Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #946 of 1,048
I've recently bought A26 and I am already sorry for doing this. I am using Gustard X20 (modified) with Singer SU-1 (modified) via HDMI (I2S) connection. I also use dual PC with JPlay Femto Net cards, JPlay Femto Usb card for streaming and JPlay app. as a control point. I was very disappointed of the performance of the new Gustard DAC. I did A to B for 3 weeks and can truly say that the old X20 performs much much better than the new A26. Seems to me that Gustard have neglected their products despite the fact that their prices gone up twice.
Using the A26 like how you were/are I can see why you would experience this.
Poor implementation isn’t a reflection of the Dac.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #947 of 1,048
It appears from the photos that there are only 4 opamps. 1 for each balanced I/V stage. What would be the critical considerations that might lead to problems? Band width/ slew rate/ Unity gain stable?
Dual opamps, count x2. It is difficult to speculate what is their function. Most likely a second order LP filter, but it can be done on the single opamp (two for a balanced circuit). A number suggests nested loopback which I wouldn't temper with. Each opamp is unity gain stable, but two in a nested loop are not. Explaining would be of-topic in this thread.

[EDIT] Deleted portion that apllies to R26, but not to A26.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #948 of 1,048
What would make you think this is needed or somehow difficult.
You haven’t even used the best input of the A26. Don’t waste money on a usb card or High frequency polluting PGGB. Plug in a LAN cable, Buy HQplayer and Roon lifetime membership (waaaay less than a Jcat card and PGGB) and actually experience how good the A26 is.
Youre really missing out otherwise.
Is there a guide to all of the recommended hardware that I need to try this for my harddrive files and Qobuz?

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #949 of 1,048
Is there a guide to all of the recommended hardware that I need to try this for my harddrive files and Qobuz?
Don’t need any hardware. Just an Ethernet cable.
2 software programs
Roon
HQplayer
Done.
Roon will organize all your hard drive files and create a beautiful library for you. It will then link to Qobuz, analyze your library and theirs and create playlists and recommendations based on your tastes. It’s like steroids for Qobuz.
Hqplayer is a phenomenal upsampler with its own better filters and modulators, allowing you to covert your entire library and Qobuz to DSD256. Thus enjoying the A26s ability to native play DSD perfectly. One of the only NAA DACs in existence that can do this.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #950 of 1,048
...and I am pretty sure you need a Master in IT + days of installing/understanding/synchonizing/updating... with such a solution. And you need a performing dedicated Laptop/PC, which add to the cost !

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #951 of 1,048
...and I am pretty sure you need a Master in IT + days of installing/understanding/synchonizing/updating... with such a solution. And you need a performing dedicated Laptop/PC, which add to the cost !
Nope it’s all really pretty easy, and huge communities like this one exist to support.
Laptop/PC doesn’t have to be dedicated at all.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #952 of 1,048
have you ever tried JPlay? Double PC configuration? Streaming Qobuz and Tidal via JPlay app from iPad? If not you're the one missing out.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #954 of 1,048
No it doesn't. Why do you think upsampling files would improve SQ? If that was the case Qobuz and Tidal should have implemented upsampling. What's the big deal upsampling a Flac file (16/44.1) to DSD256? Just making a lot of work for the processor of your PC or Mac. Not to mention the noice this could create in your computer.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #955 of 1,048
I think Camrector will answer your questions very precisely...
From what I understand, DSD native is precisely about avoiding the PCM treatment (decimation) of the original analog signal being first converted into 1 bit DSD, and then PCM....

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #956 of 1,048
From what I understand, DSD native is precisely about avoiding the PCM treatment (decimation) of the original analog signal being first converted into 1 bit DSD, and then PCM....
Converting to DSD is a method for bypassing inferior upsampling and conversion to DSD inside a DAC.

Alternatively get R2R DAC that decode PCM natively without converting to DSD. It will play PCM in a native form and no upsampling, noise shaping is required.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #957 of 1,048
Don’t need any hardware. Just an Ethernet cable.
2 software programs
Roon
HQplayer
Done.
Roon will organize all your hard drive files and create a beautiful library for you. It will then link to Qobuz, analyze your library and theirs and create playlists and recommendations based on your tastes. It’s like steroids for Qobuz.
Hqplayer is a phenomenal upsampler with its own better filters and modulators, allowing you to covert your entire library and Qobuz to DSD256. Thus enjoying the A26s ability to native play DSD perfectly. One of the only NAA DACs in existence that can do this.
Hi Camrector
How do you associate Roon with HQ Player ?
If it doesn't fit to this discussion thread, do you have a link/path to a discussion explaining how it works ?
Thanks in advance

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #958 of 1,048
Hi Camrector
How do you associate Roon with HQ Player ?
If it doesn't fit to this discussion thread, do you have a link/path to a discussion explaining how it works ?
Thanks in advance
As far as linking the two programs?
Roon under settings>setup>scroll down to Add HQplayer
Then just select HQplayer from the Zones menu.

Attachments

• IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #960 of 1,048
No it doesn't. Why do you think upsampling files would improve SQ? If that was the case Qobuz and Tidal should have implemented upsampling. What's the big deal upsampling a Flac file (16/44.1) to DSD256? Just making a lot of work for the processor of your PC or Mac. Not to mention the noice this could create in your computer.
Unless you have a NOS dac upsampling and converting to Dsd is happening within your dac already.
Upsampling improves SQ by increasing the frequency to a higher rate were we can apply a much gentler and better sounding filter to digital data.
The big deal about upsampling is just that- increasing sound quality.
Upsampling is better done by the powerful processors of a computer. Your dac now has less work to do (thus less noise and distortion occuring in the dac)
and all it has to do is covert that digital signal to analog.
Here is a good chart on the ad/da process. One can see the importance of passing the dac dsd direct and bypassing all the internal dac processes.

Attachments

• IMG_9185.gif
    IMG_9185.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back