Chord Hugo
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #15,646 of 15,694
Somone in local market tried to sell H1 upgrade/Modded (see in the pic)

My question is below as for the detail upgrade

The detail upgrade :

- Type C PD 12v Charging ==> Any downside changing it to usb c ?
- Bluetooth antenna upgrade ==> he said didnot improve range, just more stable, is the default one really that bad ?
- New Battery upgrade (Sony VTC 6 3000MAH 2 CELL - claimed longer than 10 hours) ==> is that true, is that really easy to change the battery ? i checked the sony battery really cheap, just about 5 dollar here brand new/pcs, then why hugo 1 original battery which is worse than sony sold for 12 times or 14 times more expensive by Chord (CMIIW) ?! what's the downside using cheap sony battery here ?
- Capacitor Elna Silmic II 16v 470uF ==> Is this really an improvement over stock ?

The most important question is, he sell it for around 800 dollar, is that worth it to buy, just want general opinion on this ?

Attachments

• type 2.jpg
    type 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • upgrade 1.jpg
    upgrade 1.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #15,647 of 15,694

The detail upgrade :

- Bluetooth antenna upgrade ==> he said didnot improve range, just more stable, is the default one really that bad ?
- New Battery upgrade (Sony VTC 6 3000MAH 2 CELL - claimed longer than 10 hours) ==> is that true, is that really easy to change the battery ? i checked the sony battery really cheap, just about 5 dollar here brand new/pcs, then why hugo 1 original battery which is worse than sony sold for 12 times or 14 times more expensive by Chord (CMIIW) ?! what's the downside using cheap sony battery here ?
- Capacitor Elna Silmic II 16v 470uF ==> Is this really an improvement over stock ?

The most important question is, he sell it for around 800 dollar, is that worth it to buy, just want general opinion on this ?
When the Hugo was first released, there were quite a few posts on forums like Audiophile Style, by owners who modded their Hugos, especially to improve the battery performance (life).
Consequently I am not surprised that you have met a seller with a modded Hugo.

Is it worth it? It sounds like the seller was able to give you a detailed description of the mods, which implies to me that they have taken care of the Hugo, when planning/executing the mods.
In contrast you will be taking a risk that everything still works correctly, and there have been no mistakes with a soldering iron.

I was thinking about buying a Hugo, but opted for the Mojo1, and did not regret the decision.
IMO consider the Mojo2 instead - you will still get great sound quality and it will be cheaper than the Hugo, and without the risk of buying a faulty preowned device.

Of course other posters may think differently.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #15,648 of 15,694

The detail upgrade :

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #15,649 of 15,694
My hugo 2015 still works great

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #15,651 of 15,694
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #15,652 of 15,694

The detail upgrade :

I would value more a stock unit, that has never been moded, than a moded one. Even then $800 sounds overly steep. Look elsewhere. I got it 2nd hand, in 2018, for $750.

Only issue is that eventually stock batteries will die, mine lasted 6 years, after which they must be replaced because the unit is battery powered only.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #15,653 of 15,694
My hugo will never die 🤩

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #15,654 of 15,694
My Hugo died the first time of a faulty volume ball. I got a new volume ball. My Hugo died the second time due to loose connections on the motherboard. I got a new motherboard. My Hugo died a third time when the battery stopped taking a charge. I got new batteries put in.

I still love my Hugo The only thing original now is the case.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #15,655 of 15,694
My Hugo died the first time of a faulty volume ball. I got a new volume ball. My Hugo died the second time due to loose connections on the motherboard. I got a new motherboard. My Hugo died a third time when the battery stopped taking a charge. I got new batteries put in.

I still love my Hugo The only thing original now is the case.
How much the new motherboard cost, where do you get it from may i know?!

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #15,656 of 15,694
Ok fired it up, a-ok. Sounds pretty darn good even through iTunes and my iMac 384 24bit

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #15,657 of 15,694
Motherboard was about $650, installed and tested, at George Meyer.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #15,658 of 15,694
Hi,

Is the first Hugo still competitive in 2023 for around 500-600€ ?

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #15,659 of 15,694
Hi,

Thanks.
Matter of taste. I still use it as my favorite dac. Needs battery replacement at some point as it can not be powered without working batteries (unless moded to do so).

It is a great amp to have around as well, just not as powerful as the average desktop amp these days. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo.19938/

I love to use it as an all in one around the house and garden with my laptop as well as smartphone / tablet.

I would say 500EUR is a fair price for one with old batteries, if one is willing to replace them down the road. I did that myself, 20-40EUR for top quality batteries + some soldering skills, easy peasy.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #15,660 of 15,694
Hi,

Thanks.
A new Mojo 2 is a bit more money and is likely to be preferred and you will avoid the risks and hassle of old batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back