Dekoni x Hifiman Cobalt
Jul 2, 2023 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

skeeb23

100+ Head-Fier
I was surprised I didn't see a thread started on this headphone yet. I bought mine right at CanJam Chicago after listening to both pad options. My wife, Bri, loved the vocal presence of the leather perforated pads! It was a quick and easy buy for me at the show to get more time with them at home. I'll be doing a review of them next week but still spending more time listening. I'm also seeing if there is any break-in period for the sound before finalizing my thoughts.

So far, I must say, these dynamic drivers sure give off some planar details. I can definitely hear the Hifiman influence of this headphone. I can't wait to see what Sam/Dylan of Dekoni do to further modify this headphone and sound.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this from any others out there!

1688314913950.png

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 25
I should be getting a pair soon to review for a publication - should be interesting as I love HiFiMAN planars but am curious about this dynamic closed back from them.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 25
I should be getting a pair soon to review for a publication - should be interesting as I love HiFiMAN planars but am curious about this dynamic closed back from them.
Nice!

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 25
Okay so I’m either buying these, or the Focal Elegias. I want to try something different. I’m leaning toward the Elegia because it’s a known, if controversial, quantity… but the Cobalts are tempting me… a lot. If either of you would like to nudge me in a particular direction… I’d definitely appreciate the help.

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 25
Okay so I’m either buying these, or the Focal Elegias. I want to try something different. I’m leaning toward the Elegia because it’s a known, if controversial, quantity… but the Cobalts are tempting me… a lot. If either of you would like to nudge me in a particular direction… I’d definitely appreciate the help.
Well...my video review of the Cobalt is releasing tomorrow at 10am ET. It's possible my video may help you decide if it would be right for you or not! I'll try to post a short write up on it as well when I have some time, but that will be after the video goes live.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 25
Of course! I'd be happy to answer any questions afterwards if I didn't cover in the video.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 25
This looks a lot like the Drop + Hifiman HE-R7DX, but with new pads and a headband from the Edition XS or HE-R9DX. Maybe you could do a comparison to those, as I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same driver given that they look so similar and are both closed back Hifimans with dynamic drivers. I remember people originally complaining that the lack of clamp force was the main issue with the HE-R7DX's. In fact, people would mod them by just bending the headband. So I'd imagine the different headband is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in making it better.

If you wanted to do some investigation, you could actually swap the headbands between the Cobalt's and the HE-R7DX and see how that changes the sound. I own a pair of HE-R7DX with an HE-R9DX headband, the screws come off real easy with a flathead screwdriver and you don't have to open up the cans.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 25
This looks a lot like the Drop + Hifiman HE-R7DX, but with new pads and a headband from the Edition XS or HE-R9DX. Maybe you could do a comparison to those, as I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same driver given that they look so similar and are both closed back Hifimans with dynamic drivers. I remember people originally complaining that the lack of clamp force was the main issue with the HE-R7DX's. In fact, people would mod them by just bending the headband. So I'd imagine the different headband is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in making it better.

If you wanted to do some investigation, you could actually swap the headbands between the Cobalt's and the HE-R7DX and see how that changes the sound. I own a pair of HE-R7DX with an HE-R9DX headband, the screws come off real easy with a flathead screwdriver and you don't have to open up the cans.
Interesting. I'll see if I can look into it. Definitely same cups by the look of it. I know Dylan at Dekoni was the engineer behind tuning the Cobalt. Could be similar driver with his personal touch to the tuning.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 25
Updated video incoming, sorry for the extra post!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 25

I typically try not to quote other reviewers, but after you mentioned this I went and tried to do some research. According to Zeos, this is a bespoke driver that Hifiman abandoned and Dekoni scooped up the stock of it to make their own. So it is a different driver. I also watched further in his video as he had both headphones next to each other to compare.
I also remember Dekoni speaking at CanJam in Chicago this very same thing now that I think about it. I believe this driver is 45mm and the R7DX is 50mm. So that alone is a difference and the coating on the driver is also different. They've been working on the Cobalt a while now to get the tuning better for most. I really think the inserts they come up with could be a game changer for the bass response though. I'll definitely follow up when that happens!

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 25
I’ve decided on the Elegias. If I end up hating them, I will send them back and order the Cobalts. I really appreciate your review - your video was great! I think that I’d like to see some more evolution of mods for the Cobalt before I jump in. The inserts you referenced were recently seen and discussed on (love him or hate him lol) Z Reviews. They seemed to make a world of difference. At least to him. The Elegias are almost gone from the world (at least new in box), so I’m going to grab them before they disappear.
I will say one thing though- I’m definitely a fan and I’ll look forward to watching more videos from you. You’ve got a great down-to-earth approach that is easily digestible, while maintaining the technical chops required for these reviews. Thanks again!
-Chris

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 25
Also just ordered Dekoni Custom pads from Amazon Japan after reading a number of customer reviews regarding their ability to both increase bass and width of soundstage. Sounds like a good $75 investment as the Elegias cost me just under $400. With around 32 ohms of impedance, I’m expecting my Fiio btr7 and Ifi hip-dac2 should have no problem powering them. I hope so because I’m actually cutting myself off for any additional HiFi purchases for the next 6 months! Jeez this stuff is addictive! 🤪

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 25
Soooo far off topic. Sorry.
Haha, you're good! I'll be posting my updated video later on so it'll get back to topic.
Glad you decided on something and curious to know how you like them once you receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back