Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Mar 21, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #106 of 399
Things rarely explode in the movies I watch.
Action movies don't really have explosions, but large gasoline fireballs. Real explosions are very dangerous and so fast that it all is over within one or two frames.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #107 of 399
Not quite, it’s in-band gain. You need to use a band-limited test signal. Using a broadband signal it would work out somewhere around 112dB. Also, in a small room you would typically calibrate to 79-82dB rather than the 85dB (= -20dBFS).
Sorry, I don't see this making much difference, but then again I don't have experience on calibrating sound system to theatrical specs...

Not for music but for some sound effects we do. Don’t forget that at 30Hz, 60dBSPL is barely audible and we want to move enough air so there’s actually a physical sensation in the case of explosions for example.

G
Yes, 60 dB SPL is pretty much the hearing threshold at 30 Hz, but the equal loudness curves are "compressed" close together at low frequecies so that 100 dB SPL at 30 Hz is about 75 phons of loudness (subjectively as loud as 1 kHz at 75 dB SPL).

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #108 of 399
100 dB SPL at 30 Hz is about 75 phons of loudness (subjectively as loud as 1 kHz at 75 dB SPL)
Not sure I understand what you’re saying. 100dB SPL at 30Hz would be roughly the same as 60dB SPL at 1kHz (using the 60 phon contour), which is slightly below the level of average conversation. Not an ideal level for something supposed to be a huge explosion for example, even 75dB isn’t particularly loud in a medium/big cinema.

G

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #109 of 399
Not sure I understand what you’re saying. 100dB SPL at 30Hz would be roughly the same as 60dB SPL at 1kHz (using the 60 phon contour), which is slightly below the level of average conversation. Not an ideal level for something supposed to be a huge explosion for example, even 75dB isn’t particularly loud in a medium/big cinema.

G
Especially at cinemas around me in Atlanta. Some older theaters that specialize in foreign/art movies have older sound systems and aren't participating in some clear loudness wars I've recently encountered with the more expensive screen types (IE Dolby Cinema or IMAX). I don't think I can watch very many blockbusters without getting hearing damage (4 hours of Avatar and my Apple watch was reading 80+dB in the quietest dialog moments).

It's nice that there's "cinema specs" for home audio (as in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos/DTS:X) so that the consumer can set their own preferred sound level. My one subwoofer is more than adequate for filling my listening area: when running my receiver's calibration, it requested me to lower its level pretty low...so I haven't heard any distortions from it, and bass seems as loud and visceral as what a intended explosion would be (it's custom built with high excursion woofer and cabinet tuned for 17Hz). As for LFE, it also seems to do a good job of say adding different crossover bass of a jet going from rear surrounds, height speakers, and mains (which of course is also dictated by the receiver's calibration). Now there are some home theater enthusiasts getting up to 4 subwoofers...going pretty extreme for low distortion and ability to deliver dB at low frequencies.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #110 of 399

G
I think we are using different equal loudness contours. I use the one recommended by International Standards Organization.

Equal-Loudness-Contours.png

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #111 of 399
Soo i made 2 discoverys that might the interesting to others

1. i tried 432hz (430.65 to be specific) vs 440hz tuning
i can hear the very same effect in music tuned down to 430.65hz as i hear in 7.83 monaural beats, everyone should try!!! its way more relaxing while 440hz has some kind of anxienty effect and it "pushes" you
you can read alot about 432hz but (tho for objectivists its mostly esoteric consparicy stuff) and this seems to be "based" on the 8hz earth frequency (the 430.65 is just the more perfect tuning based on 7.83hz)
i read that in summertime the earth frequency shiftes because of temperatures up to 8hz while in winter it goes down to 7.8hz and its quite funny that you can feel the difference in 432hz vs 430.65hz (you can also shift it further down by a few cents which introduce "sedating" effects which makes kinda sense if you believe in the earth frequency) 432hz based on 8hz gives you a kinda uplifting summer vibe in comparision

overall the 7.83hz stuff as i said before has some kind of "normalization" effect on probably every human, since you know it unconsious your whole life as what is "normal"
it really surprised me how much the difference was in these different tunings... specially how worse 440hz sounds in comparision (it gives me high blood pressure too where 432hz/430.65hz does not...) , kinda upset that nearly the whole buisness build on top of 440hz

2. while reading about this i came across this https://mollylarkin.com/earthing-why-even-astronauts-need-to-do-it/ (edit: i havent read the whole article, i just wanted to post a source for the astronauts using 7.83hz in spaceships story), i havent found "facts" that this is really done on spaceships but if its true this really shows the "power" of the earthfrequncy/schumann frequency
there are also a few recent studys on 432hz vs 440hz out there, where rats get higher blood pressure with 440hz and less with 432hz

i listened to 432/430.65 hz the last days and the effect in comparision is kinda scary to be honest, while 440hz gives you a very uplifting feeling (which might be the reason its so popular) the 432hz/430.65hz "grounds" you in a very relaxing/normalizing way, whoever feels the effects of binaural/monaural beats should really try it imo

if you are using linux you can easly pitchshift all audio coming from your computer with "EasyEffects" it has a pitchshift plugin, best settings i found so far without losing much soundquality are (High Quality, Preserved, Crisp, Compound, Independent), -37 cents for a close to 430.65hz tuning and -32 cents for close to 432hz
it doesnt perfectly preserve the sound quality, but its kinda close with the settings (you hear on some long tones accousionally that the volume is reduced even if it shouldnt tho)
another option would be to edit your music files, i guess the most perfect sound quality preserving thing todo is to "stretch" the songs by a few seconds so all frequencys get shifted down, tho i havent tried this yet

well think im crazy but i truly believe in this after trying it and also liking the normalizing 7.83hz effect beforehand, tho some of you will "debunk" it again i guess, i mostly posted this for people who feel the negative effects on everyday music to maybe help them like it helps me

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #112 of 399
About the link:deadhorse:
The first Astronauts in space for long periods experienced what was called “space sickness” – nausea and disorientation.

The cause was a mystery until one scientist, Prof. Winfried Schumann, theorized it was because the astronauts, upon leaving the earth’s atmosphere, were deprived of the earth’s “song” or electromagnetic resonance.

The next space mission to leave earth had an instrument in it to emit 7.83 hz [hertz], the average frequency of the earths EMF.

The result? No more space sickness.

The frequency of 7.83 hz is now called the “Schumann resonance” and all modern spacecrafts are said to contain a device which simulates it.

What a marvel of pseudoscience.
1/ Space sickness is about the contradicting experience of senses relating to movement. It has no relation whatsoever with the planet's resonance.
2/ Beside going to the moon which was too short to draw any sort of conclusion about anything like that, all the other space dudes remained well within the earth's magnetic field (the space station is only 400 km from the ground).
3/ Because of this, obviously there was no need for spaceships with "an instrument in it to emit 7.83Hz". So I'm betting on BS for that one, and so is the fake result of the experiments in space that didn't happen.

There is some curiosity about this among so many other issues for long duration flights (like Mars or longer Moon trips), but obviously that has yet to happen, so Molly needs to put down the shrooms because she's talking about a conclusion that, in the best case scenario, comes from the future.
The Schumann's resonance is a thing, that much is true. Although the EMF on earth is not the same everywhere, and even that resonance is kind of right as a generalization only. As for possible impacts on us or animals, there seems to be some truth to it, but small stuff and nowhere near what the "article" described.

I also do not know if I'm ready to jump from conclusions about EMF to ideas about sound wave just because they're both waves and both can be set at some frequency.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #113 of 399
1/ Space sickness is about the contradicting experience of senses relating to movement. It has no relation whatsoever with the planet's resonance.
this and the schumann frequency might be two unrelated things at work, tho i (we) probably just guess here
but it kinda makes sense that non gravity has a influence on our "balance-organ",
from what i expierenced the schumann frequency mostly affects "mental health" i would say

2/ Beside going to the moon which was too short to draw any sort of conclusion about anything like that, all the other space dudes remained well within the earth's magnetic field (the space station is only 400 km from the ground).
let me do i quick search, i read something about the schumann frequency bouncing around the atmostphere around just 60km upwards from the surface
edit: this was the link i read this https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/gallery/schumann-resonance.html , coincidently even nasa reports about this, tho i also wonder why this isnt "common knowledge" if the impact of no schumann frequency in space makes a difference

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #114 of 399
this and the schumann frequency might be two unrelated things at work, tho i (we) probably just guess here
but it kinda makes sense that non gravity has a influence on our "balance-organ",
from what i expierenced the schumann frequency mostly affects "mental health" i would say
What's a more likely/heavy influence as to us feeling disoriented and unbalanced in space: our vestibular system not working normally due to the lack of gravity.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #115 of 399
If the Schumann Frequency beneficially affects mental health, we should install it in all computers connected to the internet. It might prevent a lot of over the line behavior in in Internet forums.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #116 of 399
What's a more likely/heavy influence as to us feeling disoriented and unbalanced in space: our vestibular system not working normally due to the lack of gravity.
thats what i meant with this:

tho the benefits of schumann frequency might be unrelated to this "physical" sickness

If the Schumann Frequency beneficially affects mental health, we should install it in all computers connected to the internet. It might prevent a lot of over the line behavior in in Internet forums.
maybe, atleast you can try it for yourself :)

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #117 of 399
I’ll try it if I become mentally ill.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #118 of 399
thats what i meant with this:

tho the benefits of schumann frequency might be unrelated to this "physical" sickness

maybe, atleast you can try it for yourself :)
Well we have two inner ears (that each have a 3 axis system of hair cells that all help to let us determine what is up and level). It isn't one organ. Our brain also processes visual stimuli to further form an impression of how our heads are oriented/where we are. Our vestibular not working the way we developed, along with all sorts of visual orientations are the main factors for space sickness. Astronauts have other issues with their health during extended periods of being in weightless space (their muscle and bone density starts to reduce: they try to compensate some by increasing exercise). Your first link is more pseudoscience. Your NASA link says it's a back up for historical purposes on what was then thought as accurate. Further still, the NASA link is saying Schumann resonance might amplify weather or frequencies in the atmosphere (nothing about the human body).

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #119 of 399
let me do i quick search, i read something about the schumann frequency bouncing around the atmostphere around just 60km upwards from the surface
edit: this was the link i read this https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/gallery/schumann-resonance.html , coincidently even nasa reports about this, tho i also wonder why this isnt "common knowledge" if the impact of no schumann frequency in space makes a difference
Then I guess was wrong about that and the distance of "effect". I hope it doesn't make anybody think that because I'm wrong, the article is then right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back