Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Dec 22, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #5,851 of 6,236
I know exactly what you mean, I wanted to purchase the same unit before when Balanced was the "in" thing....let me search again what the name of that device is....
It was Aclear Porta, but it’s not produced anymore unfortunately

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #5,853 of 6,236
Thanks for being such an important part of the Cayin community. Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

2022 Christmas Greeting.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 2, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #5,856 of 6,236
What totl headphones have best synergy with the C9? I’m considering lcd-5 or he1000se

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #5,857 of 6,236
What totl headphones have best synergy with the C9? I’m considering lcd-5 or he1000se
Both of those headphones are perfect for the C9. I even enjoy my Diana TC and Solitaire P’s out of the C9. It’s more than capable of driver almost any headphone.

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #5,859 of 6,236
Both of those headphones are perfect for the C9. I even enjoy my Diana TC and Solitaire P’s out of the C9. It’s more than capable of driver almost any headphone.
I’m asking because I use it as my ultimate system with the hugo2. I’m a freshman student, so I’m not really able to rotate gear that much. I see in your hp inventory you own the HEKse. Can you comment on the soundstage and dynamics out of c9? I’ve had meaningful time with lcd5 and liked the speed, clarity and midrange dynamics, but it was before I owned a c9. I’m dwelling which of these two would be better for me. I really care for spatial information

I haven’t tried Diana line that extensively and I would doubt phi or TC would be driven up to its potential with my setup. I appreciate the answers!

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #5,860 of 6,236
I’m asking because I use it as my ultimate system with the hugo2. I’m a freshman student, so I’m not really able to rotate gear that much. I see in your hp inventory you own the HEKse. Can you comment on the soundstage and dynamics out of c9? I’ve had meaningful time with lcd5 and liked the speed, clarity and midrange dynamics, but it was before I owned a c9. I’m dwelling which of these two would be better for me. I really care for spatial information

I haven’t tried Diana line that extensively and I would doubt phi or TC would be driven up to its potential with my setup. I appreciate the answers!
The HEKse is really easy to drive. The combo of the Hugo 2 and C9 will net you the same benefits as a dedicated desktop system. Meaning staging, dynamics, speed, resolution and clarity are all there with the HEKse. As an added bonus the C9 also has great tonality. As far as spatial information, I think both the LCD-5 and HEKse will get you that. The HEKse wins in bass and holography. The LCD-5 is more intimate sounding with slightly better transient snap. All other sonic attributes I give the edge to the HEKse.

I sold my LCD-5 and Hugo 2, in favor of the Mojo 2, before getting the C9. So my setup is the Mojo 2/C9, which is percentage points just behind the Hugo 2/C9 in overall sound quality. I sold my Hugo in favor of the Mojo 2 because of the EQ feature. I might has give up some quality, but the EQ feature makes it an ever better solution for me. Even though the Hugo 2 is the better overall DAC performance wise.

I disagree on Diana line being driven by the C9 with the Hugo 2/Mojo 2 as the DAC. The C9 has more power than the Broadway, which Abyss recommends for the Diana's. The C9 also sounds fuller and is just as dynamic and resolute as the Broadway. Like I said, my Diana TC's sounds outstanding out of the C9. The C9 has great driving ability and actually does perform like a desktop amp.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #5,861 of 6,236
Thank you for your inputs! Now I will be probably leaning towards the heks, as they are also cheaper
I disagree on Diana line being driven by the C9 with the Hugo 2/Mojo 2 as the DAC. The C9 has more power than the Broadway, which Abyss recommends for the Diana's. The C9 also sounds fuller and is just as dynamic and resolute as the Broadway. Like I said, my Diana TC's sounds outstanding out of the C9. The C9 has great driving ability and actually does perform like a desktop amp.
Interesting, I could consider the TC if I saved up a bit more. Would you say it‘s worth it on such system? Not sure how it competes spatially vs HEK

Jan 2, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #5,862 of 6,236
Thank you for your inputs! Now I will be probably leaning towards the heks, as they are also cheaper

Interesting, I could consider the TC if I saved up a bit more. Would you say it‘s worth it on such system? Not sure how it competes spatially vs HEK
I’d still lean towards the HEKse in this case. It is easier to drive and you’ll be getting the best sound all the time.

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #5,864 of 6,236
I agree with the HEXse another one that would benefit from this setup is the DCA Expanse.
It is a dope headphone and I actually travel a lot between the country I study in and my home country. Which would make this truly transportable setup very handy

Jan 2, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #5,865 of 6,236
It is a dope headphone and I actually travel a lot between the country I study in and my home country. Which would make this truly transportable setup very handy
Yeah, that’s what I like about the Expanse and Stealh. They are sturdy and pack up smaller than most high end cans. With the right power they will truly shine. The Cayin C9 brings out more of what these headphones have to offer than just a DAP or DAC. They will sound good, but to make them shine they need a little more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back