Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #676 of 766
Upgraded from DT1770 to T5 Gen3. Happy! Like night and day! These drivers are amazing, with EQ you can do kind of everything. Note, if standart softskin pads will be replaced to velour (as I did, took them from DT1770) - low end will be rolled off. But again, as drivers are very capable, just with EQ we can "fix" this. Im using ADI-2 DAC FS and LG V60. On both need to add from 5 to 7 dB on low end.

+1 on the EQ.
With only minor tweaks...these issues being mentioned can be cleared up with ease, leaving a super resolving headphones with impact and great soundstage.

I used to think using EQ was besides the point of getting high end gear....but there is no perfect headphone for me, only close enough. EQ fixes that.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #677 of 766
I used to think using EQ was besides the point of getting high end gear

Some folks who own very costly setups still EQ them and are happy, so each to his/hers own :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 20, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #678 of 766
Upgraded from DT1770 to T5 Gen3. Happy! Like night and day! These drivers are amazing, with EQ you can do kind of everything. Note, if standart softskin pads will be replaced to velour (as I did, took them from DT1770) - low end will be rolled off. But again, as drivers are very capable, just with EQ we can "fix" this. Im using ADI-2 DAC FS and LG V60. On both need to add from 5 to 7 dB on low end.
what eq profile do you use with these?

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #680 of 766
The T5.3 are quite horrible headphones tbh. I would rather go with the Dan Clark Aeon if you want closed backs or tried to get the Focal Radiance from sale/open box.
Dont agree, i compared Aeon 2 Closed and T5.3 side by side a couple of weeks before selling A2C. Always ended up with T5.3 when i just wanted to listen to music. Sure, A2C is more neutral, got more speed and separation but music just sounds so much more pleasing, flowy and organic in T5.3. I really think the details are there but without peaky planar treble. Nowdays i run them balanced in ”presense” mode on iFi Gryphon wich really make the mids and especially female voices sound even better and not muddy at all. I thing ZMFs Beyer pads make the stadge even wider and deeper too. T5.3 is more feeling than analytic. Great closed back IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #681 of 766
Dont agree, i compared Aeon 2 Closed and T5.3 side by side a couple of weeks before selling A2C. Always ended up with T5.3 when i just wanted to listen to music. Sure, A2C is more neutral, got more speed and separation but music just sounds so much more pleasing, flowy and organic in T5.3. I really think the details are there but without peaky planar treble. Nowdays i run them balanced in ”presense” mode on iFi Gryphon wich really make the mids and especially female voices sound even better and not muddy at all. I thing ZMFs Beyer pads make the stadge even wider and deeper too. T5.3 is more feeling than analytic. Great closed back IMO.
I am tempted by the T5.3 but I haven't heard it myself yet. Would you say that the treble on the T5.3 is more subdued that in the Aeon 2 Closed?

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #682 of 766

How is the comfort on the ZMF beyer pads? My only problem with Beyer's is the clamp force is a bit strong and they get a bit hot on my ears. Ideally I'd want them to be more comfortable. Would be nice to keep very similar sound profile but with better comfort....

I found that Dekoni pads didn't really do it since they are very thick and actually added to the clamp force.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #683 of 766
How is the comfort on the ZMF beyer pads? My only problem with Beyer's is the clamp force is a bit strong and they get a bit hot on my ears. Ideally I'd want them to be more comfortable. Would be nice to keep very similar sound profile but with better comfort....

I found that Dekoni pads didn't really do it since they are very thick and actually added to the clamp force.
You know you can try to bend the headband a little to get rid of some of the clamp force? I think ZMF pads are a little bit softer in both foam and leather. And they are also a little bit wider inside with thinner walls. My opinion is that they sound better than Dekoni (got all Dekonis for Beyer).

Sep 12, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #684 of 766
You know you can try to bend the headband a little to get rid of some of the clamp force? I think ZMF pads are a little bit softer in both foam and leather. And they are also a little bit wider inside with thinner walls. My opinion is that they sound better than Dekoni (got all Dekonis for Beyer).

Thanks for the input! I've tried bending them a bit...so the clamp is better than stock, but I suppose the stock pads are just not ideal for long listening sessions. Maybe unfair to compare them to the Dan Clark Aeon's I had, with super soft pads which were supremely comfortable and could be worn forever.

I will probably order a set of the ZMF pads....but am a bit hesitant because the change in sound since I currently have them EQ'd just how I like them (modified Oratory 1990 settings) to clear up low-mid bloom.

I also have the Dekoni's but they were just too thick and the foam too stiff for my taste/comfort.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #686 of 766
I bought the T5 3rd gen. Connected Phone via Bluetooth on Qudelix 5K > T5.

Is a Qudelix 5K „enough“ for the T5? Would a balanced cable improve the sound? If yes, which balance cable would you recommend?

Is there anything else which I can buy/use to improve the sound?

Thank you!

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #687 of 766

Is a Qudelix 5K „enough“ for the T5? Would a balanced cable improve the sound? If yes, which balance cable would you recommend?

Thank you!
The T5 models were always easy to drive, so I don't think the Qudelix would have a problem there. Personally I did not like the rather lean sound of the 5K, but many do like it quite a bit, so that may be more a matter of taste. And maybe even an advantage with the T5.3, which is said to be on the warm side anyway.

Generally I think balanced is not worth the effort except for really power-hungry models (many planars are in this category). Depending on the amp implementation the single ended version might be implemented less well of course, that depends on the specific model and is not an inherent problem with single ended amps. Take e.g. Hugo: excellent single ended output.

I do have an original Beyerdynamic 2.5mm symmetric cable for T1/T5 somewhere in my archive. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #688 of 766

Thank you!

I can highly recommend replacing original pads with Dekoni Choice Suede - these are closest to the original tuning, but much more comfortable and seal surprisingly well.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #689 of 766
Because of Black Friday sales, I will buy a FAW Noir Hybrid for my T5.3. However, the page choice is for T5p Gen 2 available. I'm not sure whether the connectors of both models are same. Please confirm. Thank you in advance.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #690 of 766
Because of Black Friday sales, I will buy a FAW Noir Hybrid for my T5.3. However, the page choice is for T5p Gen 2 available. I'm not sure whether the connectors of both models are same. Please confirm. Thank you in advance.
The connectors on the headphone are unchanged from gen 2, still 3.5mm sockets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back