Grado GS1000i with MAD Ear+ HD?
Oct 20, 2011 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cpetrillo

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here heard this combination? I would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has heard both the GS1000i and the RS1i with the Ear+. I have been using my GS1000i's and Ear+ with a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player for a while now. I have come to the conclusion that I love this set up for classical (mostly chamber music and piano), jazz, vocals and most acoustic music but I'm not loving it for rock.

A lot of my CD collection is older rock stuff and much of it can be harsh, bright and almost painful to listen to at times with this combo. I could really use some advice. Any suggestions on tubes or cables that might help? Would a different amp be a better match with the GS1000i's or should I swap them for RS1i's and keep the ear+?

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 4
Add a 2nd hand RS1 to the collection and call it a day? Best of both worlds.

Soundstage and separation with the GS1000 for your big classical works.

RS1 for your old rock collection, I know your pain, my little Richard collection
makes me weep with my 325i's on occasion and this is on a fairly forgiving
amp.

Jazz ~ mix it up between the two ~ Nice Chesky material should sound very
nice on either I'd imagine.

Just my two cents.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 4
GS1000 is great for classical, concert,symphony type genre. Especially at low volume with excellent source material and equipment.

RS1i excellent for small and multi mic setup music and wanting to be on stage with performer; very intimate listening. Great with female vocal.

Enjoy music!

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 4
I will say this for the GS1000i's. They do the sound-stage/imaging thing so well that I can at times forget I am wearing headphones and get the illusion of instruments or at least loudspeakers playing in the room. This is particularly the case with classical, acoustic jazz and vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back