Hi, I'm JDS
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jseaber

Member of the Trade: JDS Labs
Hello, everyone. My name is John, better known as JDS of JDS Labs. Big Jude graciously setup this blog over the weekend to serve as an outlet for my random posts and articles (new and old), which are currently scattered across the audio community.

There's not much audio to see in this post, but for those curious, I'm a 31 year old electrical engineer / founder living outside of St. Louis with my wife and 1 year old daughter. Headphones were a hobby I adopted in 2004. Here's the set of HD-280 Pros that started my insanity:

IMG_20170911_161145.jpg

Said hobby grew severely out of hand in 2007; JDS Labs distracted me from entering graduate school. Instead, I took an engineering job in 2009 and then realized I'd rather be a motivated and creative member of society, rather than bored out of my mind with a consistent source of income. So I resigned. JDS Labs grew into an official corporation with employees and office space in 2011.

Nick and I stumbled our way through business while I cursed the idea of marketing and sales in the early years. We happened to get serious at an opportune time. I wanted to see high performance amplifiers that people like myself could not only afford, but compare based on specifications. NwAvGuy appeared months later, and JDS Labs became the face of the Objective movement. To anyone new to the scene: benchmarks were rare in 2007. Very rare. The push for measurements has helped everyone to better compare amps and DACs, and ultimately led to a price revolution.

Today, JDS Labs is 10 years old, and resides in an 8000 sq. ft. facility, with half the shop dedicated to enclosure machining, and half to electronics assembly and Q/C. Don't think it's been easy! Absolutely not. Manufacturing anything is complex work...

I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I'll get back to audio in the next thread.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 27
Hey John,

Great to have an official thread for your company. I had an early version of JDS Labs C5D, used it to power an HD650 among other headphones. Absolutely loved the bass boost implementation on that amp, and the DAC had a great quality to it. I haven't kept as up-to-date with your current products, but I'd be interested to know if you'll be providing objective measurements for future JDS Labs gear.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 27
Welcome! My first real amp was an o2, then sold that and upgraded to The Element.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 27
"Big Jude" = JDS Jude? :)

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 27
My family and I have several JDS products. Great value, great quality and simplicity. Terrific accomplishments at such a young age!

The tiny O2 amp flew quite a few miles with me. I even enjoyed what it did recently to Chord Mojo and Beyerdynamic T1's. Such power in a little package!

Customer Service has always been the type of experience that causes a positive psychological connection to "JDS Labs", similar to other companies ("Chord Electronics") who go out of their way for excellence.

I hope you have many decades of success!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 27
Happy to have you guys here! My first EVER portable amp was a JDS Labs cMoy with bass Boost! I've always enjoyed working with you guys, weather as an actual customer or a potential one! Looking forward to seeing what you guys do next

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 27
in my 10 years + in audio, ive never come across a more efficient and prolific custumer support team than JDS Labs.

im a proud C5D owner and i wont hesitate in purchasing another product by you guys, whenever that might be in the near future.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 27
Welcome John - I'm really looking forward to some of your insights.

One that has always intrigued me is the slightly different "tonality" of amps and DACs - even when they measure flat. Any light you could shed ont hat would be very much appreciated. Would laos love any insights you could give on balanced vs single-ended output (benefits, and straight up myths).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back