Gold plated 3.5mm jack turning into a silver color? (Not working properly too)( - source fault?)
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sabjn

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I have met up with a seller of a pair of Sony XBA-A3's and both his cables we're about 80% "scratched" into a silver looking color, they we're also faulty, had to hold them in a special way for them to work (when rotating the 3.5 jack, it was distorting, when twisting the cable the sound was disappearing / losing audio), and it was a lot worse when inserting into my portable dac (it's a cheap chi-fi dac but it works flawlessly with my hd560s and ie 200, also pretty good sound and amp :)) The seller said he never used the cables, which is of course a damn lie 🙄 But when inserting the jack into my friends phone or the sellers phone (mine doesn't have one) it was somewhat better, not that much distortion and less of that "having to hold it a special way" stuff, still though, it was definitely not fully working. The seller wasn't trying to really sell it to me aggresively but he wanted to take advantage of my youth and started saying it's actually not a problem or anything serious, but I ended up not buying them because of it, I liked the IEM's themselves though :D he was also a huge snake oil fan saying I'm lucky getting them second hand because apparently they require "burn-in" and he had them for some good time so they perform "the best", also telling me about custom very overpriced cables and how they affect the sound... Smh! He seemed like a good guy though, pretty calm and understanding.

But now he's saying he can give me his other XBA-Z5 cable (same lineup, compatible) that apparently works well and is new, which it looks like it really is (for free).

So, my question is: Should I go for that offer or just give up on this seller? No other listing of A3's here though 😬

And can cables not work properly because of that gold plate being scratched? Thanks!

*Pictures of the Z5's "working" cable*

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_234326_999.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_234326_999.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240428_234344_999.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_234344_999.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 4
The coating is to prevent corrosion, you can still get a connection without it. Try 90% rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner to get the buildup off. It looks like grime that should rub off. Gold plate is incredibly thin, I've had some old Beyerdynamic headphones where the adapter was rubbed down, of course those are easy to replace. It's why I always leave an adapter in the amplifier and plug unplug from that. I use the flex kind that's 3 inches of cable to make it easy.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 4
The coating is to prevent corrosion, you can still get a connection without it. Try 90% rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner to get the buildup off. It looks like grime that should rub off. Gold plate is incredibly thin, I've had some old Beyerdynamic headphones where the adapter was rubbed down, of course those are easy to replace. It's why I always leave an adapter in the amplifier and plug unplug from that. I use the flex kind that's 3 inches of cable to make it easy.
The seller tried rubbing it with alcohol and he says it works fine, but I guess the actual cable problem isn't gone... (when twisting the cable the sound was disappearing / losing audio) so the 3.5 wasn't the only thing wrong with it I suppose

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back