D2 'Boa' / 'Viper'
Mar 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
D2 Viper:
Quote:

Heralded for its opamp customization options and good price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio, the D2 Viper was among the first wave of miniature DAC/AMP combos, competing with the HeadAmp Pico and Ray Samuels Predator among others for half the price

later it was replaced by more compact D2 Boa:
Quote:

Shortly after a run of 200 D2 Vipers, the D2 was replaced by the D2 Boa, a slightly smaller device which could be powered or charged through the USB connection as well as a separate AC/DC power supply.

There is a comparison review also:
D2 viper vs D2 Boa Review

Let me paste it anyway from lowyat forum:
Quote:

I m lucky enuf to have 2 unit of D2 with me, here's the impression on both.
D2 viper is fully run in and D2 Boa runned around 20 hours, Thus the sound can be alot more better after fully run in
just to give the technical differences, D2 viper is charged through Ac but D2 Boa is charged through USB, thus D2 Boa is double efficiency on power saving

Ruthie Henshall - Songbird (795k)
D2 boa have clearly better separation on the special 2 layer vocal of the songs. but due to short period of burn in, the vocal still abit rough, i m sure that it will goes well after run in, but i found that it give more power to the piano. it is more lively. As for D2 viper, it have smoothen sound, but less response on low frequency, when the songs going to end, the separation on viper seens to be abit mixed. i m very impressed by D2 Boa on this songs as it have less electric input, but even strong on low frequency response, with better separation on this songs.

Elissa Lee Koljonen - O mio Babbino caro
D2 viper having warmer singatuer, D2 Boa has brighter signature at this moment, it might due to run in hours as it is only 20 hours now. In this songs, D2 viper having smoothen sound, which give better feels as for the warm enjoyment feelings, D2 Boa give better thickness on instrument, but abit harsh due to its bright, with the enhanced separations, it give you lively and involved feels and thus less on Relax sound. I prefer the Viper here, as for warmer sounds

Diana Krall - I've Changed my address
In my opinion. this song is extremely hard to tune, D2 Boa more aggressive signature which compare to Viper Layback. both 2 are not to the extreme, but just no minor position differences, it is not like Grado vs Sennheiser . There is some instrument solo at the middle on the songs, D2 Boa clearly wins on the this parts as for its aggressive, separated sound, the instrument sound more accurate, however, viper giving more transparent feels, as for more relax feels as for the layback signatures, but slightly slow in the response make it sound abit lag. I can concluded that, it have different feels on both, there is not clear winner on this songs

Jim Keltner & Ron tutt - Drum Improvisation
D2 Boa is a clear winner here, it have better speed, and deeper in drum impacts, D2 viper sounded like a sleeping drum, which give me unexcited feels on the drum, unlike D2 Boa, with the better separations, u can clearly feels the differences on the strength that the drummer had, The speed is more accurate without any delayed, and you can feels the shape of the drum.

Karen Kong - Li Dao
D2 Boa have thicker vocal, but D2 viper had better vocal response, i assume D2 boa will have the same response after burn in, with more pounchy sound. D2 Viper give better control on high but less extension. I will not concluded which is bettter here, as this is more towards a balances songs, with no extreme here.

The Spirit of Gambo - Martin Minoit au Marche
The performance on this songs is quite similar, this might due to the limitation on my headphone as i clearly understand that HD580 do not performed well on high frequency, i canot define well on this songs, just that, the extension on viper is more control, but Boa go further high when compare to viper, this might arise as for brighter sound for unfinished burned in.

Chloe - Vincent ( Live version)
D2 Boa is a clear winner here, the vocal is very refined, even it only have 20 hours of burn in, it present the vocal in better position, not only the thickness of vocal, it is more real, more real, just like what she is singing in front of you, this might constructed by alot of issues, speed, defined, thick and etc. D2 Viper having blurer vocal, D2 Boa is a clear winner here .

F.I.R. - Blue Doors Ahead
D2 Boa having bigger soundstage here, but D2 Viper having clearer presentation on soundstage, personally i prefer D2 viper one even it is abit more narrow, but it give better transparency, which i dont feels any EQ here, but i will think that alot of the users will prefer wider soundstage, i m the extreme here, which i shall not concluded it might affected due to my personal preferences

Finally it reached to the end, i m very impressed on the sound of D2 Boa, even it is not fully runned in, some parts of it have significantly better than D2 viper sweat.gif , but as a D2 viper owner here, i proud to own Viper as well, as it give me good enjoyment. D2 Boa is sold at RM550, with this unbelievable prices, i will think that there is hardly any portable DAC can beat the sound of it with this attractive prices

here come with some pictures

P1020826.jpg

P1020827.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back