HiBy FC6--R2R dongle DAC reborn
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #226 of 245
The resistor matching level is not particularly extraordinary. What makes it all work is our linearity compensation technology. To grossly oversimplify, it takes the input values of the digital data assuming an evenly spaced grid of 2^bd values (bd=bit depth) and maps it correctly to the actual values of a non-evenly spaced grid produced by an imperfect R2R network, ensuring output linearity whatever resistors we use (within reason). This was sort of glossed over, briefly mentioned in the ad copies, but should really be a big selling point...
Thanks! You have a very good point there.

Both Amir from ASR and Paul from PS Audio have told me at certain times that r2r would be their preferred dac if the need for high resistor tolerance can be addressed properly. Paul even made a video on this several years ago.

It seems you have discovered one way to address that, you should definitely use it more as marketing.

Is the compensation two part: hardware plus algorithm(software)? Is the algorithm part resampling or altering the signal?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #227 of 245
Thanks! You have a very good point there.

Both Amir from ASR and Paul from PS Audio have told me at certain times that r2r would be their preferred dac if the need for high resistor tolerance can be addressed properly. Paul even made a video on this several years ago.

It seems you have discovered one way to address that, you should definitely use it more as marketing.

Is the compensation two part: hardware plus algorithm(software)? Is the algorithm part resampling or altering the signal?
The hardware part would be to make as good of an R2R DAC as possible within the budget to start with, the software part would be improving it via software as described above. Sorry I cannot go into further detail about it (the original post actually contains most of the details if you read into it), but rest assured it is not resampling in terms of adding samples in time, for the NOS mode...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #228 of 245
The hardware part would be to make as good of an R2R DAC as possible within the budget to start with, the software part would be improving it via software as described above. Sorry I cannot go into further detail about it (the original post actually contains most of the details if you read into it), but rest assured it is not resampling in terms of adding samples in time, for the NOS mode...
Yep, I understand. No proprietary details needed. You answered the only concern - no resampling, so it indeed is pure r2r and real NOS. That's what I was hoping for. 🙂👍

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #233 of 245
I can definitely say good things sometimes come in small packages. This cute dongle is the bomb! I don't understand why Hiby would stop producing this marvelous gadget unless there's really a serious flaw that will eventually cause it to explode and kill some people.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #234 of 245
I can definitely say good things sometimes come in small packages. This cute dongle is the bomb! I don't understand why Hiby would stop producing this marvelous gadget unless there's really a serious flaw that will eventually cause it to explode and kill some people.

Usually it's the necessity or opportunity to improve. No need to produce continuously a version with certain flaws if you can improve it.

Manufacturers don't update models because they "explode and kill some people". 🤣

Hopefully we will see a successor soon.

May 21, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #235 of 245
Usually it's the necessity or opportunity to improve. No need to produce continuously a version with certain flaws if you can improve it.

Manufacturers don't update models because they "explode and kill some people". 🤣

Hopefully we will see a successor soon.
Ok, that might have been an exaggeration but my point is that just like some of the other popular branded dongles from Fiio and Shanling that have been around for years, this HIby FC6 doesn't seem to be seriously flawed. Imperfect yes, no dongle enjoys perfection. There's Cayin, Ibasso, among many others.

May 22, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #236 of 245
Hi all,

can you guys link me to all the firmware versions i can download?

Hiby website currently have 1.04 1.06 and 1.07.

May 22, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #237 of 245
Did you use the DFU tool to update to the file provided in the package, or did you search online using the tool? Because this update hasn't been uploaded to the cloud yet.
Hi,

can i have all the links for each of the firmware?

I cant go back to the stock now and they sound very different.

I am experimenting which one that i like the most now.

Thank you.

May 22, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #240 of 245
The only available FWs are 1.04, 1.06 and 1.07, and (new Darwin filter in 1.07 aside) they sound absolutely the same under the same settings.
To my subjective ears, and for the right headphones (tested with Beyerdynamic DT 700 pro x and Sundara), I can distinguish the difference in sound quality. Sorry, I can't give you mumbo jumbo words to describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back