Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #467 of 554
Ray's latest recommendation is the OPA1611 mounted on a Brown Dog adapter.
Any suggestions of where to purchase the OPA1611 on Brown Dogs for cheap? I can solder the opamp to the Brown Dogs too if it will save money. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #468 of 554
Any suggestions of where to purchase the OPA1611 on Brown Dogs for cheap? I can solder the opamp to the Brown Dogs too if it will save money. Thanks.
Try here:

https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/browndog-970601-so8-to-dip8-adapter

Under the component drop down there is a whole list of options with the OPA1611.

If you go to the main menu, you can select the opamp only.

https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/texas-instruments-opa1611aid-single-channel-op-amp

Good luck.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #469 of 554
Dec 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #472 of 554
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #475 of 554
Depends on where you use them.
Also Muses seems to need a more filtered power supply than Burson Op-Amps.
I used them on an Asus STX - Muses 01 in I/V and 02 in Buffer. Not bad sounding at all but a bit too noisy due to PC power supply. I tried 02 in I/V and 01 in Buffer and the sound was horrible - almost only bass. In the end I put v5i instead and sound was the best from all I've tried, for a while. After some burn in it wasn't as good as when new - but I didn't do the capacitor mod that these requires on a STX. Still sounds good.
I've tried Muses also in Play and Topping D10 - buffer only.
All I can say 01 are more balanced OP-AMPs than 02 who are more dynamic, but also more bass oriented.
You can say that 01 is more close to V6 Classics and 02 to V6 Vivids, but not the same, especially 02.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #476 of 554
In my last adventure with a Burson Audio operational amplifier (op amp for short), we test drove the Burson V6 Vivid op amp in a $160 Little Dot I plus headphone amplifier. You can relive all of our fun by following this link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...sion-and-reviews.854912/page-31#post-16542424

Today, we begin a new adventure with Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps invite the promise of a fresh take on the modern op amp front. The Burson Audio V6 Classic is Burson Audio’s alternative to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid op amp for those of you seeking a change of flavor, or perhaps for those of you seeking to update an older or poor performing op amp.

IMG_2140.jpg
02.jpg

To start with, we are going to liven up this experiment by utilizing a Ray Samuels HR-2 solid state headphone amplifier. The HR-2 is an $875 ultra-detailed amplifier which has been in production for approximately two decades and is still manufactured and sold today. However the stock op amp, an AD797, is twenty years old. The AD797 op amp was one of the finest available op amps at the time that this amplifier was introduced back in 2003. But much can change over twenty years. While able to reproduce extreme detail and clarity with the stock AD797 op amp, presentation can sound a bit lacking compared to many modern headphone amplifiers that contain newer op amps. Many headphone enthusiasts are able to remedy this by simply swapping out their old op amps with modern offerings.

03.jpg

Reflecting back upon the year 2003, I recall a prominent intense focus of many on a quest for improved detail and clarity from their audio gear. Today, audio enthusiasts along with modern headphone gear, have evolved to expect vast spectrums of heightened characteristics from what has grown into today's vast array of enormous selection of radically evolved audio products. When listening to newer headphone amplifiers side by side to the Ray Samuels HR-2 containing the original stock AD797 op amp, one can readily hear the greater extreme detail that the more expensive HR-2 is able to reproduce. However, the HR-2 presents this detailed sound with comparatively less dynamics, and dimension, leaving much to be desired. In it’s old stock form, this headphone amplifier lacks excitement, yielding a very lackluster unentertaining presentation.

04.jpg

05.jpg

In spirit akin to Dr. Frankenstein, will a pair of cutting edge Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps bring the dead back to life? Can the Burson Audio V6 Classic op amp transform this dated amplifier to relevant modern standards? To find out, we need only swap in the new Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps to observe improvements. By simply removing the top cover of the amplifier (held by four screws), I easily pulled out the old pair of AD797 op amps from the 8-pin sockets and then replaced them in the correct orientation with a brand new pair of Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. Repeating this installation process multiple times, I was able to note various listening comparisons going back and forth between the old op amps and the new Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps.

IMG_2091.jpg

Did it work? To begin with, music definitely took on new characteristics. The Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps brought on psychedelics, intimacy, and coziness to name a few of the newly realized improvements. The sound stage became seamless and enveloping. The imaging grew from zero to ultra intense imaging. Rich dynamics improved drastically. Overall, the Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps had made this old amplifier sound like a much modern expensive amplifier. At one point, crazy good imaging fooled my brain into thinking someone was in my hallway. I took off my headphones revealing that what I had heard was from the Adelle track I had been playing. This had most definitely been an improvement.

IMG_2086.jpg

I continued to complete more comparisons with my modern amplifiers to the newly installed Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. This upgrade sometimes did yield a narrower sound stage compared to many modern amplifiers, but the imaging abilities of the Burson Audio V6 Classic performed marvelously. Within an imagined matrix of the perceived sonic environment of each recording, an image would fill coordinates in perceived space unconstrained. Where many of my modern amplifiers restricted this to a horizontal plane of perception of left to right, the Burson Audio V6 Classic upgrade formed entirely audible holograms seemingly existing in distinct perceived space containing virtual performers and instruments. With the Burson Audio V6 Classic, violins and orchestra could also project up above the stage to accompany a singer instead of remaining an afterthought placed behind them as backup. The chorus could fill airiness with echoes instead of dull stationary reverberations remaining next to the singer on the stage. Like a fog, sound rolled onto the foot of the stage. Sound also rose up above filling caverns of reflected micro reverberations opening up perceived virtual spaces. A much larger accompaniment projected deeper emotion from the music. It had become much easier to connect with the music or get momentarily transported away with envelopment. Sometimes, I was inadvertently, effortlessly carried away with Burson Audio V6 Classic.

Additionally, the Burson Audio V6 Classic recreated realistic reproduction of prerecorded environments. With a couple of amplifiers, my brain is cognizant that I am listening to a recording and cannot be fooled by their overly forward presentation. The Burson Audio V6 Classic’s enveloping presentation will persuade me to lose myself within the realism. It’s envelope of realism is off the charts. Individual piano strings resonate around me. Instrumentation seemed to be fuller. Even low frequencies typically from bass and tuba appear to fill the environment.

Finally, I would like to make one more distinction about listening at lower volumes with Burson Audio V6 Classic. I often find that I enjoy listening at lower than average volumes. With some amplifiers, I find that I have to raise the volume level to compensate for the loss of clarity. I am pleased that with Burson Audio V6 Classic, my amplifier was able to return to lower volumes while maintaining buttery smooth performance, retaining dynamic punch, pop and clarity. In the long run, listening at these lower volumes could prove safer for the health of my hearing.

Where could the Burson Audio V6 Classic improve? Some very high end amplifiers exhibit more refined highs compared to what I was hearing from Burson Audio V6 Classics. As a personal preference, I have developed an appreciation for clear refined high frequency reproduction. I have friends that prefer recessed treble for a darker or smoother relaxed presentation such as the well known characteristic some find appealing in the Sennheiser HD650 headphone. This might be good for someone looking for a non fatiguing listening session or perhaps someone that likes to listen at higher volumes without the toll of shrieking treble. Some seek this characteristic in order to listen over longer listening periods or perhaps to remove shouty-ness from their system. Conversely, some would describe this as losing its sparkle. I am of the latter group. A minority that happen to dislike the HD650 headphone on all solid state amplifiers because I do not enjoy overly dark or mellow presentations. It is a personal taste that one determines individually. In this case, with the Burson Audio V6 Classic, I do hear this recessed treble characteristic. So, I prefer the Burson Audio V6 Vivid over the Burson Audio V6 Classic. The Burson Audio V6 Vivid being more brilliant and sparkly. Which my brain translates to liveliness.

99.jpg

As you can see, the Burson Audio V6 Classic succeeded in reviving my classic headphone amplifier. I am, however, going to have to give the nod to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid over the Burson Audio V6 Classic as my preferred op amp. You however may prefer the Classic, as we all have different ears and each have our own unique personal preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #477 of 554
In my last adventure with a Burson Audio operational amplifier (op amp for short), we test drove the Burson V6 Vivid op amp in a $160 Little Dot I plus headphone amplifier. You can relive all of our fun by following this link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...sion-and-reviews.854912/page-31#post-16542424

Today, we begin a new adventure with Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps invite the promise of a fresh take on the modern op amp front. The Burson Audio V6 Classic is Burson Audio’s alternative to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid op amp for those of you seeking a change of flavor, or perhaps for those of you seeking to update an older or poor performing op amp.

To start with, we are going to liven up this experiment by utilizing a Ray Samuels HR-2 solid state headphone amplifier. The HR-2 is an $875 ultra-detailed amplifier which has been in production for approximately two decades and is still manufactured and sold today. However the stock op amp, an AD797, is twenty years old. The AD797 op amp was one of the finest available op amps at the time that this amplifier was introduced back in 2003. But much can change over twenty years. While able to reproduce extreme detail and clarity with the stock AD797 op amp, presentation can sound a bit lacking compared to many modern headphone amplifiers that contain newer op amps. Many headphone enthusiasts are able to remedy this by simply swapping out their old op amps with modern offerings.

Reflecting back upon the year 2003, I recall a prominent intense focus of many on a quest for improved detail and clarity from their audio gear. Today, audio enthusiasts along with modern headphone gear, have evolved to expect vast spectrums of heightened characteristics from what has grown into today's vast array of enormous selection of radically evolved audio products. When listening to newer headphone amplifiers side by side to the Ray Samuels HR-2 containing the original stock AD797 op amp, one can readily hear the greater extreme detail that the more expensive HR-2 is able to reproduce. However, the HR-2 presents this detailed sound with comparatively less dynamics, and dimension, leaving much to be desired. In it’s old stock form, this headphone amplifier lacks excitement, yielding a very lackluster unentertaining presentation.

In spirit akin to Dr. Frankenstein, will a pair of cutting edge Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps bring the dead back to life? Can the Burson Audio V6 Classic op amp transform this dated amplifier to relevant modern standards? To find out, we need only swap in the new Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps to observe improvements. By simply removing the top cover of the amplifier (held by four screws), I easily pulled out the old pair of AD797 op amps from the 8-pin sockets and then replaced them in the correct orientation with a brand new pair of Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. Repeating this installation process multiple times, I was able to note various listening comparisons going back and forth between the old op amps and the new Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps.

Did it work? To begin with, music definitely took on new characteristics. The Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps brought on psychedelics, intimacy, and coziness to name a few of the newly realized improvements. The sound stage became seamless and enveloping. The imaging grew from zero to ultra intense imaging. Rich dynamics improved drastically. Overall, the Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps had made this old amplifier sound like a much modern expensive amplifier. At one point, crazy good imaging fooled my brain into thinking someone was in my hallway. I took off my headphones revealing that what I had heard was from the Adelle track I had been playing. This had most definitely been an improvement.

I continued to complete more comparisons with my modern amplifiers to the newly installed Burson Audio V6 Classic op amps. This upgrade sometimes did yield a narrower sound stage compared to many modern amplifiers, but the imaging abilities of the Burson Audio V6 Classic performed marvelously. Within an imagined matrix of the perceived sonic environment of each recording, an image would fill coordinates in perceived space unconstrained. Where many of my modern amplifiers restricted this to a horizontal plane of perception of left to right, the Burson Audio V6 Classic upgrade formed entirely audible holograms seemingly existing in distinct perceived space containing virtual performers and instruments. With the Burson Audio V6 Classic, violins and orchestra could also project up above the stage to accompany a singer instead of remaining an afterthought placed behind them as backup. The chorus could fill airiness with echoes instead of dull stationary reverberations remaining next to the singer on the stage. Like a fog, sound rolled onto the foot of the stage. Sound also rose up above filling caverns of reflected micro reverberations opening up perceived virtual spaces. A much larger accompaniment projected deeper emotion from the music. It had become much easier to connect with the music or get momentarily transported away with envelopment. Sometimes, I was inadvertently, effortlessly carried away with Burson Audio V6 Classic.

Additionally, the Burson Audio V6 Classic recreated realistic reproduction of prerecorded environments. With a couple of amplifiers, my brain is cognizant that I am listening to a recording and cannot be fooled by their overly forward presentation. The Burson Audio V6 Classic’s enveloping presentation will persuade me to lose myself within the realism. It’s envelope of realism is off the charts. Individual piano strings resonate around me. Instrumentation seemed to be fuller. Even low frequencies typically from bass and tuba appear to fill the environment.

Finally, I would like to make one more distinction about listening at lower volumes with Burson Audio V6 Classic. I often find that I enjoy listening at lower than average volumes. With some amplifiers, I find that I have to raise the volume level to compensate for the loss of clarity. I am pleased that with Burson Audio V6 Classic, my amplifier was able to return to lower volumes while maintaining buttery smooth performance, retaining dynamic punch, pop and clarity. In the long run, listening at these lower volumes could prove safer for the health of my hearing.

Where could the Burson Audio V6 Classic improve? Some very high end amplifiers exhibit more refined highs compared to what I was hearing from Burson Audio V6 Classics. As a personal preference, I have developed an appreciation for clear refined high frequency reproduction. I have friends that prefer recessed treble for a darker or smoother relaxed presentation such as the well known characteristic some find appealing in the Sennheiser HD650 headphone. This might be good for someone looking for a non fatiguing listening session or perhaps someone that likes to listen at higher volumes without the toll of shrieking treble. Some seek this characteristic in order to listen over longer listening periods or perhaps to remove shouty-ness from their system. Conversely, some would describe this as losing its sparkle. I am of the latter group. A minority that happen to dislike the HD650 headphone on all solid state amplifiers because I do not enjoy overly dark or mellow presentations. It is a personal taste that one determines individually. In this case, with the Burson Audio V6 Classic, I do hear this recessed treble characteristic. So, I prefer the Burson Audio V6 Vivid over the Burson Audio V6 Classic. The Burson Audio V6 Vivid being more brilliant and sparkly. Which my brain translates to liveliness.

As you can see, the Burson Audio V6 Classic succeeded in reviving my classic headphone amplifier. I am, however, going to have to give the nod to the Burson Audio V6 Vivid over the Burson Audio V6 Classic as my preferred op amp. You however may prefer the Classic, as we all have different ears and each have our own unique personal preferences.
Interesting! I was talking with RSA this weekend and sent him a link to your write up. A couple of things he mentioned was your HR-2 is one of the first 10 ever built. Second on any comparison he suggested listening with no music playing for hiss as the volume increases. The better the chip, the lower if any hiss at maximum volume. He has used the same chips in his phono stages and with phono amplification there is even larger need for quiet chips. He suggested the best test would use IEMs instead of the HD-600 as they are much more sensitive.

It looks like you have a pair of opamps sitting next to the HR-6, are those the 1611s. If they are, I look forward to your comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #478 of 554
Interesting! I was talking with RSA this weekend and sent him a link to your write up. A couple of things he mentioned was your HR-2 is one of the first 10 ever built. Second on any comparison he suggested listening with no music playing for hiss as the volume increases. The better the chip, the lower if any hiss at maximum volume. He has used the same chips in his phono stages and with phono amplification there is even larger need for quiet chips. He suggested the best test would use IEMs instead of the HD-600 as they are much more sensitive.

It looks like you have a pair of opamps sitting next to the HR-6, are those the 1611s. If they are, I look forward to your comparison.
I actually happen to be rolling in some AD825 when I took these photos. Ray suggested OPA1611 so I am eager to hear what they can do. I have some OPA1611 but I have not yet gotten around to soldering them to the dip-8 adapters. I actually installed the AD825 in the mean time, and they actually sound very good. Since I have been using the AD825 in my XP-7 as well for over a year so I am used to their sound signature but the HR-2 really puts them on steroids.
Yeah, Ray is a genius at creating wonderous amplifiers and power supplies. He is a true artists. Owning a Ray Samuels amp it is like owning a piece of fine art for the ears. His creations have brought so much joy to my life . My two tube amplifiers made by Ray Samuels, are my finest pieces of my amplifier collection.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #479 of 554
I actually happen to be rolling in some AD825 when I took these photos. Ray suggested OPA1611 so I am eager to hear what they can do. I have some OPA1611 but I have not yet gotten around to soldering them to the dip-8 adapters. I actually installed the AD825 in the mean time, and they actually sound very good. Since I have been using the AD825 in my XP-7 as well for over a year so I am used to their sound signature but the HR-2 really puts them on steroids.
Yeah, Ray is a genius at creating wonderous amplifiers and power supplies. He is a true artists. Owning a Ray Samuels amp it is like owning a piece of fine art for the ears. His creations have brought so much joy to my life . My two tube amplifiers made by Ray Samuels, are my finest pieces of my amplifier collection.
Which 2 tube amps do you have? I have the Stealth, Raptor and A-10.

Also the XP-7 with power supply is selling pretty well still in Japan.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #480 of 554
Which 2 tube amps do you have? I have the Stealth, Raptor and A-10.

Also the XP-7 with power supply is selling pretty well still in Japan.
Wow! Those are some high-end, endgame amplifiers you have there. I will never be able to afford those in this lifetime. I bet they sound and look amazing. I have two Raptor tube amps in my main listening rig. I finally acquired a pair of ZMF Aeolus headphones for some heightened dynamic driver/tube fun and my two RSA Raptors are brining a level of performance that is new to me. This hobby has grown and taken off rapidly for me in the past two years. It is a great time in headphone audio and I think we are witnessing the peak summit of some really great gear and prices. I am going to soak it up before it disappears as I fear the worst is coming over the next decade due to the health and economy storms that are coming. These might take a toll on the availability of good sounding and good value audio gear.

Japan seems to be very selective on using the best audio gear. So, I believe it. I still use my XP-7 a lot which I purchased when it first came out. I finally bought an XP-7 power supply from Ray about a year ago as I had been only using 9volt batteries for nearly 18 years. It is comforting to know that I have good sound available should the power ever go out by just installing two 9volt batteries. From my gear, the XP-7 pairs well with Beyerdynamic DT880 and Monoprice M1570.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back