yourself, why don't I just use the HD-800 with the Schiit stack right? pretty much the end of the road for me (the sound can't get much better than this) but sometimes I just don't like to mess with all those wall warts and extra cables cause I usually don't leave my equipment working when I am not actively using it. Unless I am doing a serious listening session or something, most of the times I would like to plug a headphone into the back of my PC and forget about it. And like I said this motherboard actually sound very good! ( ESS sabre DAC) you wouldn't believe how good it sounds with the 325e's, perfectly neutral with smooth top end.

So it needs to be "high-endish", neutral/ analytic..not looking for a "fun" headphones here. And also easy enough to drive straight from the motherboard.
I would like to get you guys' recommendations. The only headphones I can think of are the AT-M70X which seem to fit the bill (had M50x in the past, loved them but overly bassy) , but what other headhpones do you guys recommend? money is not so much of an issue (unless it super expensive, I mean Grado ps-2000e's kind of expensive..).

Thx :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back