Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 13, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #4,921 of 4,924
It's nerve-wracking.
Hahaha, that's how I felt after replacing mine. If my wife didn't assist me in holding the cups, it would be even more nerve-wracking for me. :)
But Jose said that after a few changes, you can get a grip, and it will be a smoother job.

So you are on your second change...it should be a bit easier. :)

May 13, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #4,922 of 4,924
Well I got the day off today from work so….

Swapped out the “H” Pads finally and returned to the “F” pads for a delightful and extended listening time.
Main characteristics for the “F” pads is that they highlight what makes the D-8000 sound unique. The F pads give more thump and slam in the bass. The mid range is more forward sounding than the H pads. The H pads make the D-8000 sound wider with more refined upper registers including aspects of the treble. The F pads give a deeper, more cavernous sound than the H-pads. Overall. One experience isn’t better than the other. Pads usually come down to tuning preferences. Not a better or worse scenario. It is about what you like and right now I’m really digging the F pads. Definitely have more respect for why these are labeled as the stock pads for the D-8000. The Final Audio team has a great engineering mind set and the fact that you can roll 3 different pads with the D-8000 and get terrific tuning results either way is just amazing.
I’m gonna leave the F pads on for a couple weeks and just enjoy what I’m hearing. 🤑
Then go to the G-pads.

Attachments

• IMG_8026.jpeg
    IMG_8026.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 13, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #4,923 of 4,924
FWIW, I found replacing my D8K's F pads with G pads was the most difficult pad swap I ever did. That's for two reason (the first is weird):
  1. These earpads have the foam inner ring kind of loosely rolled into the pad's fabric, the dimensions of which seem wider than usual. Jostling & stretching the pads (as one has to do) can de-center the foam ring, so that the entire pad warps
  2. The amt of thin polyester pad fabric that goes behind that metal guide is more than any other pad I've seen, probably 1/2" to 3/4" of fabric. So the pad, once installed, can be moved around and too readily repositioned against the earcup. Given that the damping system of the D8K utilizes the entire earpad, fabric and foam alike, this imprecision is kind of alarming. I ended up quite unsure I had the pads just so against the earpads.
It's nerve-wracking. I'm looking forward to hearing the H pads, but kind of dreading installing them (and I've installed pads dozens of times on other headphones).
I assure you my friend. It is not difficult. The H pads are actually the easiest to install because of their thicker and denser material.
They also don’t have that hard outer ring to support the seal/positioning like both the G and F pads.
H pads offer a nice alternative tuning. I think you’ll appreciate them.

May 13, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #4,924 of 4,924
Hahaha, that's how I felt after replacing mine. If my wife didn't assist me in holding the cups, it would be even more nerve-wracking for me. :)
But Jose said that after a few changes, you can get a grip, and it will be a smoother job.

So you are on your second change...it should be a bit easier. :)
You got your wife to help you? Oh come on. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back