CanJam London 2018 Impressions Thread (July 21-22, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #156 of 186
Bassy and smooth, the C is so very, very much not my regular preferred sound — yet I kept coming back for more. I'm going to wind up buying one of these.
Any idea what the price would be like? Release date?
I will have to add those to my listen list for RMAF...

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #157 of 186
Any idea what the price would be like? Release date?
I will have to add those to my listen list for RMAF...
The price is $399, in other words it follows the pattern of previous most exotic material (Be) + $100. Be is still the "best/preferred sound by most people" (including Dan himself) and C is more of a "for people who like something different" offering. Dan said reactions to C were split along love-'em / hate-'em lines with nobody really being in the middle (sort of like Marmite if you're in the UK :) ).

Availability: he had one prototype with him, but he says now he's got the process worked out and he can go to production really quickly. Whether that means there will be availability in time for RMAF I don't know, but from his confidence about the process I'm really sure he'll at least have more than the one sample with him by then.

Edit: Dan also said he has something else really interesting to show at RMAF, not under the Periodic Audio company but a separate startup making high performance speaker drivers. He didn't describe any of the tech, but the specs he quoted were pretty insane.

Editing again to namecheck @DanWiggins so he can correct any misstatements on my part.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #158 of 186
While I'm not big into full size cans and desktop setups, I remember trying Meze Empyrean at CanJam NYC in Feb, straight from 3.5mm of WM1Z and the sound was fast, lean, more toward a brighter side. Now, reading impressions with Empyrean sound being warmer and natural, should I assume that CJ NYC prototype was finalized with an updated tuning or were you guys driving it from a warmer desktop setup?
It wasn't lean, but I wouldn't call it warm. I listened out of the DAVE, fantastically detailed with great body and a touch of sweetness in the mids. The Empyrean was a show highlight to me also. I'll be writing up tonight my impressions and trying to get one for review when they are ready. I think it's going to be a better value than the HE-1000 v2 and I love me some HE-1000 v2.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #159 of 186
The price is $399, in other words it follows the pattern of previous most exotic material (Be) + $100. Be is still the "best/preferred sound by most people" (including Dan himself) and C is more of a "for people who like something different" offering. Dan said reactions to C were split along love-'em / hate-'em lines with nobody really being in the middle (sort of like Marmite if you're in the UK :) ).

Availability: he had one prototype with him, but he says now he's got the process worked out and he can go to production really quickly. Whether that means there will be availability in time for RMAF I don't know, but from his confidence about the process I'm really sure he'll at least have more than the one sample with him by then.

Edit: Dan also said he has something else really interesting to show at RMAF, not under the Periodic Audio company but a separate startup making high performance speaker drivers. He didn't describe any of the tech, but the specs he quoted were pretty insane.

Editing again to namecheck @DanWiggins so he can correct any misstatements on my part.
Thanks for the info!
Will look forward to see (hear) the C at RMAF and whatever crazy new thing he's got :wink:

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #161 of 186
Just got back to San Diego and wanted to say thanks to everyone who came by the suite upstairs for a listen, always a pleasure meeting the UK enthusiasts!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #162 of 186
Just got back to San Diego and wanted to say thanks to everyone who came by the suite upstairs for a listen, always a pleasure meeting the UK enthusiasts!
Dan, I had to sign in just to say thank you for such a wonderful stand at the show, by far my favorite. I actually went to the show thinking i'd like to try the ZMF line up and maybe look for a tube amp that might complement my HD800S. I'll admit I first walked up to your table being most interested in trying the Schiit multibit tube options but as soon as I tried the Aeons, then the Aeon Closed, then the Ether Flows all my plans went out the window. I was the irritating guy on Saturday who made 2 separate visits to the stand and insisted on trying all of your cans on the lyr 3 and the mjolnir 2. Then again with the after market cables you pulled out!

I was so blown away by the Ether Flow opens I walked straight down stairs and ordered a pair from Hifonix!

Thank you again for being kind and patient enough to allow me try out all the various gear options, I can't wait for the flows to arrive!

Could you tell me again what the white after market cable you pulled was please? Also what was the name of the cool electro track you suggested? I meant to make a note of it but was too busy enjoying the Flows.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #163 of 186
Dan, I had to sign in just to say thank you for such a wonderful stand at the show, by far my favorite.

I was so blown away by the Ether Flow opens I walked straight down stairs and ordered a pair from Hifonix!

Thank you again for being kind and patient enough to allow me try out all the various gear options, I can't wait for the flows to arrive!

Could you tell me again what the white after market cable you pulled was please? Also what was the name of the cool electro track you suggested? I meant to make a note of it but was too busy enjoying the Flows.

Thanks for coming by! I had fun demonstrating the cables, a couple of cable skeptics had a "oh" moment. That's a WyWires platinum... And thanks for becoming a customer!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 24, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #164 of 186
Thanks for coming by! I had fun demonstrating the cables, a couple of cable skeptics had a "oh" moment. That's a WyWires platinum... And thanks for becoming a customer!
I shall bother you at RMAF. I'm hoping you'll have a Kimber Axios handy as well! I'll bring my Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #165 of 186
WyWires Red gave me that ''oh" moment years ago with the HD650. I wish I'd had time to get to you. Next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back