CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #241 of 707
Nice, second day is much easier. Sunday morning is less crowded and you can get to more listening stations without waiting long.

Follow up from day one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-11#post-18011752

Day 2 started with trying a few other HPs at Sennheiser and Audio-Technica.
Enjoyed the 660S2 as it fondly reminds me of my HD58X. I would get a 660S2 if I did not already own the 58X. The HD820 and 660S2 both performed well out of the Sennheiser HDV 820 amplifier and not bad at all jacked directly to my DAP. Sennheiser also had a record player running but was not sure where it was connected?
20240310_110158.jpg
20240310_110742.jpg
20240310_110746.jpg

Tried the ATH-AWAS and their higher end ATH-ADX5000 and also connected those straight to my DAP. Oddly the lower impedance AWAS sounded thinner than the 420 Ohm ADX5000 which sounded rather decent straight from the DAP. I think each of these would shine on good amps. The pretty AWKG in Kurogaki wood was there too and a popular attraction so I did not really want to wait for a turn.

20240310_123345.jpg
20240310_123339.jpg

Back to ZMF:

20240310_113847.jpg
20240310_113852.jpg
20240310_113921.jpg

Revisited the Caldera Closed on some excellent stations. The LTA Z10e paired very well as did the DCS Lina stack and Feliks Audio Envy. So, I would not normally play a blues rock track like “Good Love” by Black Keys w/Billy Gibbons on guitar on a planar HP vs a dynamic, but the Caldera Closed nailed it. Great work on the Caldera Closed and another well done product!
20240310_112728.jpg
20240310_125308.jpg
20240310_124011.jpg

First time trying the Holo stack. OK, it is true Bliss, wow!
20240310_115911.jpg
20240310_115950.jpg

This was a pretty Atrium open. Purple wood I think as it had a raspberry-like color. Sounded wonderful on the ZMF/Decware collaboration. My Decware CSP3 order is coming up on 2 years and looks like it will go over that mark on their build list. I’m patient and hoping later this summer it will arrive.
20240310_113331.jpg
20240310_113320.jpg

Liked the Benchmark HPA4 and the Nitsch Pietus Maximus. I have a Piety and it sounds good but the volume pot does cause a bit of noise as it turns. Other than that, it works well as a small HP amp. The Pietus Maximus is a good evolution from that with more power and gain settings. And looks like you can order a couple different DAC options with it.
20240310_114817.jpg
20240310_112145.jpg

Thanks again to the always cordial ZMF team for setting up several nice listening stations with fantastic amps/stacks!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #242 of 707
I need some caldera closed impressions. How was it???
This headphone sounded really good on a Cayin stack. I liked it less on the WA7 (3rd gen). Like all ZMFs, it has its own character that you can appreciate with each song you play.

At first, I was turned off by this headphone because I thought it was trying to give a home theater-type of presentation. But that's probably due to the person beside me playing nothing but Hans Zimmer lol.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #243 of 707
This headphone sounded really good on a Cayin stack. I liked it less on the WA7 (3rd gen). Like all ZMFs, it has its own character that you can appreciate with each song you play.

At first, I was turned off by this headphone because I thought it was trying to give a home theater-type of presentation. But that's probably due to the person beside me playing nothing but Hans Zimmer lol.
how would you say it compares to the open?

And lol the interstellar soundtrack will do that :)

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #244 of 707
how would you say it compares to the open?

And lol the interstellar soundtrack will do that :)
I didn't think the Calderas were 100% identical in sound signature. Rather, I'd say they were closely related. Both are fantastic options if money is no issue.

It's all about personal preference. I'd be 100% happy with an Aeolus and Atrium Closed.

The Calderas are certainly end-game worthy, but that isn't my cup of tea right now.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #245 of 707
Best DAC I've ever heard. Flat out fantastic and for $33,000 it better be.
Yes I was curious to check out due to being a big playback designs fan.

The playback has a more musical but still VERY detailed presentation, if you have not tried, I would give it a whirl.

I'm still thinking about that Portable Mass Kobo + Sony Dap + Storm combo... 1 + 1 + 1 = 5 type of wonderful.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #246 of 707
Did anyone try the new Crinacle Dusk or his colab with Kiwi Ears singolo?

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #247 of 707
I tried out the Moondrop Joker. It was a pretty impressive set of closed-back headphones for $80. The Truthears Nova was excellent, too. It's really good for $150. Balanced and detailed sound. Sound that surpasses its own price range and was putting up a good fight with my Penon Audio Fan.

Creative Labs has two products that caught my attention. The Aurvana Ace 2 and the Zen Hybrid Pro are set in my sights as potential candidates to join my collection. The Ace 2 has excellent sound quality and ANC. It's also IPX5 rated. So you can wear it in the rain. I could see myself using Ace 2 during study sessions or working out in the gym. Also, the xMEMS technology is no joke. The sound quality is precise. The Ace 2 sounded slightly north of neutral. Not enough bass to keep up with extremely bass-heavy tracks, but enough to be a good all-rounder. The mids and treble aren't shrill or shouty. There's something about that xMEMS technology that impresses me. One last thing about the Ace 2 is that it's very lightweight, and I really mean it. It's as light as a feather. It's the lightest TWS I have ever held. How did they do this!?!

Now, onto the Zen Hybrid Pro. These headphones are finely crafted for extended wear for music and gaming sessions. This includes wearing and battery life. It's rated for 100 hours of battery life without ANC, but 40% volume with ANC will reduce that to 80 hours. It was insanely impressive, and the sound pushed it further. Its Titanium Dynamic Driver didn't dimish the bass response but instead dampened it enough to provide a V-shaped sound signature (Enhanced bass and enhanced treble). The bass isn't overbearing, and I can see myself using it for COD, Helldivers 2, and Cyberpunk 2077. It has a sound signature that will appeal to the masses. I look forward to regularly using it.

I'll post some info about the Fiio M23 and how some initial impressions on how it compares to my Fiio M11 Plus LTD.

Now, as for the M23, it's slimmer than my M11 Plus LTD. The volume panel is a bit rougher to the touch, which is better for adjusting the volume. As for the UI, it's similar, but I didn't get too far into it. The sound is phenomenal for $700. It has a notably better portrayal of sound quality than the M11 Plus LTD. But that's because it added more weight in the mids and cleaned up the highs a bit. The staging a tad larger, and that's all I remember from that.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #248 of 707
Under $3K, my two winners of the day are the Meze 109 and Dan Clark E3. I couldn't believe how enjoyable these two headphones were.

I own the Focal Clear OGs, and I'd trade them for the Meze 109s in a heartbeat. The E3s were close enough to the Dan Clark Stealth IMO, and I bet they're easier to drive. Both of these headphones sounded fantastic on the Topping DX9.

At $3K, I've got to give it to the Meze Empyrean. Like the 109 pros, all thinking went out the window with these headphones. Just shut up and enjoy the damn music bro... that's exactly what I did with each and every song I played.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #249 of 707
I purchased the Kiwi Ears Allegro. It's a neat USB dongle with energy and two auxiliary connections (both 3.5mm and 4.4mm). Only cost me $42 at the show.

I paired the Allegro with the DUNU SA6 and Glacier. Both had a resounding matchup.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #250 of 707
About to board my flight back to Houston. What a wonderful weekend! To all the Head Fi staff and vendors, thank you so much.

IMG_9278.jpeg

I am absolutely exhausted but I’d do it again in a heartbeat, maybe this time with less drinking at night and more rest 🤪😅

To everyone who I met for the first or second time and had great conversations with.. It was a pleasure.

Show highlights for me:

Subtonic Storm from iBasso PB5
Subtonic Storm from MASSKobo 465 with 8 wire Sovereign
Traillii Ti
Lotoo Mjolnir
AK SP3000T & NOVUS
Elysian Pilgrim
Nightjar Duality & Sovereign cables
Symphonium Crimson & Titan
How fo yo like SP3KT compared to SP3K from memory?
Not a huge downgrade in SQ in SS mode compared to 2000 series this time, right?

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #251 of 707
How fo yo like SP3KT compared to SP3K from memory?
Not a huge downgrade in SQ in SS mode compared to 2000 series this time, right?

I liked the SP3000T more than the SP3000 for my current tastes I suppose? It was warmer and more meaty/bassy. The resolution and clarity wasn’t on the same level as SP3900 but I felt the DAP was more soulful. I only listened to it briefly though. I also noticed AK did a better job at shielding the tubes compared to the SP2000T. I compared it to the gold SP3000 right afterwards.

I wouldn’t say it was a downgrade versus SP3000 but more so a different flavor.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #252 of 707
Did anyone try the new Crinacle Dusk or his colab with Kiwi Ears singolo?
I tried a couple times but someone always had the singolo in! I saw the dusk box but not sure if they were there for demo. Definitely interested in impressions if anyone here got to try either!

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #253 of 707
I liked the SP3000T more than the SP3000 for my current tastes I suppose? It was warmer and more meaty/bassy. The resolution and clarity wasn’t on the same level as SP3900 but I felt the DAP was more soulful. I only listened to it briefly though. I also noticed AK did a better job at shielding the tubes compared to the SP2000T. I compared it to the gold SP3000 right afterwards.

I wouldn’t say it was a downgrade versus SP3000 but more so a different flavor.

The SP3000T with Tube Mode shook me to the core. It completely revitalized my Penon Audio Volt with such vigor. My Penon Audio Volt was pushed to the next level.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #255 of 707
Yes I was curious to check out due to being a big playback designs fan.

The playback has a more musical but still VERY detailed presentation, if you have not tried, I would give it a whirl.

I'm still thinking about that Portable Mass Kobo + Sony Dap + Storm combo... 1 + 1 + 1 = 5 type of wonderful.
I haven’t tried Playback yet. Kinda feel both the Rossini and the Playback stuff is more 2 channel. Haven’t decided if a headphone system needs a DAC of that ilk.

They are both outside my discretionary income. But the Rossini I got to hear in Dallas blew me away. It was so much better than the Bartok and Lina I was shocked. The low level detail was astounding.

I got a chance to spend some time listening to this amp (the upcoming Headamp CFA3) on Saturday. I was also expecting it to run hot, so I touched the heatsinks a bit. Definitely hot, but not too hot to touch.

headamp-cfa3-20240309.jpg
Great to hear. My CFA3 gets warm but not hot. The power supply gets warmer than the amp for sure. I like the form factor of the smaller CFA3. Just what to do with that transformer…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back