HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #21,857 of 21,878
I doubt LFF is coming back at these in any way or form, guy got better things to do. Though I feel the mass availability of masks during peak COVID would have made his mods potentially cheaper, at least from the material's perspective.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #21,858 of 21,878
FWIW I remember reading some posts in the past about how LFF mods improved some aspects like the tuning but killed the dynamics and resolution of the headphone. I personally never heard one, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some front damping done.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #21,859 of 21,878
FWIW I remember reading some posts in the past about how LFF mods improved some aspects like the tuning but killed the dynamics and resolution of the headphone. I personally never heard one, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some front damping done.

I've got a pair. There definitely is some trade of in frequency response vs dynamics. I don't know about resolution though. With the more even frequency response and the faster decay due to less reflections theres a bit more detail that comes through.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #21,860 of 21,878
Quick PSA – the Audio GD R-27HE is a magnificent match for the HE6 6-screw. Listening to the original JP release of Rush's Signals and every song sounds incredible.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #21,862 of 21,878
Is there a sonical or biuld quality like difference between the 4 screw and the 6 screw OG verion of the Hifiman HE6 ?

I'm asking because I can get the 4 screw version for a good price....
Yes. The 4 screw is brighter and supposedly better from a technical standpoint (faster, more detailed, etc). Many people think the 4-screw needs modding to tame the treble and bring it to its full potential.

Congrats on finding a unicorn. I thought my 6 screw was a 4 screw when I bought it. Super super jealous.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #21,863 of 21,878
Yes. The 4 screw is brighter and supposedly better from a technical standpoint (faster, more detailed, etc). Many people think the 4-screw needs modding to tame the treble and bring it to its full potential.

Congrats on finding a unicorn. I thought my 6 screw was a 4 screw when I bought it. Super super jealous.
Hah, I have a LP 4 screw but would love to try the 6 screw, since I’ve heard that’s king of bass slam. The grass is always greener.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #21,864 of 21,878
I got the 6-screw, I definitely would not want this to be any brighter than it already is.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #21,866 of 21,878
I have an EP 4-screw, but I've modded it into darkish territory mostly with damping material under the pads. A combination of felt and twaron "angel hair" fibres.

Jun 2, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #21,869 of 21,878
IMG_2498.jpeg

My impression of HE6 moded 6-screws:

First and foremost, I would like to thank @dill3000 for his help in moding my he6 for me.

First thing I noticed is that treble is a touch smoother than what I’m used to, reverbs last longer and imaging is sharper!

Spatial information is more present and can be perceived easier, but sound stage is not changed, it still stage the exact same.

Bass is where the biggest difference I felt, it hits stronger and more precise and more fun 🤩. Generally everything is snappier and hit and goes faster. Also I noticed that acoustic instruments with strings is more snappy 🫰🏻 and tickle my ears with every strum of guitar.

Mods done are:
1-Sorbothane as space filler to reduce resonance from gap between driver and cup.
2- blu tack
3- changing the internal wires to UP-OCC big gauge.
4- 3.5 connectors.
5- and charging the headband screws to future proof the headphone repair.

Jun 2, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #21,870 of 21,878
Did you get an amp built by him yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back