help me build a frankenpod!!!!
Feb 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trip.Rock.Post.Hop

New Head-Fier
sooooo, I initailly set out to find a DAC/AMP combo to use with my iphone and SR325i's. the Headphone jack is crapping out(no not from a ****ty bassinet to mini plug converter, but because apple planned it that way) which is lame because the only reason I bought it was because the headphone jack on my 30gig Video crapped out for the 4th time(i would have replaced the jack for a 5th time, but my phone decided to die on me as well that week)
this time around i think im gonna get a bit more innovative......

So that 30gig i got laying around, is still working through its dock.... i got a metal case from a 2005 20gig ipod which i want to empty and put some kind of DAC chip into, then for the third layer on this beast ima run it into one of those PERFECTLY SIZED ibasso T4's, then finally hit my cans.
that way i get almost twice as much room then the phone, HUGE difference in SQ, and if i want i could even hook this lil creature up to the phone too, via LOD
now....... am i just an idiot? is this possible? why has this not been done before? could i wire a line out cable directly to a DAC chip that i could build into this small encasing?

From what ive inferred, the ibasso T4 or T3 seems to suit my setup/budget/size/sound preference, but are there any other options i should consider? im looking for a bass presence boost, leave mids completely alone, even out the shrill highs

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 6
Feb 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 6
yeah that seems like a great option, but dont want to spend that much, especcially if I already need to get an amp. could definitely consider diyModing the video, but I already got my DIY project going on till near the summer. (im building an acoustic guitar.) i guess that leaves me time to plan it out real well, make sure this is the best option.

I was wondering if anyone made a LOD cable containing some kind of DAC? also if there are any videos online of the diyMOD procedure on a 5G ipod video? also, would anyone advise against DIYmodding the pod because they will be used mainly with grado 325s. love those headphones, but with this project hopfully I'll be able to add some bass presence and reccess the Highs the TINIEST bit. and it seems like most diyMODs end up being brighter. when i put an electric guitar together, i noticed the capacitor ratings on the tone knobs greatly influenced the warmth of the sound; could i use different caps when diyMODing to influence greater warmth in the output?

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 6
The line out of the dock is already analogue, that is it has already been through a DAC so no, you can't add a better one. You'd need to buy a wadia itransport to bypass the internal DAC, and that won't fit in your pocket!

Doing the DIYmod is quick (but not easy - very small soldering) when you're familiar with taking ipods apart which you seem to be, the bigger case could be used to hold bigger capacitors but probably not bigger enough for a huge improvement over quality electrolytics. In thery it is the same signal as maxed headphone out, any extra brightness is probably due to the capacitors used - research coupling capacitors in general and find some that match the signature you'd like
normal_smile .gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The line out of the dock is already analogue, that is it has already been through a DAC so no, you can't add a better one. You'd need to buy a wadia itransport to bypass the internal DAC, and that won't fit in your pocket!

I have not looked in the the iTransport from Wadia, but if it does indeed access a digital signal through the connector on the bottom of an iPod, why cant we? Don't get me wrong - I have no idea how but just saying if its done by Wadia why can't the DIY community?
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back