HE60 "Baby Orpheus" vs. HE90 "Big Daddy Orpheus" vs. Stax Omega 2 First Impressions
Apr 2, 2005 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Last night, I finished a prototype HE60 to Stax adapter cable. At the moment, I have Jatinder's HE60s on loan. I also have a pair of HE90s, and a KGSS with both HE90 and Stax jacks -- and a pair of Omega 2s on perma-loan.

The HE60 is much, much better than I expected it to be. I had previously heard it on the HEV70 and found it simply unacceptable, being extremely flabby in its bass and simply off in everything but the treble.

Off the KGSS, the HE60 is quite close to the HE90. The HE60 is warmer with a more bass-oriented presentation that gives it a more intimate feel than the wide-open spaciousness of the HE90. Whereas the HE90 is easy on the mid-bass[1], the HE60 took lessons from the Omega2 here. (the Stax is still the basshead headphone, though.) The HE60 gets its warmth from the combination of this bump with a tendency towards less detail than the HE90. Don't read too much into that, though -- the HE60 is at least 90% of the HE90.

[The HE60 is not the same driver as the HE90. The HE60 is considerably smaller, the same size as the HD580/600/650. It also uses plastic everywhere, instead of the metal and wood of the HE90. The driver uses plastic spacers instead of phenolic.]

[1] The HE90 has noticeably deeper bass response, though it is less prominent.

Some pictures:
http://www.audiogeek.net/images/he60/he60.html

Apr 2, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 58
hopefully we can have a mini-meet sometime soon ... so i can hear this for myself ... 90 percent you say ... ? interesting

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 58
trevor was suppose to be headin down today, cept he got held up at work , someone messed something up and he had to stay till 4am to get it fixed, on top of things, the bank messed up a transaction for the rent last month and that bogged things down even more, alas not meant to happen today i suppose. im thinking next weekend, we'll see, hopefully ill have my headcode put together by then, not in an enclosure but at least we'll be able to listen.... fun fun

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Yeah, it's too bad GoRedWings19 and TrevorNetwork didn't make it down here...

Wait, Wait dude I have the He60's. And I will be in Canada shortly. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the he60 with the Stax 007t amp.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 58
Nah, you're not allowed to hate me until the Meitner and dCS review samples arrive in June.

wink.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Off the KGSS, the HE60 is quite close to the HE90. The HE60 is warmer with a more bass-oriented presentation that gives it a more intimate feel than the wide-open spaciousness of the HE90. Whereas the HE90 is easy on the mid-bass[1], the HE60 took lessons from the Omega2 here. (the Stax is still the basshead headphone, though.) The HE60 gets its warmth from the combination of this bump with a tendency towards less detail than the HE90. Don't read too much into that, though -- the HE60 is at least 90% of the HE90.

Eric, this was pretty much exactly what my initial impressions were when I heard all of these headphones together (off of bozebutton's amp and source) at the May '04 meet in NY. I've never heard the HE60's off of the HEV70, but when run head to head against the HE90's on a top-flight amp, they definitely hold their own and are remarkably similar. I'd say they were more like 95% of the HE90's, and to my ears, the HE60's were preferable to the O2's (but I'm not a big fan of the O2's 'dark' presentation).

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Eric, this was pretty much exactly what my initial impressions were when I heard all of these headphones together (off of bozebutton's amp and source) at the May '04 meet in NY. I've never heard the HE60's off of the HEV70, but when run head to head against the HE90's on a top-flight amp, they definitely hold their own and are remarkably similar. I'd say they were more like 95% of the HE90's, and to my ears, the HE60's were preferable to the O2's (but I'm not a big fan of the O2's 'dark' presentation).

I heard Hirsch has managed to get very good results from the he60 from the stax 007t amp.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I'd say they were more like 95% of the HE90's, and to my ears, the HE60's were preferable to the O2's (but I'm not a big fan of the O2's 'dark' presentation).

After a few more hours of listening, I agree on that count. Though they don't go as deep or have quite as much detail as the HE90, the added midbass gives them a solid trump over the O2.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I heard Hirsch has managed to get very good results from the he60 from the stax 007t amp.

I'm sure you will too, but talk to Hirsch about his tube rolling experiences with the 007t. Apparently, it makes a big difference (or maybe this is what you were referring to by "good results"?).

Apr 3, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Wait, Wait dude I have the He60's. And I will be in Canada shortly. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the he60 with the Stax 007t amp.

If you're bringing your sources with you (dCS especially), I'll host the meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

If you're bringing your sources with you (dCS especially), I'll host the meet
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't got the DCS anymore. While I found the sound accurate and "perfect" it was too analytical and musically uninvolving.

It;s like comparing the HP-2's (flat and musically accurate) to the RS-1's (Coloured but musical). I was planning to ship a Wadia 270/27ix into Canada but decided not to.

But I will be going into Ottawa 20 ish of this month.

Incidentally I think the DCS would have great synergy with your He90.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 58
eric343,

when we can read something of you about the Qualia 010 ??? Have you listened them? You love electrostatics cans and the Qualia is more than electrostatics...

Best!
Nicola

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 58
I do love electrostatics!

Unfortunately, I've never even seen a pair of Qualias in person
frown.gif
Maybe I can get someone to send them to me... but I don't think there's enough demand to offer custom cables. (which is how I got the HE60s on loan -- I had to take measurements on the connector)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back