HiBy R3 II--new and improved: physical volume knob, 4.4mm balanced out, increased power
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #46 of 171
Oh, I do not know that the Topping G5 can be used as a standalone amp, have you tried G5 with Mojo2?
G5 with Mojo2 is as good as it gets. In fact most DAP I tried, except DX300, got a boost when paired with G5.

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #47 of 171
If you want confirmation we can just ask @Joe Bloggs or @HiByMusic.

It’s not just HiByOS, but also related operating systems from xDuoo and Shanling that have database limits. If you browse for albums or tracks using the folder views there is no limits. Only if you browse by Album or Artist will you encounter databse limitations.
Currently the limit is up to 50,000 tracks

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 6, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #49 of 171
Currently the limit is up to 50,000 tracks
Wow, that’s quite an improvement from my R3 Pro’s 15,000. Did the time it takes to process a full scan also improve? Thanks for chiming in.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #50 of 171
Wow, that’s quite an improvement from my R3 Pro’s 15,000. Did the time it takes to process a full scan also improve? Thanks for chiming in.
Both devices have the same cpu and ram amount. If one can support 50k tracks, so can the other. It's a soft limit imposed by hiby to differentiate the devices.
I'm going to guess that the scan speed will be the same for both. Unless they coded a new and faster way for file scanning that they won't port to older devices.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #51 of 171
Do I need to scan if I play it by folders? I don't think so.
The problems I encounter using this player is that after I scan the player can't recognize the sd card and I have to reset to factory settings to see it again. Also it does scan on up to 7000 songs. Not sure If I am doing something wrong in the process.
The bluetooth reception is not the strongest amongst other players. My Sony NW-A306 has better range.
It doesn't play in alphabetical order when playing by folders and choosing the option to play continuously through folders.
The sound is great, though.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #52 of 171
Both devices have the same cpu and ram amount. If one can support 50k tracks, so can the other. It's a soft limit imposed by hiby to differentiate the devices.
I'm going to guess that the scan speed will be the same for both. Unless they coded a new and faster way for file scanning that they won't port to older devices.
I checked the SD card for the database file and didn't find it so it's most likely stored on the slow internal spi flash. The R3 pro has 128MB. It's possible that the v2 has more and it can store a bigger database.
Anyway, the R3 pro file system when uncompressed is around 70MB. I doubt a database with 50k entries needs more than 15MB so 128MB sounds enough, but i'm just speculating. Maybe the 128MB aren't really enough.

Oct 6, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #54 of 171
My thinking, too. Hoping for an "official" response, too, though. Can the firmware be opened and edited and saved for changing this and other features?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #55 of 171
Thumbnails?
I don't think it stores thumbnails. In the album view it always takes ages for the thumbnails to show up like it's reading them in real time and downsizing them on the cpu. If you scroll down and wait for new albums to show and scroll up again, it will take a long time again for the covers to show up. Like it's reading them and downsizing them again.
It would be nice if there was a way to store a very low res version of the covers on the SD card but doing this when the device scans for files would be extremely slow. The CPU has no jpeg compression/decompression capabilities as opposed to the x2000.
In the ipods, it was itunes that made that stuff but hiby doesn't have any software of the sorts. A plugin for musicbee would be nice tho.

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #56 of 171
My thinking, too. Hoping for an "official" response, too, though. Can the firmware be opened and edited and saved for changing this and other features?
You can open it and browse the file system but the things you want to change are on compiled binaries. The only thing I saw that could be changed is the theme.
Anyway, I don't think that changing stuff and trying the modified firmware would work unless tou know what you are doing. The checksums would not be the same and even if you made it accept any firmware, the image file needs to be properly built in order to load.
There are lots of intelligent people who probably could make it work although it would probably be easier to port rockbox to it.

Edit: sorry for double posting instead of replying in a single one.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #57 of 171
Actually as far as I know that is the new limit for all devices. We did have to optimize the compression scheme to increase this limit.

It may take time for firmware with this new coding to roll out to all devices but most devices should have it already.

There was firmware floating around out there that did not have a (stated) limit, but that was at the expense of things like display of most non-european characters.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 6, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #58 of 171
Actually as far as I know that is the new limit for all devices. We did have to optimize the compression scheme to increase this limit.

Well, I'll be quite a happy camper when this firmware reaches my R3 Pro. Hope to also see an announcement of its availability, too. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #59 of 171
So this does work as an Airplay receiver, right? It’s been as good as stated in so many words, but - I’d rather have it stated in so many words!

And you early adopters don’t think it suffers from the lack of a dedicated amp section? I’m looking for an upgrade from my Qudelix, so Airplay connection would beat AAC, but what about the sound? I was looking at Shanling’s M1S, but it only supports Airplay as an emitter. So it’s useless for me, but I like its DAC + amp specs for around €200.

edit: is it a problem for Airplay performance that only the 2.4 Wifi band is supported?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #60 of 171
So this does work as an Airplay receiver, right? It’s been as good as stated in so many words, but - I’d rather have it stated in so many words!

And you early adopters don’t think it suffers from the lack of a dedicated amp section? I’m looking for an upgrade from my Qudelix, so Airplay connection would beat AAC, but what about the sound? I was looking at Shanling’s M1S, but it only supports Airplay as an emitter. So it’s useless for me, but I like its DAC + amp specs for around €200.

edit: is it a problem for Airplay performance that only the 2.4 Wifi band is supported?

Yes, the R3 II (as well as the R3 Pro) work well as Airplay receivers. I use it this way often as it's better quality and range than bluetooth for moving around the house. No difference noted with 2.4 wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back