Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #5,191 of 5,216
Hi all. I am a happy owner of the HE1000se for about a year now. I am driving them with GSX Mini. Source is Matrix Audio X Sabre 3 streamer/dac. Sounds wonderful! I am now stepping for the first time into tubes. I guess you could say I know enough to be dangerous, lol! I know generally speaking to avoid OTL amps with planar headphones. Long story short I want to avoid restocking fee on another headphone return at Moon. So store credit with that fee waived. But will need to choose from the 10 tube amps available at Moon. Will Auris Nirvana mk4 pair well with HEKse? Also looking at the Cayin products there. And wondering about Moons own Inspire tube amp. Oh, I do need the balanced source inputs left and right for the pro balanced equalizer I may possibly want in the chain. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #5,192 of 5,216
From my own experience of having owned the HEKSE, for vocals, you can consider the following "side-grades"; Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Ragnarr, Final D8000 (non pro), Solitaire P-SE. I've owned all before and I find these side-grades to have better rendition of vocals whilst still being able to match the technicalities and resolution of the HEKSE. Bonus is that they also do bass better than the HEKSE, especially the D8000 and P-SE.

Of course if you really love the mid range, then the Susvara is a clear upgrade.
I touch up the vocals on HEKse with my Charter Oak. Adding lower mids and mid upper bass with a studio quality balanced EQ makes the HEKse, when you consider it’s superior detail and technicalities, sound better for vocals (by far) than any other headphone I’ve heard. It’s a magical tweak. To me HEKse equalized in this manner sounds better for mids in general than any other unequalized headphone that I have heard. I therefore really look forward to trying a good tube amp for seeking similar benefits that the equalizer provides. Hopefully without the equalizer. See my last post with my query.
Thanks!

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #5,193 of 5,216
More succinctly, does HEKse play well with Cayin ha-6a, Auris Nirvana IV, or Inspire IHA-1?

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #5,194 of 5,216
deleted

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #5,195 of 5,216
More succinctly, does HEKse play well with Cayin ha-6a, Auris Nirvana IV, or Inspire IHA-1?
I know this was not the question, but depending what you want out the HE1000se, you may want to look at ampsandsound. I have a Pendant (discontinued, I think it’s sold as a Leeloo now), as well as a Cayin HA-300. I thought the HE1000se really benefitted from the solidity and impact of the Pendant vs the soft midrangey goodness of the HA-300. I thought the headphone was a bit sleepy sounding on the Cayin. To my ears, etc.

The Auris would probably fit the bill too, though I only heard a previous version in show conditions.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #5,196 of 5,216
^ Can back this up. The HE1000se sounds awesome on the Pendant. I would imagine it would sound good on the Auris too, but no direct experience.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #5,197 of 5,216
I can’t speak to HE1000se from the HA-6A, but I do use it with my HA-3A (stock tubes). My solid state AMP/DAC, Gold Note DS-10 Plus, brings out the best in the HE1000se. It brought out the details, speed, and bass slam compared to the HA-3A. I enjoy it with orchestra music and songs with emphasis on bass. With that said, I do use my Gold Note as a DAC into my HA-3A. The HA-3A tames the treble of the HE1000se. While some details, speed, and bass slam are lost on the HA-3A, a satisfying amount are still present to enjoy. Actually, I use the HE1000se with the HA-3A about 90% of the time compared to my Gold Note by itself. It’s more relaxing to listen to for longer periods, and tubes are wonderful with jazz. Saxophones and trumpets can be treble happy on my solid state. To my ears, the HA-3A adds warmth to those instruments. Trumpets can be piercing with my solid state, so tubes are welcome in this scenario.

I built flexibility in my chain when I couldn’t decide. I have the option to use HE1000se with my integrated solid state AMP/DAC by itself or pair it with the HA-3A when I want the tube flavor. I use my tube amp more often, but the solid state showcases the abilities of the HE1000se to its maximum potential. I’m glad to own it.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #5,198 of 5,216
Thanks guys. Very helpful!

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #5,199 of 5,216
Anyone else know the Auris Nirvana amp with HEKse?

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #5,200 of 5,216
Anyone else know the Auris Nirvana amp with HEKse?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't good. Try doing a search in that thread if you haven't, might be HE1000se users already commenting there. You could also ask the guy(s) at Moon Audio if they have experience. Not sure if they're Hifiman dealers but they still might. Read any reviews of the amp and see if they mention pairings. If the Auris does well with planars in general I'm sure it would be good with the HE1000se.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #5,201 of 5,216
I'd be surprised if it wasn't good. Try doing a search in that thread if you haven't, might be HE1000se users already commenting there. You could also ask the guy(s) at Moon Audio if they have experience. Not sure if they're Hifiman dealers but they still might. Read any reviews of the amp and see if they mention pairings. If the Auris does well with planars in general I'm sure it would be good with the HE1000se.
Yes. Good advice. Doing all this and so far looks a good match.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #5,202 of 5,216
I feel a need to briefly give some comparisons. All listening through X Sabre 3 balanced > Charter oak PEQ-1 balanced > Headamp GSX Mini balanced 4-pin XLR > headphone.

HEKse vs Fostex TH900:
While Th900 a very fun v shaped dynamic listen, HEKse better on technicalities, timbre, natural sound. Bass more linear and excellent layering. Quantity less than Th900, but HEKse the more satisfying accurate listen. HEKse has plenty of treble with endless extension. But far cleaner than TH, which has a well known treble peak that’s unnatural and quite audible and frankly now after listening to HEKse for a year is unlistenable to me. Used to love Fostex before HEKse came along. Mids recessed on Th900 too. Obvious when comparing to HEKse.

HEKse vs Denon D9200:
The Denon HP sounds great, but HEKse has more and better bass. Hekse mids win here for detail retrieval. Denon ever so slightly drier sounding. Like treble on both. And both have ample treble, with some recordings bordering on bright. But neither strident, harsh, or fatiguing.

HEKse vs HE-R10P Stealth version 2:
Wanted to love the R10P. Especially for the exorbitant price tag. It’s a very good sounding closed back. But hasn’t got the chops that HEKse does in either mids or treble, R10P treble being a bit darker, and R10P bass while good in quantity just not as layered or articulate as HEkse. R10P was good and probably the best closed back I’ve heard, but was no match for tge open backed resolution monster HEKse

HEKSe vs Sony MDR-Z1R:
Sony had bigger fatter somewhat flabby or overhanging bass. No obvious bleed into mids. But mids on the Sony just missing something. Can’t articulate in words. And the treble on Sony is pulled back and while respectable in presence and extension was no match for HEKse.

Yes, I know all these comparisons were closed back. And yes, I didn’t comment on soundstage or image specificity because it was clear in each case that HEKse, being known to be one of the best open backs in the world, trounced each and every one of the above. The Fostex TH900 was the most fun and punchy dynamic listen, but the weird treble peak it has cannot be overlooked.

In conclusion, the HEKse has both U shaped fun factor with strong bass and treble tonality. Couple this with Susvara like technicalities and it is far and away my favorite headphone. And it takes very well to high end EQ. Another big plus for me.
Thanks for listening!

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #5,203 of 5,216
I feel a need to briefly give some comparisons. All listening through X Sabre 3 balanced > Charter oak PEQ-1 balanced > Headamp GSX Mini balanced 4-pin XLR > headphone.

HEKse vs Fostex TH900:
While Th900 a very fun v shaped dynamic listen, HEKse better on technicalities, timbre, natural sound. Bass more linear and excellent layering. Quantity less than Th900, but HEKse the more satisfying accurate listen. HEKse has plenty of treble with endless extension. But far cleaner than TH, which has a well known treble peak that’s unnatural and quite audible and frankly now after listening to HEKse for a year is unlistenable to me. Used to love Fostex before HEKse came along. Mids recessed on Th900 too. Obvious when comparing to HEKse.

HEKse vs Denon D9200:
The Denon HP sounds great, but HEKse has more and better bass. Hekse mids win here for detail retrieval. Denon ever so slightly drier sounding. Like treble on both. And both have ample treble, with some recordings bordering on bright. But neither strident, harsh, or fatiguing.

HEKse vs HE-R10P Stealth version 2:
Wanted to love the R10P. Especially for the exorbitant price tag. It’s a very good sounding closed back. But hasn’t got the chops that HEKse does in either mids or treble, R10P treble being a bit darker, and R10P bass while good in quantity just not as layered or articulate as HEkse. R10P was good and probably the best closed back I’ve heard, but was no match for tge open backed resolution monster HEKse

HEKSe vs Sony MDR-Z1R:
Sony had bigger fatter somewhat flabby or overhanging bass. No obvious bleed into mids. But mids on the Sony just missing something. Can’t articulate in words. And the treble on Sony is pulled back and while respectable in presence and extension was no match for HEKse.

Yes, I know all these comparisons were closed back. And yes, I didn’t comment on soundstage or image specificity because it was clear in each case that HEKse, being known to be one of the best open backs in the world, trounced each and every one of the above. The Fostex TH900 was the most fun and punchy dynamic listen, but the weird treble peak it has cannot be overlooked.

In conclusion, the HEKse has both U shaped fun factor with strong bass and treble tonality. Couple this with Susvara like technicalities and it is far and away my favorite headphone. And it takes very well to high end EQ. Another big plus for me.
Thanks for listening!
Thank you for the reviews, very interesting comparison!

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #5,204 of 5,216
I’ve decided I’m going with the Auris Nirvana IV as my tube amp to complement my GSX Mini SS amp. Hope it’s a great pairing.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #5,205 of 5,216
You’ll likely get better sound by upgrading your DAC. The ones you quoted are great in “tech” but most of that is for show and not for sound. As they say, you get what you paid for.

The amp you have is good enough but it’s being held back by your DAC. If you can afford it get the Yggy GS2 from Schiit while it’s still cheap and available. That thing used to cost 2.5k usd and is comparable to 5k+ usd DACs.
I couldn't agree more. I would upgrade the DAC first. Even though both of those DACs will be measuring monsters, that doesn't mean they provide the upper levels of resolution or allow the soundstage to open up, or deal properly with saturation. But, they will have great numbers as all Topping and SMSL products do. Ah, the measurement wars.

The recommendation of getting an Yggy is a great recommend. It has a lot of snap and pace while maintaining plenty of detail and resolution. Then look at your amp, the MJ3/yggy pairing is absolutely fantastic. Will impart a lot of weight to the sound. The vio is a good amp. It can be improved, but it isn't bad at all. Better than the DACs, in my opinion... I think @psy472 is absolutely correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back