HiFiMAN HE-500 Loaner Program [EU-Version]
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #61 of 86
Excellent review jazzy76! Bravo!
This review is very interesting to me, because it seems that we have very similar musical tastes, but I am using HD-650. 
Should you post it also to 'reviews' section, to be more accessible? It is pity to remain 'burried' here.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #63 of 86
So, finally here are my thoughts on the HE-500 that I had before I shipped it to Italy (jazzy76). A big thank you again to Jan, for making this possible (and for the reminder to get on with the review), albeit you might not like what I have to say... sorry...
frown.gif

My playback system includes a hoer-wege modified Kenwood DP-8020 cd-player which outputs via coax-digital to a Meier Audio StageDAC that feeds my Peter-Rill-crafted AMB M³. Other headphones I currently own (but I had lots of others before
rolleyes.gif
) are Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohm and Fischer Audio FA-003 non-woodies.

I will not comment on the box or accessoires or anything because..., well I mean hey, who gives a damn what I think about the box...?

So, let's get straight to the conclusion - yes, my verdict in its ultra-shortened-triple-destilled-version is: The HE-500 has its merits, but I do not think it is the right headphone for me.

And here's why:

One of my major concerns with many past headphones was that they did not fit my head and ears very well. Several phones I appreciated sound-wise had to go because I could just not stand wearing them for extended periods of time (i.e. AKG K701/2, Shure SRH840, Grado SR80 etc.). On the other hand I considered my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 to be super-comfy, but they have virtually no bass at all, and - being a classical educated doublebass-player - that is kind of a problem and they had to go as well.

Now, the HE-500 is the heaviest headphone I have encountered so far and even though the weight is fairly well distributed with the padded headband and nice cushions, I still find it annoying after, say, half an hour. I also regard the clamping force as being a bit too much, but that statement has to be taken with caution, as I wear glasses and it might not be an issue at all for people who do not.

So, the comfort is probably more of a personal preference than a technical flaw, but still it crosses the headphones off my wishlist.
wink_face.gif

Having a look at a topic more interesting for the general public, I will give some comments on the sound.
First of all, I am very sensitive to "too much" at both ends of the frequency spectrum, bass and highs. Now, while the bass quantity and texture on the HE-500 were quite enjoyable, I was missing a bit of definition and the perceived extension was also not reaching down to the lowest octaves with the authority I had expected. At the other end of the spectrum I had the impression of a slightly edgy high-end, which contributed its own part to the feeling of fatigue I already had due to the comfort issues. The mid resolution was very good, though I cannot report anything that has struck me as being particularily noticecable - but that may be the very definition of a well integrated, smooth midrange!

All in all I find the headphones only suitable for short listening sessions due to the slightly fatiguing top-end and comfort-issues. Unfortunately, also during these short session the headphones never made my feet tap, and although the sound is far from bad, I just did not warm up to it. If this was a 300,- $ headphone I would still wholeheartedly recommend it, but at the actual sellprice I do not recommend myself to buy it - but I explicitly ask everybody else to make up his/her own ears, as we all hear differently and what means everything to my ears may mean nothing to yours...

That's it from my end, 
basshead.gif
out.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #64 of 86
The clamping can be sorted by slightly bending/straightening the headband but naturally one does not do that with a loaner. I wear glasses and have no comfort problem with them but that is a very individual thing. I enjoyed the phone enough that I have bought one and sold my HE-4. I have also bought the new leather pads and to me they seem slightly deeper than the stock so just manage to lift the driver off my ears which was the only slight problem I had

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #65 of 86

Hallo all

I have the loaner HE-500. I have been comparing it with Sennheiser HD-650 (‘new’ silver version, with stock cable, but shorter in length than stock) via two amps, Qables iQube and CEntrance DACmini.
It is a hectic week in work, so I struggle to go back to home not too late! Till now it is really first impressions, but I find the comparison quite unfair for the HD-650, for both the amps, because, although ΗΕ-500 is much less sensitive, it has quite much more tremble and, surprisingly, bass also. So, it is very easy to choose HE-500 over HD-650.
By combining the two Frequency graphs found on Tyll’s InnerFidelity, you can see that HE-500 has quite similar FR with HD-650:

Light blue and yellow is the FR of HD-650, red and dark blue is the FR of HE-500. The graph clearly shows that HE-500 has quite more treble energy, and more bass also. This is also what I am hearing (actually I am hearing much more bass in the HE-500 that the graph implies!).

This compliments HE-500 sound quite a lot. I am planning to equalize it to match HD-650 sound so make more apparent other than frequency response sound qualities.
Of course, to really equalize with precision by ear, one needs quite much time, that I really can’t have now. But I will try. I will send HE-500 to the next in line on Monday the 19th.  
Two things, other than FR differences, are quite apparent from the start: grain and stereo image. The big advantage of HE-500 over HD-650 is its grain free, smooth, sound. Also I find HE-500 stereo image a bit less wide but much more coherent. With HD-650 instruments tend to be in three disting places, middle, left and right. With HE-500 the soundstage is more evenly spaced.  

That’s for start. More analytical impressions after I equalize and level match the two headphones.

Cheers.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #66 of 86

Quote:
I have also bought the new leather pads and to me they seem slightly deeper than the stock so just manage to lift the driver off my ears which was the only slight problem I had

Is there any significant sound change between leather pads and stock ones? Do you find bass slam bigger? Is there any change in midrange? 

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #67 of 86
I don't perceive any sound difference but must admit that I can't be bothered to do any serious A/B testing and swapping

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #68 of 86

Quote:
I don't perceive any sound difference but must admit that I can't be bothered to do any serious A/B testing and swapping

what if you put one pleather and one velour both on at the same time?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #69 of 86
Just did that. Maybe there is slightly more bass prescence (but maybe I only feel that because somebody else said that). To be honest The difference if any is not something that jumps out at me. But they are deffinately that much deeper than the stock pads that I hardly any longer feel that slight discomfort of the ears touching the crossbar on the driver protection

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #70 of 86
I have posted my review of loaner HE-500 here. I enjoyed it very much, thank you SievekingSound and HifiMan!

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #71 of 86
Sep 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #73 of 86
Sep 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #74 of 86
Thank you plin, I know its very unconventional but I'm not a very experienced reviewer like yourself.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #75 of 86

Quote:
Thank you plin, I know its very unconventional but I'm not a very experienced reviewer like yourself.

I have only reviewed once in my life! I think my review was pretty unconventional also, because I just compared HE-500 to the other headphone (HD-650) I have. Of course this makes my review quite limited. The reason I think your review was interesting is that you compared HE-500 with a lot of other HifiMan phones, and you swapped cables also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back