FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
Dec 20, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #406 of 431
Yeah. Same balanced. I was just saying the poor measurements may have been addressed by the new module.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #407 of 431
Yeah. Same balanced. I was just saying the poor measurements may have been addressed by the new module.
I doubt it. FiiO has been asked many times by myself and others to comment or even acknowledge the issue. They have ignored every attempt. That doesn't bode well or instill confidence. Hopefully I am wrong, I have been a fan of FiiO for years and have purchased and recommended their gear. It is disappointing that rather than address things in a constructive way publicly they simply ignore them waiting for them to go away.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #408 of 431
I doubt it. FiiO has been asked many times by myself and others to comment or even acknowledge the issue. They have ignored every attempt. That doesn't bode well or instill confidence. Hopefully I am wrong, I have been a fan of FiiO for years and have purchased and recommended their gear. It is disappointing that rather than address things in a constructive way publicly they simply ignore them waiting for them to go away.
That is disappointing, I agree. I have ordered the TC version actually. It will be my first Fiio gear. Hopefully the company responds in a way we all expect it to.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #409 of 431
That is disappointing, I agree. I have ordered the TC version actually. It will be my first Fiio gear. Hopefully the company responds in a way we all expect it to.
You will like the FiiO gear. Despite having issues in measurable ways I found the Q5s and AM3D combination to sound quite good. I just want to push FiiO to do better. Topping, Gustard and SMSL have all been killing it with making great sounding and measuring gear. No reason that FiiO can't do the same. And sometimes they do, some of their gear has measured well, others, not so well. Still a FiiO fan, just tired of them ignoring customer posts/questions unless they are compliments.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #410 of 431
ASR measured the 2.5mm with micro usb version of the AM3D. There is now the 4.4mm type-c version. It comes bundled with the Q5S. It's called the Q5S-TC.
Balanced is balanced, it doesn't matter if it was the 2.5 or 4.4 balanced out of the AM3D module, it measured quite a bit worse than it should have. It still sounds quite good, but from an engineering perspective clearly there was some issues.

The AM3D has two outputs, 3.5mm unbalanced and 4.4 balanced.

No 2.5...

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #411 of 431
The AM3D has two outputs, 3.5mm unbalanced and 4.4 balanced.

No 2.5...
I know, I owned it, I mistyped. The AM3E has the 2.5 balanced. I still have that module with a normal Q5.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #412 of 431
Checked out the fuss on audiosciencereview.

Didn't really put a dent on my liking the X7II+AM3D. :innocent:

Dec 26, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #413 of 431
Checked out the fuss on audiosciencereview.

Didn't really put a dent on my liking the X7II+AM3D. :innocent:
Nor mine, I still enjoy my old Q5, but that doesn't change the fact that FiiO had some significant issues that could easily be rectified through better engineering and testing. That doesn't mean that the AM3D wasn't a good sounding amp module, it was, but given that other companies are knocking it out of the park technically and for affordable prices I have no doubt that FiiO can also do this. As I always say, I am a long time FiiO fan, but I want them to be looking to up their game just like Schiit has done. Don't dismiss the ASR fuss, it matters and it makes companies do better work which should make you grateful as the gear you will be buying in the future might be better designed becuase companies know that places like ASR will expose them to scrutiny.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #415 of 431
As far as I know, FiiO is still the only company to utilize THX in a DAP/portable DAC/Amp.
Comparable technical achievements in small DACs and desktop amps are valid. The issues identified with the AM3D were not explainable due to the size of the device. My bet is that FiiO will improve their testing and engineering based on the ASR critiques.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #416 of 431
As far as I know, FiiO is still the only company to utilize THX in a DAP/portable DAC/Amp.
The Monolith THX AAA 78 portable too.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #418 of 431
Forgot about that one.
Even the Monolith did not measure well on ASR. Mine (which I bought used) only lasts for about 2hours straight before its battery dies. But it charges for at least 6 hours.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #420 of 431
Anyone has am3d for sell hit me up , I'll be getting a fiio x7mkii soon
You may want to read the results from testing the Q5s and AM3D. Sadly the results were quite poor and FiiO has never once responded publicly to questions about what happened. And it wasn't a faulty unit. Not sure what to say.

I am a big FiiO fan, really want them to do well and that is why I keep at them publicly to account for the very questionable engineering issues the testing revealed. I hope that much how Schiit was called out by the same audio testing site/community linked here I hope that FiiO responds the same way. Schiit pulled up their socks and started producing significantly better engineered products which is to their credit. FiiO I hope will do the same.

Read the review and decide if you feel the AM3D is going to be the answer that you hope it will.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-portable-dac-thx-headphone-amp-review.15105/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back