First "audiophile" set-up
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Baumpower

New Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations to narrow down the huge variety of headphones, amps, DACs etc. on the market to build my first set-up. Currently alternate the Sony WH-1000XM2 and the Klipsch T5 earbuds depending on what I'm doing....usually working out or lawn/outdoor work. I find the sound of either to be acceptable for those applications, but that's about it. To me, the Sony's are a bit muddy/boomy and the Klipsch on the thin side of things. Source material would vary quite a but, but mostly rock/prog rock, jazz and ambient. Usually good recordings.

I'd like my next purchase to be used while either sitting at my desk or on a lounger so obviously more serious listening. Max budget would be $2k, all in. Your recommendations?

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 11
More parameters will help tailor the choices.

Do you want open-back or closed-back headphones, or do you want IEMs?
How portable do you want the whole rig to be?
What kind of music are you listening to?

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 11
I noted the music - rock/prog rock, some jazz and ambient.

Open or Closed Back is fine - goal is best performance for the $$
Portable enough to move to a different location in the house. I have a desk/stand I can use for the amp, dac (or combo.) I will continue to use the Sony or Klipsch for travel.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Hifiman Arya (whichever version you want) with Topping DX5. That's one of about 30 options. Schiit stacks or all-in-ones work for a source as well. Focal Clears are solid headphones too. There is a massive number of combos under $2k. Find stuff you like, do some research, get it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, I'm very contented with a combo way under your budget.

ATH-R70X open-back, unbelievably comfortable, very natural sound for acoustic jazz and ambient, transparent and spacious to sort out prog-rock intricacy, plenty of low end when called for. About $350, a little less if Thomann is in your country.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

They get better with an amp. I use the powerful but no-frills VE Megatron DAC/Amp: no display, no volume control (you control the volume from your computer/phone), runs on USB power from phone or computer so you need a USB output.

It's all of $56 (not a typo) shipped to the USA.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

Schiit, JDS Labs, Topping, FiiO or SMSL amps would also do the job if you want an amp with a volume control. And do look in the Head-Fi Classifieds, where there's a lot of traffic in amps.

There are many reviews of both ATH-R70X and VE Megatron here on Head-Fi and elsewhere.

Do think about weight and comfort with full-sized headphones. It's not worth putting up with headaches from clamping force or neck aches from weight to get some minuscule sonic improvement.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah I can see why you'd feel overwhelmed with options!

Unfortunately you really won't know what you'll like until you hear it. My general advice would be to get a setup with an easy return policy and maybe have a backup from the same retailer option in case it doesn't work out. Then you'll be able to navigate the options a little better. You'll know if you want a warmer sound, a more dynamic sound, a more detailed sound, etc.

The Arya is an excellent suggestion, though a little too artificial and sharp for me personally. The OG focal clear would be a good option too, but hard to find new. The Auteur Classic is my favorite all-rounder of all time, but ZMF has fairly long wait times, and a return policy that's a little heavy with return fees if it doesn't work out. Those would be my top 3 choices at a real sweet spot in bang-for-buck.

For the DAC/amp, something like a Topping DX5 will be good, but I would definitely base your amp, at least partially, on what headphones you want. There's not really a one-size-fits-all, at least not in my experience. A lot comes down to impedance matching, power requirements, amps/dacs leaning warm or bright, etc. You'll want something that complements the headphones best. For example, if you go the Arya route, Hifiman's own EF400 or EF600 would be excellent pairings. If you get a Clear, something a little warm-leaning, like the Schiit Lyr or Jotunheim would be best, and the Auteur loved tubes. Anything OTL will complement them perfectly, though they're fine with most recommended amps on the market today.

Hope this helps a little!

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 11
The best value for money is an Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter and 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 if IEMs are an option for portability. For headphones the Hifiman Arya Stealth in open box from Hifiman and the warranty extends to 18 months if you like them on Facebook. The Topping E50/L50 is excellent or the Topping DL200 which I've got will power those well for $189 and looks nice too. I have the HE5xx too and they're comfort kings and well worth the price (especially used, you can steal them). If warranty is important, get a new pair of Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X which I really like, well worth the price. If your credit card double warranties on the first year, then you're really set with peace of mind. All you need is the Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter for those to sound great.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 11
Yeah I can see why you'd feel overwhelmed with options!

Unfortunately you really won't know what you'll like until you hear it. My general advice would be to get a setup with an easy return policy and maybe have a backup from the same retailer option in case it doesn't work out. Then you'll be able to navigate the options a little better. You'll know if you want a warmer sound, a more dynamic sound, a more detailed sound, etc.

The Arya is an excellent suggestion, though a little too artificial and sharp for me personally. The OG focal clear would be a good option too, but hard to find new. The Auteur Classic is my favorite all-rounder of all time, but ZMF has fairly long wait times, and a return policy that's a little heavy with return fees if it doesn't work out. Those would be my top 3 choices at a real sweet spot in bang-for-buck.

For the DAC/amp, something like a Topping DX5 will be good, but I would definitely base your amp, at least partially, on what headphones you want. There's not really a one-size-fits-all, at least not in my experience. A lot comes down to impedance matching, power requirements, amps/dacs leaning warm or bright, etc. You'll want something that complements the headphones best. For example, if you go the Arya route, Hifiman's own EF400 or EF600 would be excellent pairings. If you get a Clear, something a little warm-leaning, like the Schiit Lyr or Jotunheim would be best, and the Auteur loved tubes. Anything OTL will complement them perfectly, though they're fine with most recommended amps on the market today.

Hope this helps a little!
Headphones.com sells OG clears for $890. Schiit Bifrost DAC for $799 and a Schiit Midgard for $219. That gets you in under $2k with a great setup. The amp you could upgrade later. You can find Bifrost and clears used pretty often.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 11
I’d also add that if you add ZMF sheepskin perforated pads to the OG Clears it makes the treble less intense and provides more soundstage. I found that this made my clears work with a wider range of amplifiers. Not to mention if you choose to later sell the clears, you’ll have clean original ear pads if you swap them out and save them. The light grey pads that come stock get gross looking over time. A headband protector will also keep the headband clean in case you want to sell it later too.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 11
I’d also add that if you add ZMF sheepskin perforated pads to the OG Clears it makes the treble less intense and provides more soundstage. I found that this made my clears work with a wider range of amplifiers. Not to mention if you choose to later sell the clears, you’ll have clean original ear pads if you swap them out and save them. The light grey pads that come stock get gross looking over time. A headband protector will also keep the headband clean in case you want to sell it later too.
I’ve been thinking of getting a Clear, so this is super good to know! Not to detail the thread, but have you compared the ZMF pads with the Dekoni elite sheepskin ones?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 11
I’ve been binning of getting a Clear, so this is super good to know! Not to detail the thread, but have you compared the ZMF pads with the Dekoni elite sheepskin ones?
I have not. I have compared them to the dekoni velour pads. The ZMF pads are much deeper and push the drivers further from your ears. I think that has the biggest effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back