Hifiman HE6-SE
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #3,886 of 3,903
Here‘s my personal thoughts, correct me if there's any error.

First, if we want to convert the peak output voltage to power, we need to use the formula P = (Veff)^2 / R, where Veff = Vp-p / (2 * sqrt(2))
Veff = 42 / (2 * sqrt(2)), and the result is Veff ≈ 14.85 V.
Then, putting this value back into the formula P = (Veff)^2 / R, assuming R is 32 ohms, we get P ≈ (14.85)^2 / 32 ≈ 6.89 W.
However, bare in mind that this is the result based on peak voltage, and in typical scenarios, amplifier does not continuously output its peak voltage in normal use.

Based on my personal experience, I'd say, yes, the HE6SE V2 isn't actually that hard to drive. It's not as challenging as you might think IF you simply want it to provide sufficient decibels. It's a headphone that if you feed it more power, you'll get more in return.
20240429101313.jpg
I once owned a GSX mk2, as a full-size amplifier, it could output 5 watts of pure Class A power into 50 ohms, however, I still felt that it couldn't fully uncover the potential of the HE6SE V2. Later, I bought a Rega Brio and used a poweramp to XLR adapter to connect it to the HE6SE V2, I feel that with the brio, the HE6SE V2 is presenting a completely different sound, it has far better dynamic; and the soundstage is remarkably larger, I could even say it's huge seriously, the soundstage is expanded to roughly two to three times its original size, almost unlike sound produced by a headphone
But the drawback driving he6se v2 with brio is that it won't provide you a vocal as smooth and refined as the GSX, or even most headphone amplifiers, on the contrary, vocal may appear somewhat rough

btw brio's second-hand price on ebay was only 1/4 of the GSX mk2's
I just use online conversion tools to figure out the math for me. But it's good to be reminded why I let a computer do the calculation instead of doing it myself!

And, yeah, your experience powering the HE6se v2 fits mine too. I'm always surprised by how little power it actually takes to get the HE6 moving, but once I give it more power, it just sounds more... ugh, I have to say it, confident. But my guess is that their more "confident" sound is mostly just the low end kicking into gear in a controlled way. Everything sounds fuller and faster when they're given a healthy bit of power.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #3,887 of 3,903
I just use online conversion tools to figure out the math for me. But it's good to be reminded why I let a computer do the calculation instead of doing it myself!

And, yeah, your experience powering the HE6se v2 fits mine too. I'm always surprised by how little power it actually takes to get the HE6 moving, but once I give it more power, it just sounds more... ugh, I have to say it, confident. But my guess is that their more "confident" sound is mostly just the low end kicking into gear in a controlled way. Everything sounds fuller and faster when they're given a healthy bit of power.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Honestly, it's quite reassuring to hear that, I was wondering if it was just me thinking that the difference was really that significant!

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #3,888 of 3,903

Ever since my first planar speaker (MG 1 - 1978), I have found every one of the dozens of speakers and headphones I have owned/lived with classed as planar magnetics as always performing better with more power - all other things being equal or nearly equal. Have not found that true of dynamics, estats, ribbons, AMT's - where quality of amp once the power need is met tends to dictate results. I had my hands on the Classe CA-100, 200, 400 (800 wpc @ 4 ohms) at the same time on my at that time Maggie 3.6R. Same technology, listening volumes below clipping of CA-100. The big bear better than the medium one, and the medium better than the baby.

Confidence is a good term - more focus (heard most easily with cymbals and high hats, then overtones of mid instruments), blacker background, more dynamic are others. Damping factor might also factor in. Initial impact of bass instruments seems better/quicker with higher damping.

In headphones, cans that do not scale much tend to obscure this effect - the MD 4XX comes to mind, Fostex FH-500RP is another. On the other side the HE-6 family, LCD-4, Final D8000, Susvara, HEK, etc. certainly show the effect. With planar headphones I've had less of a variety of amps, or a family with the same innards multiplied - but - the greater power thing still holds when comparing. Desktop amps that put out 4 or more WPC @ 50 ohms top those of lower capacity with the HE-6 6 screw or SE. Now, differences were noted qualitatively among the 3 amps I know best with these (Rag 1, BHA-1, V-281) - for instance the bass impact/depth was least on the Rag 1 which has the most power, but, the focus/confidence/swagger thing was the Rag 1 over the other two - and my listening levels are 94 db peak, so none of those 3, or the smaller amps I've used was pressed into clipping.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #3,889 of 3,903
Sorry for the simple question that might seem trivial:

Could it make sense to buy a HE6SE V2 to connect directly to the speaker output of an old Kenwood KA-6004? Or might the amp quality not be up to par? (or... also have a modified T-Amp)

Alternatively I could opt for an used AKG K812 (36 ohm, 110 db/v, non-critical driving) which I could connect directly to my Shanling H7 dac/amp (max 1.2 w)

My budget doesn't allow more than that, and for me details, soundstage and cleanliness are the most important aspects.

Thanks for any opinion
Max

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #3,890 of 3,903

Could it make sense to buy a HE6SE V2 to connect directly to the speaker output of an old Kenwood KA-6004? Or might the amp quality not be up to par? (or... also have a modified T-Amp)

Alternatively I could opt for an used AKG K812 (36 ohm, 110 db/v, non-critical driving) which I could connect directly to my Shanling H7 dac/amp (max 1.2 w)

My budget doesn't allow more than that, and for me details, soundstage and cleanliness are the most important aspects.

Thanks for any opinion
Max
These days desktop amps with oodles of power can be had for just a couple hundred bucks. When the original HE6 first launched, this wasn't the case so people regularly used speaker amps with them. But these days, there's really no need. You just need to find something that can output a couple watts at around 50 Ohms. You've got relatively inexpensive options now, including from big names like Topping and Schiit.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #3,891 of 3,903

Thanks for any opinion
Max
The main thing to watch out for when driving the 6se V2 off of a speaker amp (besides using lots of caution as to not blow the drivers), would be the noise floor. I've tried the speaker taps on 4 different amps and there was a distracting amount of audible hissing on my vintage amp and a cheap HT amp from the 2000s. So with a vintage amp like yours from the 70s, even if the output was super clean when it was new, has it degraded at all in the past 50+ years? Has it been refreshed/recapped/upgraded? Also need to consider if the amp would do well with the 50 Ohm load. Modern stuff usually does okay with that but I don't know how much that varies with older equipment. So it's one of those things, you would need to try it on your unit specifically and see how it works. Lots of variables with something that old.

As for your T-amp, I wouldn't drive a headphone off of a class T or D amp due to their weird behavior with higher Ohm loads.

Setting amps aside, the 6se V2 doesn't have a large soundstage, although I should point out, that no two people will perceive a psychoacoustic effect such as soundstage the exact same way, most agree the 6se V2 is on the smaller side (most planars are, generally). However, it does have lots of detail and a very clean, fast, and responsive sound. So I would say it's 50/50 as far as your sound requirements go.

I haven't ever heard a K812, so I can't comment on that. But a dynamic and a planar are going to provide different listening experiences, even if you like the tuning of both. So, if at all possible audition before you buy!

May 2, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #3,893 of 3,903
I bought a Topping L70 amp which is definitely cleaner sounding than the FiiO K9’s THX amplification (sounds thick, bloated and muddy in comparison) - I’m very happy with the K9 now being reduced to DAC only duty - as many before me have mused - the HE6 family are very compelling… definitely the best headphones I’ve had the pleasure of owning…

Now I just need to work out if I can live with the K9 on DAC only duty, or if I see a Topping E70v in my future…

May 3, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #3,894 of 3,903
I bought a Topping L70 amp which is definitely cleaner sounding than the FiiO K9’s THX amplification (sounds thick, bloated and muddy in comparison) - I’m very happy with the K9 now being reduced to DAC only duty - as many before me have mused - the HE6 family are very compelling… definitely the best headphones I’ve had the pleasure of owning…

Now I just need to work out if I can live with the K9 on DAC only duty, or if I see a Topping E70v in my future…
Those reading this, I highly recommend that you stay as far away from Topping headphone amplifiers as possible. I recommend almost every brand over Topping. Get something better quality than a Topping.

May 3, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #3,895 of 3,903
Sounds good to me, better than the K9

I’m taking it you’ve had QC issues with their products?

May 3, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #3,896 of 3,903
Sounds good to me, better than the K9

I’m taking it you’ve had QC issues with their products?
Yes. Like many, destroyed my headphones. Also, they use poor design choices using cheap parts like cheap potentiometers that use press on with knobs that destroy pcb when knob removed. Just horrid overall. If one owns one, I understand them sticking with it. However, if looking for a new amp, I suggest purchasing pretty much anything else over Topping.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #3,897 of 3,903

Thanks for any opinion
Max
Short answer is yes. I run both my HE-6SE and HE-500 out of speaker taps of my old Pioneer Spec system and the sound is incredible. Have been doing it this way since my first HE-6 years ago and will never go back. As said by others, you just have to be careful with the volume control, both while listening and turning the system on and off. I turn the volume to zero, then turn the speaker control to off, then turn off the power to the system. Same with startup - turn on system, they turn volume to a preset number that I know is safe for my ears (and headphones), then turn speakers to B (which is where my speaker tap connector is wired to.

Oh, and another topic mentioned above - noise floor. I hear NONE with either the HE-6SE or the HE-500, which would be the one to hear it if it was present. May be due to the fact that the entire Spec system has been recapped from preamp to amp to equalizer so all is basically a new system.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #3,898 of 3,903
Indeed the problem is the cost, because a complete recap of that vintage amp costs undreds dollars/euros, and not doing so would mean not fully exploiting the potential of the HE-6SE.
Therefore I think I will opt for the AKG K812, which are at the same level as the Senneiser HD800 (but with more macro dynamics and much forward stage) but are most easy to drive even with the portable dac/amp I already have (and even with some good dongles...): more easy and transportable solution.

However, I had listened to the HE-6SE briefly from a friend and, adequately amplified, they were the ones that impressed me the most, better than the HE1000v2 and Senn HD800.

May 3, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #3,899 of 3,903
Indeed the problem is the cost, because a complete recap of that vintage amp costs undreds dollars/euros, and not doing so would mean not fully exploiting the potential of the HE-6SE.
Therefore I think I will opt for the AKG K812, which are at the same level as the Senneiser HD800 (but with more macro dynamics and much forward stage) but are most easy to drive even with the portable dac/amp I already have (and even with some good dongles...): more easy and transportable solution.

However, I had listened to the HE-6SE briefly from a friend and, adequately amplified, they were the ones that impressed me the most, better than the HE1000v2 and Senn HD800.
Not sure what price you can get the K812 for, but you can usually find a new HE6se v2 marked down to about $500. Add in an amp capable of driving it (Schiit Jotunheim 2 or similar for $400-$600), and you'd still be at about half the cost of the AKG.

May 3, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #3,900 of 3,903
I picked some HE6SEV2 up on here for $350 and already had the Jotunheim 2. The Jotunheim OG will also drive them pretty well and can be picked up for around $200. It's what I'm using at the moment in the office.

The Arya Stealth may just shade it overall, but it's very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back