Elekit 300B Amp kit
Jul 30, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #301 of 369
People don’t know much about Elekit, because it is DIY and also not heavily advertised

However, I can tell when there are great performances as I have been in this hobby long enough.

The Elekit when done right can be A very very expensive performers. In one of the review from the kit, there was a quote that this is comparable to a $20,000 amp. But I honestly think that it can even be comparable to a much more expensive than that

Listening to this combo this morning and HD800S, not only the sound stage is so vivid and huge, but the details, timbres, extensions, and acoustic cues are superb! Goose bumps providing performances
E019C40F-CB26-4641-90E5-30D85B1A293A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #302 of 369
People don’t know much about Elekit, because it is DIY and also not heavily advertised

However, I can tell when there are great performances as I have been in this hobby long enough.

The Elekit when done right can be A very very expensive performers. In one of the review from the kit, there was a quote that this is comparable to a $20,000 amp. But I honestly think that it can even be comparable to a much more expensive than that

Listening to this combo this morning and HD800S, not only the sound stage is so vivid and huge, but the details, timbres, extensions, and acoustic cues are superb! Goose bumps providing performances
E019C40F-CB26-4641-90E5-30D85B1A293A.jpeg
I have the TU-8600S version and couldn’t agree more in terms of quality build and value for your money. The Elekits with cap/resistor upgrades exceed my expectations and it is more elegant build IMO. Well thought out using PCB instead of point to point wiring and made to high standards.

If you want to build one of these VKMusic in Canada should be your only source if you live in North America. You will not get your kit cheaper (Victor is the supplier for North America and sells to other dealers) and his prices are fair for upgrades/tubes, etc. His customer service is top notch and ships extremely fast, as in next day. Great experience all around.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #304 of 369
Linlai WE300B vs Linlai WE2A3:

Given that the TU8900 errs on the dry side of things, I went with the WE series from Linali over the Elite series for both 300B and 2A3. So take this comparison for how the 300B and the 2A3 compare on the 8900 only.

The 300B comes across as being more macro tilted relative to the more linear and nuanced sounding 2A3. The 300B hits harder with more weight in the bass, is warmer in the mids and smoother in the overall treble. While the 2A3 is not as warm in the midrange, it seems more filled out in the notes, so it sounds denser and bolder. While it is the brighter and the less forgiving between the two, it is also the more transparent and resolving valve. It retrieves more micro information and shows differences between albums and sources more easily. Overall, the 2A3 pulls off the spooky realism better than the 300B.

On the presentation and stage side of things, 300B throws a larger stage and has a grander overall presentation. But the depth and layering capabilities of both the valves are in the same ball park. The 2A3 however images more precisely in the stage. For OSTs, where I don’t mind giving up a bit of timbral realism for a grander presentation, 300B + HD800 combo is quite a treat. But then with the 580 and 650, which have become my daily drivers, I seem to be reaching for the 2A3 more.

On the speaker front, I don’t have any 2A3 friendly speakers, so the 300B has been the winner there, just because of its greater output power and greater macro performance. But I can’t wait to get hold of some 2A3 friendly speakers to see if it can dethrone the 300B.

Aug 6, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #305 of 369
Linlai WE300B vs Linlai WE2A3:

Given that the TU8900 errs on the dry side of things, I went with the WE series from Linali over the Elite series for both 300B and 2A3. So take this comparison for how the 300B and the 2A3 compare on the 8900 only.

The 300B comes across as being more macro tilted relative to the more linear and nuanced sounding 2A3. The 300B hits harder with more weight in the bass, is warmer in the mids and smoother in the overall treble. While the 2A3 is not as warm in the midrange, it seems more filled out in the notes, so it sounds denser and bolder. While it is the brighter and the less forgiving between the two, it is also the more transparent and resolving valve. It retrieves more micro information and shows differences between albums and sources more easily. Overall, the 2A3 pulls off the spooky realism better than the 300B.

On the presentation and stage side of things, 300B throws a larger stage and has a grander overall presentation. But the depth and layering capabilities of both the valves are in the same ball park. The 2A3 however images more precisely in the stage. For OSTs, where I don’t mind giving up a bit of timbral realism for a grander presentation, 300B + HD800 combo is quite a treat. But then with the 580 and 650, which have become my daily drivers, I seem to be reaching for the 2A3 more.

On the speaker front, I don’t have any 2A3 friendly speakers, so the 300B has been the winner there, just because of its greater output power and greater macro performance. But I can’t wait to get hold of some 2A3 friendly speakers to see if it can dethrone the 300B.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this. Just out of curiosity, what speakers are you currently running? I felt that full range speakers (no crossover) paired really well with the 2A3s and other lower output DHTs (45, 71A ect).

I tried a few other high efficiency setups despite some having efficiency ratings above 97db, I always felt like they benefited from the extra juice of the 300Bs. My old pair of Coherents with Radian drivers were the same way. They sounded pretty good with the 2A3s but relatively "flat" dynamic wise without the nuance and microdetail I was hearing from even modest headphones (HD580, 650 ect.). With Omegas or Lowthers, I never had any desire to put 300Bs back in.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #306 of 369
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this. Just out of curiosity, what speakers are you currently running? I felt that full range speakers (no crossover) paired really well with the 2A3s and other lower output DHTs (45, 71A ect).

I tried a few other high efficiency setups despite some having efficiency ratings above 97db, I always felt like they benefited from the extra juice of the 300Bs. My old pair of Coherents with Radian drivers were the same way. They sounded pretty good with the 2A3s but relatively "flat" dynamic wise without the nuance and microdetail I was hearing from even modest headphones (HD580, 650 ect.). With Omegas or Lowthers, I never had any desire to put 300Bs back in.

Yep, can totally relate to that. I am currently running a pair of Lii F15 (no crossovers). While its not bad in the micro dept, its forte are dynamics, macro swings and scale. The 2A3 makes the drivers sound like a regular bookshelf. It works better off the 300B, but gets even better with 25W or so. So the plan is to get a push pull pentode amp for the F15 and a set of speakers that would work better with 2A3s. But the plan is on hold right now for a couple of reasons. I would have liked to go for a pair of Omega, if those were available here. I will look into the Lowthers. I’ve been avoiding those, as I’ve heard those can be bright and shouty.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #307 of 369
Thought this was pretty baller. Someone had custom OPTs made for the 8900 with Finemet cores and OCC silver windings. Probably sounds amazing but I'd hate to see the price and weight on those anvils.

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #308 of 369
Thought this was pretty baller. Someone had custom OPTs made for the 8900 with Finemet cores and OCC silver windings. Probably sounds amazing but I'd hate to see the price and weight on those anvils.

There was extensive studies and measurements done about all silver vs copper to the secondary being silver. The copper to the secondary being silver is just as good! And obviously less expensive.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #309 of 369
There was extensive studies and measurements done about all silver vs copper to the secondary being silver. The copper to the secondary being silver is just as good! And obviously less expensive.
I think it might have been silver in the secondaries that supposedly made a bigger difference. At least from the literature I’ve read.

Either way, quite a few have had different subjective impressions despite measurements saying otherwise.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #310 of 369

Baller, but surely nutty. So much effort into transformer loading, when I'd bet switching to a parafeed design would bring better improvements.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #311 of 369
I think it might have been silver in the secondaries that supposedly made a bigger difference. At least from the literature I’ve read.

Either way, quite a few have had different subjective impressions despite measurements saying otherwise.
I would think all silver would be just a bit better.

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #313 of 369
I think nutty is just intrinsic to the hobby. Would have probably stopped with a nice OTL and high Z Senn if I had all my marbles.

Oh, absolutely. But I'd like to think you can direct the nuttiness. Making a stupid expensive air-gapped transformer to be a tube load just seems silly, when you could have a much better parafeed transformer for less money.

On a related topic, I recently put forward my best argument to Bottlehead to make a DHT amp specifically for headphones. Didn't seem like there was much interest, which I think is a big shame. There's a lot to love about the Elekit, but I still have an inescapable feeling that forgoing the speaker outs, and designing specifically for headphones, would yield a much better product for Head-Fi'ers.

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #314 of 369
On a related topic, I recently put forward my best argument to Bottlehead to make a DHT amp specifically for headphones. Didn't seem like there was much interest,

Fyi Bottlehead used to support conversion of their battery powered dht Quickie preamp (kit no longer available but very simple circuit) for headphone use. There used to be a how to thread if I remember correctly it was around the $150-$200 to build the kit and then convert it I know there were also a few who liked it well enough to build hot rodded versions with more premium parts and linear power supplies using Rod Colman filament Regulators.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #315 of 369
Oh, absolutely. But I'd like to think you can direct the nuttiness. Making a stupid expensive air-gapped transformer to be a tube load just seems silly, when you could have a much better parafeed transformer for less money.

On a related topic, I recently put forward my best argument to Bottlehead to make a DHT amp specifically for headphones. Didn't seem like there was much interest, which I think is a big shame. There's a lot to love about the Elekit, but I still have an inescapable feeling that forgoing the speaker outs, and designing specifically for headphones, would yield a much better product for Head-Fi'ers.
Maybe. Not sure what he planned to accomplish with the upgrade but perhaps he was chasing a certain type of sound and not necessarily a better performing amp on paper. Personally, if I had the means to afford iron like that, I’d just have an amp built from the ground up to maximize their potential but….that’s just me.

It wouldn’t surprise me that building exclusively around headphones would have potentially made the 8900 sound “better” (for headphones). But I personally feel that it incidentally beats out a lot of other headphone only amps despite being designed primarily for speakers.

I think you may just have a different design philosophy. Just curious, what would you consider to be the best “reference” headphone amp you’ve heard so far? Sounds like you might prefer something like a T4 (parafeed hybrid) amp by ECP audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back